Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is sending new card to me due to data breach

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is sending new card to me due to data breach

Login to my Dashboard today and see the notice:
“Important Card Security Message: To help keep your account safe, we're sending you a new card after learning your card information might have been part of a data breach that did not involve Discover card systems. As always, you're never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card, and you can keep using your current card until your new one arrives.”
Is it about this data breach: http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/technology/best-buy-hack-data-breach/index.html
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover is sending new card to me due to data breach

It's possible that it could have been that breach. There was also a recent breach that hit customers that shopped at either Saks or Lord & Taylor.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will it affect my credit score?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always thought that part was funny, that you can continue using your current card even though it may have been part of the breech.

I get that it's inconvientent if you had to stop using it, so it's nice they let you until the new card arrives. But it's just odd. I guess it's the honor system on what charges are yours, if something nefarious really does happen. lol

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was happening a few months back.  Users logging in and finding out that a new card was being sent out.

Message 5 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover has some differerent/additional security mechnisms than the other major cards.. Case in point, they can shut off a card with the same main number but different CVV/issue code on the card itself... Keyword is may, and they are erring on the side of caution, but you can bet if your current card starts having funky purchasing habits or spend deviating from your norm.. it will be shutdown... Their fraud protection is one of the more streamlined ones of the cards I have.... Gotten a phone call more than once but it basically are pretty quick about approving the transaction or unlocking it... So why inconvienence folks who are using their card and just be proactive about it?

Still remember an interesting fraud experience though... Where Macy's mail order internal security caught someone buying 3 flatscreen TV sets out of state using his discover card number... Know what flagged them.. He had a higher tier macys card at the time and they thought the purchase was fishy since he has a macy's card (So why didnt he use it.. we know otherwise on stuff like that but).. He called discover and Discover was actually kinda embarassed they didnt catch it..  (Kinda got the vibe from their security team that when they looked at the transaction it looked suspect on their end too) They were also surprised that Macys actually caught the fraud before they did... Was some time ago though... 

-J

Message 6 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I always thought that part was funny, that you can continue using your current card even though it may have been part of the breech.

This kind of issue isn't at the same level as it would be if there were actual fraud on the card itself. In the case of fraudulent charges, the card would be shut down immediately. In this case, there's no pressing need to go that far. The new card will arrive, and there'll probably be a deadline date to activate it.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This kind of issue isn't at the same level as it would be if there were actual fraud on the card itself. In the case of fraudulent charges, the card would be shut down immediately. In this case, there's no pressing need to go that far. The new card will arrive, and there'll probably be a deadline date to activate it.

Agree

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.