Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Direct Rewards / HSBC

tag
johnsj21
Regular Contributor

Discover Direct Rewards / HSBC

So I just app'd for Discover and was declined Smiley Sad  However I was approved for the Direct Rewards Discover card through HSBC.  I did a search on this card on the boards, but there hasn't been any discussions on this card lately.  I don't even know my CL on this card yet so I am curious.  There is a $39 annual fee and 0% interest for the first 6 months, but I have no idea on starting CL's. 

I checked out Whogavemecredit.com and that wasn't too much help either.

9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Direct Rewards / HSBC

HSBC backs many subprime or less than prime cards, such as Orchard and the HSBC Discover.

Initial CL's tend to be low ($500) and tend not to grow much over time.  They usually have AF and rarely, if ever, graduate to anything more than they started. 

Your CR will not have any evidence that you have a Discover card, since the TL will be HSBC.  The only thing it has in relationship to Discover is that it uses the Discover Financial Network, has the Discover icon on it and will have an account number which begins with the number 6, like all Discover cards.

Other than that, this isn't really any different than an Orchard Visa.  It's a builder card that will help you get better prime TL's down the road once you show your responsible use and payment of this and other current accounts over time.

Message 2 of 12
jackg
Established Contributor

Also, because it is a Discover network card it cannot be used at a retailer that does not accept Discover & there are quite a few because of the high % use fee charged to the retailer.
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 3 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I got this card under the same circumstances, and I guess I would say it was mediocre at best. AF, high interest rate (not that it mattered with PIF), $300 CL, and no CLI ever.

If you want to have a Discover card in your wallet, I recommend the Sams Club/Wal Mart Discover by GEMB over this one any day of the week. 

Here we go again...
Message 4 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

DW and I both app'd for a Discover back in December. We each were countered-offered this CC and regretfully we accepted. We had read others' posts that the starting limits were $1000-$3000+. Ours started each with $300. Woohoo! The APR was set each at 21.99%. I think I used mine twice. DW uses for fluff, but both are PIF. I regret it, but can't change the past.

7 months later, had I patiently waited, I was approved for a Discover More. Oh well. Hindsight.

Message 5 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

HSBC seems to have become very stingy with the limits on this card. They also do seem to be using this co-branding program as a way to funnel the unsuspecting applicant into an Orchard/Household type product. I have no idea why DFS is allowing the brand "Discover" to be cheapened like this. The products do not compare at all. The Discover cards issued by DFS are prime to prime plus cards, offer nice growth potential and a decent, but not great, rewards program. HSBC Discover offers none of that.

If you get a co-branded AMEX at least you get some AMEX benefits along with it.

Message 6 of 12
johnsj21
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies!  I guess I'll wait until the card comes in the mail to see the CL.  If it's under $750 I'll be closing this faster that you can say "HSBC Sucks!"
9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Message 7 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@johnsj21 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!  I guess I'll wait until the card comes in the mail to see the CL.  If it's under $750 I'll be closing this faster that you can say "HSBC Sucks!"

I wouldn't even think about closing it unless you can get them to remove that AF from your account. If they won't do that use it for a year and then cancel it. You have to use it once a quarter, too. HSBC had been known close accounts w/o notice when disused for three months.
Message 8 of 12
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I know this is an old thread but now this card has become Capital One. What will happen to this card? Convert to regular Capital One card or close accounts or what?

Thanks!

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 9 of 12
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Have you try calling the number in the back of you card and ask?

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.