Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Discover CLI

So I have a Discover IT card opened on 09/01/2015 and have used it a tad bit, requested a CLI 3 days ago and I got something along the lines of " you're not currently eligible for a CLI" so it was a denial.. And today I logged on and I got a $250 auto CLI, does this mean I can't ask for another CLI? I just paid off the entire balance right when I had seen the $250 CLI ( I'm hoping by paying the entire $70 balance I'll get a good CLI) 😂 haha so does this disqualify me for asking for another one?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover CLI

It is not just usage or the one account itself that matters for a CLI.  Your entire credit profile and your income will determine what you qualify for.  If Discover auto CLI'ed by $250 then they probably ahve some concerns with your credit profile.  You can certainly request another but I wouldn't expect anything even given the very limited indfo you've provided.

Message 2 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Discover loves heavy usage! The fact that they issued you a credit card in the 1st place, it means your profile is acceptable to them unless your credit took a turn for worse!

I went from $3K to $14,500 in 6 months, putting about $20K usage on it. So use it for everything you can and then PIF. Looking at all the posts in this site, they seem to be very generous with CLI.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
So I have a Discover IT card opened on 09/01/2015 and have used it a tad bit, requested a CLI 3 days ago and I got something along the lines of " you're not currently eligible for a CLI" so it was a denial.. And today I logged on and I got a $250 auto CLI, does this mean I can't ask for another CLI? I just paid off the entire balance right when I had seen the $250 CLI ( I'm hoping by paying the entire $70 balance I'll get a good CLI) 😂 haha so does this disqualify me for asking for another one?

This is exactly how the CLI's started for me. In March of last year I got that message also followed shortly by a $250 increase. Since then I've gotten multiple CLIs and have gone from $3250 to $16250. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

Discover loves heavy usage! The fact that they issued you a credit card in the 1st place, it means your profile is acceptable to them unless your credit took a turn for worse!

I went from $3K to $14,500 in 6 months, putting about $20K usage on it. So use it for everything you can and then PIF. Looking at all the posts in this site, they seem to be very generous with CLI.

Do they? I've averaged $107 a month on mine and my last CLI was $4500.

Message 5 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

Do they? I've averaged $107 a month on mine and my last CLI was $4500.

So yah, as I said they are very generous. 

If it's not moving then putting some usage on it, is a good way to improve your chances for CLI

Message 6 of 9
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I've been thinking it's been 6 months since its been open but it was opened on 9/17/2015 so on 03/17/2016 it will be 6 months... Oops haha, yeah I stopped using it in January because I got a BofA Cash rewards card, but I guess I can rotate cards! I'll max out discover for a few months and PIF then request a CLI
Message 7 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

It's relative to your total CR profiles.  Heavy usage vs non-usage doesn't really make a difference unless it's your only card.  I got mine 7/2015 @ $4400 and it's almost 20K now with putting a couple of small monthly bills on it for ~$35/mo just to keep it consistently active.  I guess for minimal usage 5X the intial CL feels better than spending 20K on it in the same time.  Just keep it active and it will grow as your profile grows.  The FICO they provide is the same snapshot of your profile they use when evaluating your CLI req's as well.  I typically just hit the CLI button every month after the refresh and get the 2 day message which sometimes results in a $4500 CLI and sometimes less or none at all depending on how they're feeling that month.  Sometimes while first feeling them out I would hit the button on intervals like 30/60/90 days or hit it a week earlier than known times when they usually approve the CLI to see if there's a timer of sorts.  One instance of hitting it earlier than normal resulted in no increase and then a few days later hitting it again on the normal time of the month it resulted in the increase as expected.  Can't seem to figure out though if it's the volume of CLI's being asked for overwhelming the system of if you don't wait things out longer than a month triggers them to have sommeone check the box and hit approve after a quick review.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage doesn't do anything with Discover. Used it exclusively for 6 months,$10k, no CLI.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.