cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does joint account count towards the 5/24 rule?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does joint account count towards the 5/24 rule?

My mother applied for the CareCredit earlier this year and put me as a joint member just, so I can build my credit.

Does it still applies to the 5/24 rule even if I don't even use/pay the card at all? I'm looking to apply for the CSP later on in the year(if CareCredit doesn't count), but stuck above 5/24.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does joint account count towards the 5/24 rule?

If by joint account you mean an authorized user then yes it counts towards 5/24 whether you use the card or not

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir Oh, on the credit reports, it shows as Joint Account Holder instead of Authorized User, so I'm guessing the two terms are different from each other. 

Thanks for the information. Sadly, I got to wait for the CSP next year or get lucky with a PreApproval. 

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir Oh, on the credit reports, it shows as Joint Account Holder instead of Authorized User, so I'm guessing the two terms are different from each other. 

Thanks for the information. Sadly, I got to wait for the CSP next year or get lucky with a PreApproval. 

As a joint owner you are responsible for the charges along with your mother. As an AU you are not responsible for repayment of the card. Chase does take both into consideration for 5/24

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.