Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Double Dipping

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Double Dipping

Good Morning Everyone,

I have read alot about the ability to double dip once Discover gives an auto CLI.  Some say to hit the luv button and some say to call in and ask for a CLI.  For those of you that have called in and have been sucessful on getting the double dip CLI from a CS Rep, what did you actually say to them? 

I mean...hey.thanks for the auto CLI...can I have more?  or is there a standard line that seems to work when you call them?

I'm hoping im on the 63 day side and if so I should get my first auto CLI son, if not then next month and would like to be prepared to get as much as I can lol.

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Double Dipping

Auto luv is NOT guaranteed. DD is also very rare. Id imagine people just ask for more as they were disappointed in what was given. I have zero clue as how this is given as I've never been able to achieve it and i only get $500 so one would think im prime candidate for a DDSmiley Wink. Just dont count on getting auto luv, Discover will just throw darts at random to see who is in their good graces for the daySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Joe!

For sure nothing is guaranteed!  LOL but I am hoping they like me.  When my secured card was unsecured it did so in 7 months which was sooner tnan most i saw on here and they gave me quite a bit more than most i've read on here as well.  Coulbe mean nothing but with the higher SL and eartly unsecure maybe they like my profile?  Guess we will find out.  I imagine it wont be as much as someone who was not secured in the first place but 1k- 1.5 k would be nice.  I just got the pre-qual mailer from BBVA and was approved for 10K SL so dont need it to bad anymore but I really like Discover so hoping for a good relationship with them!   Thanks for the info and best to you as well!

Message 3 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome OP

Me: “I just received an auto CLI, and I was wondering if I could get a higher limit?”

CSR: Congratulations Ms X on your CLI. Let me check. “Yes, I can offer another $X” or “I would need to do a HP to answer.”

On the one occasion I was prompted about a HP, I declined.

FYI. The DD should be requested right after the auto CLI.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Ahhhh @ajc, why are those Disco Gawds so mean to you? Do you want me to take them out back?

I’m sending some good vibes your way 🍀🍀 because I guess I’ve just been lucky. I’ve gotten 2 SP DDs.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Credit, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I so appreciate everyone’s responses!! I love this forum!
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly Disco is a strange beast. 

They approved me in March for $7500 SL (which was crazy since I only had three cards, highest line was $6250 the other two were $2000 and $1000) and I never received any auto increase but last month I had the itch to app and decided to try to get past it with a CLI request and to my shock they gave me $3000 for a $10500 total line which again makes them my highest (by $2250!) and I don’t even give them enough spend to justify these limits, having never had my balance hit $1K. 

Then there are people with better scores, who use their cards massively, who can’t get even $500 out of them and have lower limits as well. 

Message 7 of 17
DEcreditguy
New Contributor

Discover is just weird. I started with a secured card. It was eventually unsecured and I got a small CLI at that time, if I remember correctly. But it has taken me years just to get my CL up to 3,200. And I do use the card quite a bit. During some 5% back quarters I'll ring up quite a bit on there and pay it off in full. But I haven't received a CLI bigger than 300 bucks in probably over a year and a half. And if you look at my signature, you will see, just about every other card I have has a significantly bigger limit. I just don't know what I have to do with them. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DEcreditguy wrote:

Discover is just weird. I started with a secured card. It was eventually unsecured and I got a small CLI at that time, if I remember correctly. But it has taken me years just to get my CL up to 3,200. And I do use the card quite a bit. During some 5% back quarters I'll ring up quite a bit on there and pay it off in full. But I haven't received a CLI bigger than 300 bucks in probably over a year and a half. And if you look at my signature, you will see, just about every other card I have has a significantly bigger limit. I just don't know what I have to do with them. 

Disco seems to bucket their secured cards like Cap does for their secured and credit steps cards. Check prequal for a second card and see if you have a solid APR. If you do, you will likely end up with a large SL. Plus you’ll get another year of cash back match!

Message 9 of 17
DEcreditguy
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DEcreditguy wrote:

Disco seems to bucket their secured cards like Cap does for their secured and credit steps cards. Check prequal for a second card and see if you have a solid APR. If you do, you will likely end up with a large SL. Plus you’ll get another year of cash back match!

Thanks for the tip. Might have to try this down the road. For now, my main goal is getting off the AMEX blacklist after running into some problems with them over a decade ago. They finally offered me an Oasis card this month but I'm now thinking I'm going to reject the Oasis offer, pay the old collection in full, wait a month and just got for a Gold or Platinum card and a Blue Cash Preferred. The thing that is weird about AMEX, too, is that for years, I wouldn't even have any prequal offers show, now all of a sudden I get a bunch of prequal offers. So a a couple of weeks ago I tried applying for one of then and was denied, basically saying I'm still blackballed. No credit pull. So why am I being prequalified? Oh well, I'm fairly confident that if I just pay the old amount in full, I'll be approved for whatever I want from AMEX. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.