cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

@DI wrote:
Using the cashback feature with purchases doesn't earn rewards on the amount of the cash one received.  You only receive rewards from purchases. 

Too bad, although I'm not surprised. If that were true it'd be a pretty dumb move on Discover's part.

Message 11 of 29
DI
Super Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

@DI wrote:
Using the cashback feature with purchases doesn't earn rewards on the amount of the cash one received.  You only receive rewards from purchases. 

Too bad, although I'm not surprised. If that were true it'd be a pretty dumb move on Discover's part.

My point exactly.  That would be like  Discover giving you cash for using its money.

Message 12 of 29
ferrari
Regular Contributor

They did not mention whether the interest starts accruing on the day of withdrawal or just like a regular purchase?

Message 13 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ferrari wrote:

They did not mention whether the interest starts accruing on the day of withdrawal or just like a regular purchase?

regular purchase... When I do it at the grocery, you don't see a charge for the grocery and a charge for your cash, it's one transaction for the total

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

regular purchase... When I do it at the grocery, you don't see a charge for the grocery and a charge for your cash, it's one transaction for the total

Good to know.   And if we carry the balance, we get to charge the interest with purchase APR ... right?

Message 15 of 29
user5387
Valued Contributor

One thing that I've never seen discussed is how "cash over" transactions are handled from a merchant perspective.

For example, suppose that I go to Safeway, make a $5 purchase, and specify $60 cash back.

I know that from a card user  perspective, it's treated as a regular purchase.  However, in such a case, does the merchant fee reflect the full $65?

I assume the answer is "yes", but don't know for sure.

Message 16 of 29
john398
Senior Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

One thing that I've never seen discussed is how "cash over" transactions are handled from a merchant perspective.

For example, suppose that I go to Safeway, make a $5 purchase, and specify $60 cash back.

I know that from a card user  perspective, it's treated as a regular purchase.  However, in such a case, does the merchant fee reflect the full $65?

The merchant has to submit the transaction in a "cash over" field  and from what I can see the limit is $100 and the merchant is not charged a % on that fee

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@john398 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

The merchant has to submit the transaction in a "cash over" field  and from what I can see the limit is $100 and the merchant is not charged a % on that fee

It works 100% like this. And you dont earn reward points on cash-overs because merchant fee dont get charged on them Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this apply to all Discover cards or just teh Walmart/Sams Discover cards? And where can this be done? I saw in the thread that someoen mentioned Walmart, but is this an option at all places that accept Discover??

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

It applies to all Discover cards (not sure about the co-branded ones except for Walmart discover). And yes, you can get cash-overs at any place that does cash-back on debit cards (and accepts Discover ofcourse)..

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.