Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I short myself with AMEX?

tag
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Did I short myself with AMEX?

Please forgive my message board etiquette if I have failed to post/link this properly.  I revived/updated the status of an old thread I started, and last viewed, almost a year ago which is in bold/italicized below.  I received several replies stating that I should have asked for more.  Is it too late to call and ask for more or would it most likely be a hard pull at this point?  I'll update the following regarding my profile:

Credit Score?  Depends on FICO model but all three CB's are nearly identical so depending on FICO scoring model (720 to 795)

Good Income

Only one new inquiry in the last 6 months (mortgage - pre-approved for loan but haven't closed yet - short sale which is taking forever)

All other inquiries are 11 months or older

Great Utilization... less than 3% on $115K credit lines

No late's ever

Only one bad in total credit profile...paid/satisfied judgement over 4 years old and paid off over 2 years ago(medical bills)

Oldest account is over 10 years but AAoA is less than 2 years

Have been with AMEX over 2 years (AMEX PRG)...AMEX BCE is as stated below only 11 months old even though I have been AMEX BCE AU for 15+ months

I'm looking for an educated response.  Someone who is familiar with AMEX and their process.  Have I locked myself in to my new CL(stated below) for the foreseeable future or is there a possibility I can still call and request it be higher?  Hopefully, $15k-$20k without having to go through a hard pull or provide all the tax documents.

Talk about reviving your old thread!  I've been busy, busy, busy with work.  Haven't even logged on to myfico in almost a year but had to share the news.  The AMEX BCE that started at only $2k just 11 months ago has, as of last night, a new CL of $12k.  I received the 3x CLI at 61 days, made good use of the card and after 6 months had it automatically increased(didn't request it - system generated it - no hard pull) to $8.4k.  Well, logged on to pay the bill last night and there was a love button.  Thought, what the heck, it appears to be a soft pull.  I hadn't applied for anything new in 11 months and while having a couple CL's close to $10k I still didn't have a $10k.  I pondered whether to just ask for the $10k or go for something like $15k.  Ultimately, I decided to keep it reasonable and ask for $12k...wham, bam, instant approval.  Just thought I'd share.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Did I short myself with AMEX?

YES you shorted yoruself... the good news is you can go back and request again for what should have been roughly $24k request... go go go.

Amex is ALWAYS sp for cli and the system will counter you if you ask for to much!

Message 2 of 22
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

YES you shorted yoruself... the good news is you can go back and request again for what should have been roughly $24k request... go go go.

Amex is ALWAYS sp for cli and the system will counter you if you ask for to much!

Is this a given?  I figured that if I had just requested a CLI yesterday I would receive a cookie cutter response like "too soon since your last increase" or "not enough experience at your current CL".  Are you pretty sure about this?

Message 3 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Is this a given?  I figured that if I had just requested a CLI yesterday I would receive a cookie cutter response like "too soon since your last increase" or "not enough experience at your current CL".  Are you pretty sure about this?

yes... you are not the first to short themselves much more than amex wanted to give!

Message 4 of 22
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

yes... you are not the first to short themselves much more than amex wanted to give!

Do I have to call in or would it be better to use the automated "Request for Increase" found on-line?  If the on-line option is available is it better to use it?

Message 5 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Do I have to call in or would it be better to use the automated "Request for Increase" found on-line?  If the on-line option is available is it better to use it?

it doesn't matter but I prefer to do online if it is working vs calling where I have to rely on someone else typing the correct information.

I think you can do automated phone also without talking to someone.

Message 6 of 22
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Hurry up already...good luck.

Message 7 of 22
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

it doesn't matter but I prefer to do online if it is working vs calling where I have to rely on someone else typing the correct information.

So...given the substantial(sorry but thought is was necessary to understand my situation) info I provided, what amount should I ask for?

Message 8 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

So...given the substantial(sorry but thought is was necessary to understand my situation) info I provided, what amount should I ask for?

$25k

Message 9 of 22
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

$25k

OK.  I'll let you know shortly how it went.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.