Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta downgrade/upgrade question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta downgrade/upgrade question

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Welcome Offer eligibility is certainly case-by-case.  In just the past 15 months, I've had:

• Delta Platinum 70k + 10k MQM + $100
  • Delta Reserve 70k + 10k MQM
  • Delta Platinum Business 50k + 10k MQM
  • Delta Platinum 10k retention

In the same time period, DW has had:

• Delta Gold 60k + $50
  • Delta Reserve 70k + 10k MQM
  • Delta Platinum upgrade 15k

All but the first listed card for each of us has been since October.

When upgrading from the gold to platinum, did you get the companion ticket upon paying the annual fee? To me it seems the best card in the lineup is the platinum. If you are able to use the companion ticket on a flight that is over $195, then the card pays for itself on that benefit alone. 

Message 11 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When upgrading from the gold to platinum, did you get the companion certificate upon paying the annual fee? To me it seems the best card in the lineup is the platinum. If you are able to use the companion certificate on a flight that is over $195, then the card pays for itself on that benefit alone.

Paging @K-in-Boston to be sure but my understanding is that doing an upgrade of a Delta card - Gold -> Platinum in your case - resets the clock on the companion certificate meaning you have to wait til the next AF i.e. one card member year before being awarded the companion certificate. That might get mixed up with regards to prorating your old AF and said card member year but that's how I see it.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

Paging @K-in-Boston to be sure but my understanding is that doing an upgrade of a Delta card - Gold -> Platinum in your case - resets the clock on the companion certificate meaning you have to wait til the next AF i.e. one card member year before being awarded the companion certificate. That might get mixed up with regards to prorating your old AF and said card member year but that's how I see it.

That’s what I am expecting to happen, which is fine. It just seems crazy for me not to upgrade to the platinum to have the companion ticket offset the fee. 

Message 13 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For us, the Reserve (or 2 in our case) pays for itself even more since it’s not just Main Cabin but now that Delta began to allow upgrading with points maybe those will be more useful. You don’t get the companion certificates on an upgrade. As with a new application, they’re awarded upon renewal.

Our original plan was to just upgrade my Platinum and her Gold to Reserve and take whatever the upgrade bonus was. With the record-high 70k and 10k MQMs that changed to new applications. Then the cancellation plans changed with retention and upgrade offers.
Message 14 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
When upgrading from the gold to platinum, did you get the companion certificate upon paying the annual fee? To me it seems the best card in the lineup is the platinum. If you are able to use the companion certificate on a flight that is over $195, then the card pays for itself on that benefit alone.

I would rephrase it, because the card anniversary date stays the same on an AMEX PC, and my experience with AMEX Upgrade offers is that the benefits roll in quickly.

What this means is, if you have a Delta Gold, and the anniversary is coming up in February, if you get a nice upgrade offer and move to Delta Platinum in January, I would expect you get the Companion Pass with that February anniversary. It is even possible that if you've had the Delta Gold past the latest anniversary, and upgrade to Platinum a few months after that anniversary, you may find a companion pass added to your Delta account soon after the upgrade dust settles.

When I upgraded my Hilton Ascend to Aspire, they put the Weekend Night certificate in my Hilton account, even though I have not completed a full year with the Aspire AF.

When I upgraded my SPG to Lux, I did not get the 50,000 point night, but did get the 35,000 point night from the legacy SPG card features change.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 days ago when I chatted up AMEX for retention offers, I was not given any.  This morning I log into my account and I have an upgrade offer to the Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card!  Smiley LOL I'll pass.  Now that all my cards have upgrade offers, I'm not concerned about future product changes.

Also, my online account was updated that afternoon to reflect my downgrade to Blue.  In comparison, I initiated a product change with BOA on 19 December 2018 and that didn't show in my online account until 8 January 2019.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Blue card arrives in the mail before the BOA card does!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.