cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Reserve Card No Longer Providing Complimentary Lounge Access after May, 1,2014

tag
ayasoysis
Established Member

Delta Reserve Card No Longer Providing Complimentary Lounge Access after May, 1,2014

Ok, I recently obtained this card back in October. The main reason I upgraded from the Platinum Delta is for the free lounge access. I fly Delta every week so this is a great benefit, along with the ability to obtain more elite qualifying miles through my spending on the card. I'm wondering how they are now going to justify the annual fee of $450 on this card without the complimentary lounge access. It is now going to cost $29 to get in with my card. This is nuts! I might as well have kept the Platinum because it was $25 with that card. Now, no matter what card you have, you will pay $29 to get in. Am I the only one a bit livid about these "New Club Membership Options"?.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Delta Reserve Card No Longer Providing Complimentary Lounge Access after May, 1,2014

I guess it depends how much you've checked luggage, upgrades and how many MQMs you've earned with the card. I read another forum a Plat Medallion got only a handful of Economy Comfort upgrades and zero First Class upgrades last year. I don't blame you for being livid. $29 lounge access is nickel and dining (whats supposed to be) a premium card.

Delta continues to slowly hack away the benefits and United follows. It's driving biz travelers away from both carriers; I really hope American doesn't follow but have a gut feeling they will.
Message 2 of 24
Haroon
New Contributor

Re: Delta Reserve Card No Longer Providing Complimentary Lounge Access after May, 1,2014

You still get free acess to the lounge, the change means you can longer bring a guest with you for free.  They now charge 29$ for each person you bring, but you still have free acess.

Message 3 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

@Haroon wrote:

You still get free acess to the lounge, the change means you can longer bring a guest with you for free.  They now charge 29$ for each person you bring, but you still have free acess.

+1.

points guy broke it down pretty well: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/delta-jacks-up-sky-club-membership-fees-slashes-guest-policy/

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 24
ayasoysis
Established Member

Ok, that's a relief!

Message 5 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Amex is in quite a difficult spot these days regarding their cards and lounge access. In addition to the Delta Reserve, the Amex platinum is losing access to AA/US lounges as well. The only reason why there are cards (apart from the Centurion/Palladium) that have high annual fees of ~$400 is due to airport lounge access.

With only 3 major legacy carriers remaining, Delta is all that Amex has left. United has partnered with Chase while AA/US will be with Citibank, both with exclusive arrangements. Alaska doesn't have the coverage required, and other airlines like Southwest don't have lounges at all (nor do they cater to that crowd anyways).

Yes Amex is building centurion lounges, but they simply won't be able to replace the sheer coverage of what they're losing. They could start reimbursing for all PPS visits, but that would be extremely costly. It'll be interesting to see what Amex comes up with, but at the moment their hands are very tied IMO.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

Amex is in quite a difficult spot these days regarding their cards and lounge access. In addition to the Delta Reserve, the Amex platinum is losing access to AA/US lounges as well. The only reason why there are cards (apart from the Centurion/Palladium) that have high annual fees of ~$400 is due to airport lounge access.

With only 3 major legacy carriers remaining, Delta is all that Amex has left. United has partnered with Chase while AA/US will be with Citibank, both with exclusive arrangements. Alaska doesn't have the coverage required, and other airlines like Southwest don't have lounges at all (nor do they cater to that crowd anyways).

Yes Amex is building centurion lounges, but they simply won't be able to replace the sheer coverage of what they're losing. They could start reimbursing for all PPS visits, but that would be extremely costly. It'll be interesting to see what Amex comes up with, but at the moment their hands are very tied IMO.

LMAO!

Message 7 of 24
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Too True. Southwest does offer an exhilarating rat race to tiny seats on full planes. That's the draw.Smiley Wink

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 8 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:

Too True. Southwest does offer an exhilarating rat race to tiny seats on full planes. That's the draw.Smiley Wink

Perhaps others will disagree, but I personally don't see many reasons to fly with Southwest these days other than their 2 free checked bags (which many of us get on other airlines already).

Years ago they often had lower prices due to fuel hedging, which gave them a competitive advantage over others. That coupled with their friends fly free promo and rapid rewards program (8 round trips anywhere = 1 free flight anywhere), they established themselves as a decent low-cost carrier. These days their prices are very similar to the other legacy carriers, plus with others you don't have to fight tons of families with kids for seats on a plane.

Are there any other reasons people choose Southwest?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 24
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@MACFRME wrote:

Perhaps others will disagree, but I personally don't see many reasons to fly with Southwest these days other than their 2 free checked bags (which many of us get on other airlines already).

Years ago they often had lower prices due to fuel hedging, which gave them a competitive advantage over others. That coupled with their friends fly free promo and rapid rewards program (8 round trips anywhere = 1 free flight anywhere), they established themselves as a decent low-cost carrier. These days their prices are very similar to the other legacy carriers, plus with others you don't have to fight tons of families with kids for seats on a plane.

Are there any other reasons people choose Southwest?

I work and relax in Las Vegas and live in San Diego.  They are the only carrier with a direct non stop flight from San Diego to Vegas.  Everyone else I have to go to/change planes in Phoenix or Los Angeles.

I only use them to fly to Vegas.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.