Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover iT recon, found it a bit funny

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Discover iT recon, found it a bit funny

So I called Discover again, for like the 5th time.  Someone who sounded in a great mood answered the phone, I asked him if I could get my application manually reviewed and he said to give him a few minutes.  I let him know that the phone I was on was going to die and for him to call the number I listed on my application.  While I'm waiting, the phone did die, he called my cell phone, and I lost service while talking to him.. -_-

So I called again and spoke to a lady who sounded nothing like the guy I just spoke to, and I asked for my application to be manually reviewed, and it took her a while to understand what I was saying.  Then she goes on and says, "I'm sorry, but once you receive a decision there's no way for us to overturn the computer's decision.".. 

Tried rushing her off the phone cause I couldn't believe she said that, but she continued on talking and whatnot.

My question is, if she works in the RECON department, how can she say there's no way for her to overturn the computer's decision?  I'm honestly not even mad, but rather questionable about her, in general, which made me grin a bit while talking to her LOL.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Discover iT recon, found it a bit funny

Because shes lazy and doesnt want to do it.
Message 2 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Id be calling back, dont give up!!! Good luck!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

So I called Discover again, for like the 5th time.  Someone who sounded in a great mood answered the phone, I asked him if I could get my application manually reviewed and he said to give him a few minutes.  I let him know that the phone I was on was going to die and for him to call the number I listed on my application.  While I'm waiting, the phone did die, he called my cell phone, and I lost service while talking to him.. -_-

So I called again and spoke to a lady who sounded nothing like the guy I just spoke to, and I asked for my application to be manually reviewed, and it took her a while to understand what I was saying.  Then she goes on and says, "I'm sorry, but once you receive a decision there's no way for us to overturn the computer's decision.".. 

Tried rushing her off the phone cause I couldn't believe she said that, but she continued on talking and whatnot.

My question is, if she works in the RECON department, how can she say there's no way for her to overturn the computer's decision?  I'm honestly not even mad, but rather questionable about her, in general, which made me grin a bit while talking to her LOL.

My experience was that Discover DOES NOT RECON... but we all know from here they DO!

Even the one rep that my roommate got that said THEY COULD RECON then didn't really seem to actually have any power to change anything they simply just responded a bit better to questions about why denied so it "seemed" they were reconing.

To me, it's been the one side of Discover that I have seen that is VERY CITI accept the reps are in USA.

I have recon with my app, listened on speaker with my roommates app, and with another friend and got NO WHERE.... I called at least 2 on my app, had my roommate call 2.  Then on the apps that were approved, my partner called 2 about recon on CL and that was almost as bad as denial... and my other friend didn't get anything either other than what seemed to come from computer after verification.

I don't really understand it, they seem to have such hands on service and then when it comes to this, they seem to all pretty much be on some kind of SHORT somewhat scripted gray area of give as little as possible and we don't really pull up credit and recon, but again we have had tons of posts that people got denied and then couple days later got called about counter offers with shorter 0% and what not for approval, and we know HP CLI... do we just not realize how much of this stuff is still going through a computer system and VERY LITTLE gets done by the "credit" or "recon" department that we have access too? (Like GE use to be... you practically had to die to get to a rep unless it was CareCredit or Lowes it seemed, and then all of a sudden they opened up the gates to the gods and we can talk to those "people" in front of a computer that can see an actual credit report! We were told for what I feel like is years that they don't have that department and they don't manually review or recon... CLEARLY a bank can't completely be run by computer decision as close as we are to that sometimes!!

WHAT GIVES!

Which really goes back to my point of some of the things Citi told me during recon for my partners Citi Business Card and the Rep... Why we have such utter confusion about HOW credit works, how it's reported, what is law vs. banks blamming, etc. etc.  I find it hard sometimes to know if a rep just doesn't get questioned or confronted about utter false info sometimes or if they ACUTALLY full heartedly believe it to be true (which would be the scary part) and some of the posts here with questions reflect that same believe or at least question of it being true.... Without being able to come to the board and ask and get the correct answer, that is someone that might go out doing that wrong thing and telling others... we have such confusion of credit and score and building, etc. already and then we get fed completely false information... it's no wonder we don't have more issues! and the gray line of "Checking your credit yourself to make sure everything is accurate" and "We have no control over what is in your credit file and we can't change the reporting of the account, we can't remove the inq, we can't do sp, we can't we can't we can't we can't.... it's not true, it's not true, it's not true! Banks should not be able to confuse someone with the fact that a credit reporting agency is simply that "reporting what is sent" Banks push off credit reports as something that Experian creates or something and that they don't do anything except pull from them.

Message 4 of 14
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Id be calling back, dont give up!!! Good luck!!

Maybe 6th time's the charm Smiley Wink

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

Message 5 of 14
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover iT recon, update: denial reasons

Just got my AMEX and Discover denial letters in the mail..

Discover's reasons were the same as they were when I applied a few months ago..

Number of inquiries in the last 24 months

Number of inquiries in the last 6 months

Insufficient history for bank revolving trades

Even after half of my TU INQS fall off (over the course of the summer), the unhelpful rep said she would just wait until next year to apply again.

BUT, I wonder if I wait until October to apply again,  I'll have 4 inquiries within the past 6 months, but then I'd also have at least one tradeline reporting for 10 months, and the others reporting for 6 months, I wonder if they'd still consider that insufficient history?  Regardless, I won't app for them until the end of the year.

AMEX's reasons...

1.) Our evaluation of the inquiries on your credit report based on the number, type, and recency (TU)

2.) Number of trades (TU)

3.)Too few credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have paid a majority of the balance in recent months (EX)

4.) High utilization of credit lines or insufficient utilization information (TU)

Can someone tell me what's wrong with number 3?

Message 6 of 14
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

Just got my AMEX and Discover denial letters in the mail..

Discover's reasons were the same as they were when I applied a few months ago..

Number of inquiries in the last 24 months

Number of inquiries in the last 6 months

Insufficient history for bank revolving trades

Even after half of my TU INQS fall off (over the course of the summer), the unhelpful rep said she would just wait until next year to apply again.

BUT, I wonder if I wait until October to apply again,  I'll have 4 inquiries within the past 6 months, but then I'd also have at least one tradeline reporting for 10 months, and the others reporting for 6 months, I wonder if they'd still consider that insufficient history?  Regardless, I won't app for them until the end of the year.

AMEX's reasons...

1.) Our evaluation of the inquiries on your credit report based on the number, type, and recency (TU)

2.) Number of trades (TU)

3.)Too few credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have paid a majority of the balance in recent months (EX)

4.) High utilization of credit lines or insufficient utilization information (TU)

Can someone tell me what's wrong with number 3?

It's all garbage to me..

I got approved for BCE with 15 INQs on EX, yes 15. I have Amex Green for 5 months.

and

Behold, I also got approved for IT with 14 INQs on TU. I have no history with Discover.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 7 of 14
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

I would just like to add something to this thread.

When I apped for Discover about a year ago, I was denied, so I started the recons. Finally after the 3rd attempt the woman on the phone explained to me that each time I had called to reconsider my application it was documented in the computer that I had called and why I was calling.

The reason I'm saying this, is not to pull anyone down, but from a logical standpoint, it would seem that the more times you call for recon, it may be making the situation worse in some cases. Of course there are such things as getting the "magical" rep on the other end of the phone that's having a great day and it may be possible to overturn a decision. But my experience did not go that way.

Of course I'm not saying it's this way with every lender and I believe whole heartedly that you should recon until the end of time as there's always a chance. Smiley Happy

Finally I was instantly approved about a year later, so I didn't have to worry about a recon. But they do document each time you call in, just thought it may be relevant.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 8 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@BrokaToe wrote:

When I apped for Discover about a year ago, I was denied, so I started the recons. Finally after the 3rd attempt the woman on the phone explained to me that each time I had called to reconsider my application it was documented in the computer that I had called and why I was calling.

The reason I'm saying this, is not to pull anyone down, but from a logical standpoint, it would seem that the more times you call for recon, it may be making the situation worse in some cases. Of course there are such things as getting the "magical" rep on the other end of the phone that's having a great day and it may be possible to overturn a decision. But my experience did not go that way.

Of course I'm not saying it's this way with every lender and I believe whole heartedly that you should recon until the end of time as there's always a chance. Smiley Happy

Finally I was instantly approved about a year later, so I didn't have to worry about a recon. But they do document each time you call in, just thought it may be relevant.

This is true, you have to be ready to get your card pulled on it for sure Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 14
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@BrokaToe wrote:

This is true, you have to be ready to get your card pulled on it for sure Smiley Very Happy

lol, yah I guess the reason I said all that was to suggest only to keep in mind they know you keep calling, so maybe a story of getting disconnected or getting a sour rep or something so it doesn't look like you're desperate. I don't know... *shrug*

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.