cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need to have account with Amazon to get Amazon credit cards with Chase/Amex?

tag
Janneman
Established Contributor

Do we need to have account with Amazon to get Amazon credit cards with Chase/Amex?

I have Amazon credit cards from both- Chase and Amex for the last 90 days or so. I did prequalify first on my amazon account to check if I was qualified for those cards or not. But I am wondering if one does need to have an Amazon account in order to apply for these credit cards from any lender....

I remember when I got my Amex Amazon credit card, I did have trial Prime membership on my Amazon account for 30 days, but after trial I canceled Prime as I didnt need it as I don't shop much in there all the time. As a result, Amex sent me another credit card, and canceled the one that gave me before because I was no longer eligible for 5% Cashback anymore since I was no long Amazon Prime member...and issued me another credit card for 3% cash back...then after 2-3 weeks I signed up a week free trial with Amazon Prime...and then Amex automatically sent out another credit card for me...So, whenever I change my Prime membership with Amazon, Amex automatically sends out credit card to me accordingly. Account number remains the same (I think) but expiration date and CVV do get changed. This makes me wonder if we do need to have an Amazon account in order to obtain and even to keep these credit cards...What if I would delete my Amazon account but wouldn't wish to get my amazon credit cards to be canceled which are issued by Amex and Chase?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Do we need to have account with Amazon to get Amazon credit cards with Chase/Amex?

You do not need an Amazon Prime Membership to get either card.  The benefits would be lost on your in relation to the Amazon deals but at the end of the day, they are credit cards that work everywhere Visa and AMEX are accepted

Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Do we need to have account with Amazon to get Amazon credit cards with Chase/Amex?

@cashorcharge wrote:

You do not need an Amazon Prime Membership to get either card.  The benefits would be lost on your in relation to the Amazon deals but at the end of the day, they are credit cards that work everywhere Visa and AMEX are accepted

I think OP is talking about having ANY Amazon account.   For at least Chase, you need to apply through an Amazon account, but I don't know what would happen if you then deleted it.   My guess is nothing, but my guess isn't binding on the issuers!

Message 3 of 8
FICO-Quest
Valued Member

@Janneman wrote:

I have Amazon credit cards from both- Chase and Amex for the last 90 days or so. I did prequalify first on my amazon account to check if I was qualified for those cards or not. But I am wondering if one does need to have an Amazon account in order to apply for these credit cards from any lender....

I remember when I got my Amex Amazon credit card, I did have trial Prime membership on my Amazon account for 30 days, but after trial I canceled Prime as I didnt need it as I don't shop much in there all the time. As a result, Amex sent me another credit card, and canceled the one that gave me before because I was no longer eligible for 5% Cashback anymore since I was no long Amazon Prime member...and issued me another credit card for 3% cash back...then after 2-3 weeks I signed up a week free trial with Amazon Prime...and then Amex automatically sent out another credit card for me...So, whenever I change my Prime membership with Amazon, Amex automatically sends out credit card to me accordingly. Account number remains the same (I think) but expiration date and CVV do get changed. This makes me wonder if we do need to have an Amazon account in order to obtain and even to keep these credit cards...What if I would delete my Amazon account but wouldn't wish to get my amazon credit cards to be canceled which are issued by Amex and Chase?

Thanks

No, you don't need a Prime account to apply for, or keep a Chase Amazon credit card.  The card and application link is even listed on the Chase credit card portal so that one can apply separate from Amazon.  The T's & C's of the card state that if Prime membership is cancelled after obtaining the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards card the account automatically reverts to the Chase Amazon Rewards card (no "Prime" anymore) and the 5% rewards at Amazon and Whole Foods drops to 3%.  The 2% and 1% rewards at other types of merchants remains the same, still no annual fee.  The next time the physical card is replaced for any reason one receives the regular Amazon Rewards card - the blue one instead of the original grey/silver metal card.

Marcus/GM Rewards 02/24 - $6k
Citi CC 10/23 - $8.4k
USB Altitude Reserve 5/23 - $23.5k
CSP 05/23 - $17.3K
BMO Cash Back World MC 12/22 - $3K
Amazon Prime VS 07/22 - $18k
Amex Plat 3/22 - NPSL/$20k POT
Amex Delta Plat 7/21 - $25k
NFCU More Rewards Amex 5/21 - $30k
USB Alt Connect 4/21 - $10k (Opened as a Platinum Secured)
NFCU Flagship 1/21 - $32k (Opened as an nRewards secured)

Janneman
Established Contributor

@FICO-Quest wrote:

@Janneman wrote:

Thanks

No, you don't need a Prime account to apply for, or keep a Chase Amazon credit card.  The card and application link is even listed on the Chase credit card portal so that one can apply separate from Amazon.  The T's & C's of the card state that if Prime membership is cancelled after obtaining the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards card the account automatically reverts to the Chase Amazon Rewards card (no "Prime" anymore) and the 5% rewards at Amazon and Whole Foods drops to 3%.  The 2% and 1% rewards at other types of merchants remains the same, still no annual fee.  The next time the physical card is replaced for any reason one receives the regular Amazon Rewards card - the blue one instead of the original grey/silver metal card.

Thank you, but I guess you did not understand my question well enough...My question was not about Prime membership with Amazon, rather it was about Amazon account in itself. Do we need to have an Amazon account in order to apply for Chase or Amex Amazon credit card? What if I choose to delete my Amazon account with Amazon site, but do not want my Chase or Amex amazon credit card to be canceled?

Message 5 of 8
FICO-Quest
Valued Member

The card and rewards program exists on the Chase side of the business.  You need the Amazon account to apply and receive the SUB.  One can entirely remove the Chase Amazon card as a form of payment from the Amazon account from what I can see with mine.  The card can exist independently after the application and the rewards points can be used for cash-back/statement-credit, gift cards, and travel through the Chase portal if desired. 

Thank you, but I guess you did not understand my question well enough...My question was not about Prime membership with Amazon, rather it was about Amazon account in itself. Do we need to have an Amazon account in order to apply for Chase or Amex Amazon credit card? What if I choose to delete my Amazon account with Amazon site, but do not want my Chase or Amex amazon credit card to be canceled?

Marcus/GM Rewards 02/24 - $6k
Citi CC 10/23 - $8.4k
USB Altitude Reserve 5/23 - $23.5k
CSP 05/23 - $17.3K
BMO Cash Back World MC 12/22 - $3K
Amazon Prime VS 07/22 - $18k
Amex Plat 3/22 - NPSL/$20k POT
Amex Delta Plat 7/21 - $25k
NFCU More Rewards Amex 5/21 - $30k
USB Alt Connect 4/21 - $10k (Opened as a Platinum Secured)
NFCU Flagship 1/21 - $32k (Opened as an nRewards secured)

Janneman
Established Contributor

@FICO-Quest wrote:

The card and rewards program exists on the Chase side of the business.  You need the Amazon account to apply and receive the SUB.  One can entirely remove the Chase Amazon card as a form of payment from the Amazon account from what I can see with mine.  The card can exist independently after the application and the rewards points can be used for cash-back/statement-credit, gift cards, and travel through the Chase portal if desired. 

Thank you so much...

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Looking a little more:

Once you’ve confirmed and selected your card account, your card account will then earn 5% Back on Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases until that Amazon.com account with eligible Prime membership:

(i) no longer has an eligible Prime membership;
(ii) no longer has your card account loaded in that Amazon.com account;
(iii) is closed;
(iv) is used to select a different card account to earn 5% Back at Amazon.com; or
(v) is used to apply for another Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card account that is approved and loaded in that Amazon.com account (that new card account will earn 5% Back at Amazon.com).

Whether a purchase earns 3% Back or 5% Back is determined at the time your eligible Amazon.com or Whole Foods Market purchase is made.

So it looks like Amazon status is only checked when making an Amazon/WF purchase, so if you avoided those, having no account wouldn't matter (post app).  But from (iii) I think it should be OK anyway, using it at WholeFoods would earn 3% rather than saying "Wait, no amazon account, close the card!"   But still a guess.

If it's important, I would just keep the amazon account as there is no charge without prime.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.