Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is pretty stingy...

tag
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover is pretty stingy...

I got an email yesterday too, they upped mine from $10,500 to $11,500. Compared to the limits on my other cards, that's huge. I use my Discover card pretty heavily though.

Sorry they're being like that for you Smiley Sad I don't even care about the limit, I just want a lower interest rate. I haven't asked yet but I hope one day I can lower it. It's over 20% I think (Discover IT).

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 11 of 37
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

something is better than nothing.  Your Apple purchase should boost your chances of a larger CLI.

Message 12 of 37
android01
Valued Contributor

Sounds to me like you're all doing pretty good.  I've had a Discover card since 1986.  Original CL was 15K.  Got a CLI to 24K in 2012 with a hard pull.  There were no auto CLI's ever -  in 25 years.   

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 13 of 37
cclee
Regular Contributor

I've had 2 auto CLI in the last 3 mo's, it is my go to card though, use it for everything, just got an offer of 3% cash back on all purchase thru Dec 31st plus the 5% quartly promo's.

In The Garden Until 11/01/15 - Last App 11/03/13
Message 14 of 37
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@cclee wrote:

I've had 2 auto CLI in the last 3 mo's, it is my go to card though, use it for everything, just got an offer of 3% cash back on all purchase thru Dec 31st plus the 5% quartly promo's.

cclee, do you do multiple payments? PIF? report any balance?

thanks

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 15 of 37
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

They were pretty stingy with me too! Smiley Frustrated

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 16 of 37
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

My Fiance just called them yesterday because she got frustrated that her $1700 limit has been like that for almost 9 months and they denied her via soft pull. Called backdoor, spoke to analyst after getting her denial letter and explained to him that the reasons do not match her profile. He went on about how she got to contact the credit reporting agencies and she said she did and they told her to contact them. Anyway he said he would be able to manually review credit but that would be a hard pull. Seeing as she has no inq, she agreed and then he came back and told her he would match her other card at $3500...so almost a double increase + $100 bucks....she took it..it was worth the hard pull and at this time she is happy..never spent more than $1500 on it in a month and alwasy PIF

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 17 of 37
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

You have to use the card for them to increase the limit. They started me at $3000 and have grown to $6600 in less than two years. I have use the card quite a bit though.

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 18 of 37
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Really guys? That's supposed to blow air up my skirt? I just spent that much on dinner with my wife a few days ago at the Palm. Did you not read in my account profile that my household income is closer to $200K, not $20K?

Not sure if your income factored into the decision. As one of those 20K people i've gotten quite a few increases and they have all been over $500 each time..once was $200 from Citi.

Message 19 of 37
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Now in Discover's (weak) defense, I've not been using this card much...no more than $150 ever charged on it in a month and always PIF.

Not weak but a very compelling justification for lack of a higher line. Discover is more conservative and they like to see utilization, especially in the $20k+ lines. I requested an increase to $40,000 and got it. So they do give high lines when your credit, income AND spending demands it Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.