Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Gold Amex Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Gold Amex Question

Hello all,

I recently was approved for a Delta Amex and my billing cycle is from the 12th and closes on the 13th of every month. I would like to make sure my Credit utilization percentage is low. What date does AMEX report your balance to the Big 3. Do they report the first balance of my first billing cycle or will it take longer.

Thank You for your help 😊
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Delta Gold Amex Question

@K-in-Boston 

Message 2 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For new accounts it usually takes AMEX two billing cycles before they finally report the bureaus so you have some time to get your utilization in order
Message 3 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

I recently was approved for a Delta Amex and my billing cycle is from the 12th and closes on the 13th of every month. I would like to make sure my Credit utilization percentage is low. What date does AMEX report your balance to the Big 3. Do they report the first balance of my first billing cycle or will it take longer.

Amex can be slow to report a new account (as in 1.5 or maybe 2 months after opening), especially if it's for a new customer with no other Amex history.

That said, I think all I've seen them report is statement balances, so the exact timing of when they report wouldn't change what they report.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BCP reports around the 10th of the month, my due date is the 4th. 

If you're looking for low utilzation, you'll want to pay prior to the statement cut date, any charge after that will go on the next month's statement. So they will only report the balance that is owed when the statement cuts, regardless of when they report. 

Message 5 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Just to clear up one thing so that it never bites you, with American Express your due date will always be the same day, however your statement closing date will change at times.  You will always have at least 25 days between statement date and due date, however.  All of my Amex accounts are set for due dates on the 27th so that the statements would all close on the 2nd.  For years that held true until 01 NOV, when all of my cards strangely closed on the 1st of the month.  (That hurt me because I had reached the $30,000 spending on Delta Reserve to get the Mileage Boost to move me up from Gold Medallion to Platinum Medallion.  I had pending charges that finalized on the 2nd, but a $3 credit for Lowe's on an Amex Offer caused me to be at $29,999 year-to-date spend when the statement closed a day early and I had to wait a whole month for the next statement to get the MQM and SkyMiles bonus.)

Fortunately, Amex puts your statement closing date in several conspicuous spots so you'll always see it as long as you are actually looking for it.  As already stated, Amex will only report the statement balance to the credit bureaus.  I have been getting alerts all day about my accounts posting, so 3 days later seems to be when it gets updated with the bureaus for me.  It is very rare for American Express cards to ever show up on your credit reports prior to the second statement closing.

Message 6 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Just to clear up one thing so that it never bites you, with American Express your due date will always be the same day, however your statement closing date will change at times.  You will always have at least 25 days between statement date and due date, however.  All of my Amex accounts are set for due dates on the 27th so that the statements would all close on the 2nd.  For years that held true until 01 NOV, when all of my cards strangely closed on the 1st of the month.  (That hurt me because I had reached the $30,000 spending on Delta Reserve to get the Mileage Boost to move me up from Gold Medallion to Platinum Medallion.  I had pending charges that finalized on the 2nd, but a $3 credit for Lowe's on an Amex Offer caused me to be at $29,999 year-to-date spend when the statement closed a day early and I had to wait a whole month for the next statement to get the MQM and SkyMiles bonus.)

Fortunately, Amex puts your statement closing date in several conspicuous spots so you'll always see it as long as you are actually looking for it.  As already stated, Amex will only report the statement balance to the credit bureaus.  I have been getting alerts all day about my accounts posting, so 3 days later seems to be when it gets updated with the bureaus for me.  It is very rare for American Express cards to ever show up on your credit reports prior to the second statement closing.

I thought you were gonna do amex statement math for them.

Bad Kudos (1).png

Message 7 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

They will report the statement balance. They usually wait around a month to report a new account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

They will report the statement balance. They usually wait around a month to report a new account.

My last 2 cards have been a minimum two full statements to report.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can agree this is what the agent mentioned to me. I got my card in Feb, I really hope I get a Big Increase in 2021

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.