Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta downgrade/upgrade question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta downgrade/upgrade question

I have the Delta Gold card and it is due to renew at the end of the month.  I originally got the card because my Medallion status ended and I wanted to keep the priority boarding and checked baggage benefits.  Shortly after it ended, American Airlines offered me the trial Platinum status.  I was able to meet the challenge and it has been renewed through next January.  

With the trips I have planned for 2019, I'm going to fly American because of the perks (besides delays, tight connections...Smiley LOL ) I'm giving myself about a 50/50 shot that my Platinum status will be renewed again next year.

Delta is the other major player at my local airport, so I don't necessarily want to be shut out should some unforeseeable travel be needed, but I also don't want to pay the annual fee if I may not use it again this year.

Question is: if I downgrade to Blue, will Amex allow me to upgrade back to Gold say next February (for example) and would I need an upgrade offer in the account to do so? At this point, I don't want to get any more inquiries until absolutely necessary (I can spare plenty though), and I don't want to close the Blue and then reapply for a new tradeline with Gold or higher tier.

The alternative is I could just keep the card and try to rack up statement credits on any deals to cover the fee, which I suppose isn't a bad thing either.

Thanks for reading this and for any advice!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta downgrade/upgrade question

I'm not aware of a reason you cant downgrade to the blue then upgrade back to gold after another year. that sounds like a good, workable plan and is the course I'd take if I were you.
Message 2 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

My condolences for switching over to Oneworld.  Smiley Sad

Joking aside, as long as the card is at least a year old (which it is since you're renewing) you can move the card around between any of the four personal Delta cards: Blue, Gold, Platinum, and Reserve.  If you do product change to another card, keep in mind that you will become ineligible for a welcome offer if you were to ever apply for that card again.  Otherwise, there are zero problems with your plan.  You don't need an upgrade offer to move up later and Amex never does an inquiry for product changes (and in almost all cases now, they don't even do so for new card applications for existing cardholders).

If you decide to do this, I would tell them that you're thinking of downgrading your card because it is not currently meeting your needs, and ask if there are any offers available for the card.  They may bribe you to stay put with a statment credit or SkyMiles offer for $x spend on the card in y days.  Worst case, you downgrade to Blue for now and keep the account giving you options later.  And as you stated, Amex Offers can often offset the annual fee on cards.

Enjoy your Platinum status with AA, by the way!

Message 3 of 16
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Joking aside, as long as the card is at least a year old (which it is since you're renewing) you can move the card around between any of the four personal Delta cards: Blue, Gold, Platinum, and Reserve.  If you do product change to another card, keep in mind that you will become ineligible for a welcome offer if you were to ever apply for that card again.  Otherwise, there are zero problems with your plan.  You don't need an upgrade offer to move up later and Amex never does an inquiry for product changes (and in almost all cases now, they don't even do so for new card applications for existing cardholders).

If you decide to do this, I would tell them that you're thinking of downgrading your card because it is not currently meeting your needs, and ask if there are any offers available for the card.  They may bribe you to stay put with a statment credit or SkyMiles offer for $x spend on the card in y days.  Worst case, you downgrade to Blue for now and keep the account giving you options later.  And as you stated, Amex Offers can often offset the annual fee on cards.

+1 

Out of curiosity did you get a targeted promotion for AA platinum or did you do the pay for play challenge ?

I have a lot of flights booked on AA already in Business or Domestic first and haven’t been able to get either offer. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

+1 

Out of curiosity did you get a targeted promotion for AA platinum or did you do the pay for play challenge ?

I have a lot of flights booked on AA already in Business or Domestic first and haven’t been able to get either offer. 

I got a targeted promotion.  It worked really well because of business travel I had in the spring.  My company likes the most um...economical flights (i.e. never heard of a connection they didn't like) ...so I was able to meet the segment and trip requirement very easily.

Message 5 of 16
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

That’s how my company is. They base the rates off American Airlines Main Cabin. I’ve actually been flying to ORD to start my flight as I can fly business for the cost of main cabin if I position to ORD.

My home airport isn’t small but it’s not exactly a focus city for anyone. WN definitely has the biggest presence but I despise WN. I think that’s part of the reason I don’t get any of these targeted promotions.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I spoke with a very helpful representative and explained my situation. He promptly offered to process my downgrade Smiley LOL today.  This is the one card I rarely use, and the only spend was for the SUB.  Oh well, I'd rather put the spend on my Hilton card, which still has the Aspire upgrade offer tantalizing me.  Now I'm trying to discern if I should move the max limit allowed from the Delta card to the Hilton.  I'm eligible for CLI consideration on my account at the end of February.

The Platinum status was very useful flying back stateside from London and for a couple personal trips before the holidays.

Thanks again for everyone's advice! 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you do product change to another card, keep in mind that you will become ineligible for a welcome offer if you were to ever apply for that card again.  Otherwise, there are zero problems with your plan.  

Touching on this for a minute, with the recent popups claiming ineligibility on SUBS for some people. It may not even matter anymore.

Though it may be worth apping for the card first to see if you can get the SUB, and if not just PC it. 

As for One World, it works out better than Delta has for me. 

Message 8 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Welcome Offer eligibility is certainly case-by-case.  In just the past 15 months, I've had:

• Delta Platinum 70k + 10k MQM + $100
  • Delta Reserve 70k + 10k MQM
  • Delta Platinum Business 50k + 10k MQM
  • Delta Platinum 10k retention

In the same time period, DW has had:

• Delta Gold 60k + $50
  • Delta Reserve 70k + 10k MQM
  • Delta Platinum upgrade 15k

All but the first listed card for each of us has been since October.

Message 9 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Delta Blue SUB language has always excluded any cardholders of Delta Gold, Delta Platinum and Delta Reserve. The SUB on Blue is really SAD, not worth the HP. Downgrade makes the most sense, keep the account active.

For Delta Platinum and Delta Reserve, unless you get a really nice upgrade offer, those should be new apps, not upgrades, to get the SUB.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.