Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover rewards question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover rewards question

Is there anyway i can see my earned rewards history? Ex- purchase $100, earned $5, etc... How do we know they are giving us the correct cashback? I often use it for the rotating 5% and for shopdiscover, but because it takes so long to post (each statement, many weeks later), i feel like i dont know for sure that im getting it all (probably paranoid lol).

And sometimes the merchant category code is wrong. Example: i spend alot at starbucks, and it qualified for the restaurant 5% cb. Most of my starbucks transactions say "fast food" or "food/restaurant", however there are some that dont say anything there.

I guess i could always go back a couple statements and do the math, but thats way too tedious, esp because capital one makes it so easy to see rewards.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover rewards question

I wish...  Only option I'm aware of is going back to prior statements and doing the math and/or tracking it yourself.

Message 2 of 25
keithbward
Frequent Contributor

Yea, I tend to just track it myself and match it up on statements. Give them two statements before I call in. I also usually get emails for my ShopDiscover or DiscoverDeals purchases or whatever they're calling it now, but sometimes I don't get the emails, so I keep a closer eye on that since it's usually a 10% or 15% bonus through the portal and I'm making larger purchases.

Starting Scores - EX 547 || EQ 541 || TU 538 - 01/21/2014
Current Scores - EX 691 || EQ 628??? || TU 695 - 08/04/2015
Goal Scores - 720 across the board
Current Utilization - 12% and going down
Message 3 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Only way is to go back through the statement and calculate it, which is super tedious and annoying. I wouldn't bother with that, unless of course you notice some large obvious discrepancy.

Message 4 of 25
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

I generally trust them to get the 1%/5% correct, but shopdiscover/discover deals is super unreliable. I make a note of every purchase I make through it and, if I dont get an email confirming I got the bonus, I email them on Day 45 requesting the missing cashback (you have to wait 45 days in case it shows up). It hasn't failed yet, but yes, I wish it was more reliable and I especially wish they had a cashback tracker like Barclays and Capital One.

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 5 of 25
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Also for the current promo, sometimes under the transaction it'll say, "You're earning 5% cashback, etc. etc."

But yes, they definitely need to make the cashback earning more transparent. now that it's double the value!

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the most detail I'm able to get. Click Statements, then View Details.discoverspend.JPG

Message 7 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

its always an good idea to check when you go thru discover deals , i had to call them about when i went thru best buy and got my note 4 they didn' give me the 5% bonus shopping at  best buy. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I track my cashback from Discover because it's been wrong on two different occasions. And they realized their mistake and gave the correct cashback. It may be tedious every penny counts.
Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I track my cashback from Discover because it's been wrong on two different occasions. And they realized their mistake and gave the correct cashback. It may be tedious every penny counts.

Yes, seems many issuers have problems sometimes, Amex didn't give correct rewards on some grocery stores last year, and my guess is many people didn't notice (and Amex chose not to be proactive!)

On the double cash (Discover Miles and those enrolled for IT), be interesting to see how accurate that is, especially for existing card holders where the 12 months started at various times.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.