cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does using AMEX for seats nullify benefits from the card used to purchase flights?

tag
LovinChicago
Established Member

Does using AMEX for seats nullify benefits from the card used to purchase flights?

I got the JetBlue Plus airline card for its elevated points on JetBlue purchases and the free checked bag. It also has benefits like enhanced trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance and travel accident/baggage delay. I also have the Hilton AMEX Aspire that comes with an airline incidental credit that I'd like to assign to JetBlue.

If I purchase a flight with the JetBlue Plus card, then come back and purchase seats with the AMEX to trigger the airline incidental credit does that negate the aforementioned airline card benefits? Refering to the insurance, the guide to benefits indicates that we are insured "provided the entire cost of the passenger fare(s), less redeemable certificates, vouchers or coupons, has been charged to your MasterCard Card account." Another place in the guide to benefits indicates that this "travel insurance plan is provided to MasterCard cardholders automatically when the entire cost of the passenger fare(s) are charged to a MasterCard account while the insurance is effective." (The term "fare" is not separately defined in the guide to benefits.)

Do you know if seat assignments or seat upgrades are considered part of the "passenger fare" under this definition? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Does using AMEX for seats nullify benefits from the card used to purchase flights?

The underlying fare would qualify you for coverage in those cases.  Airlines that charge for seat selection, baggage fees, upgrades, in-flight purchases, etc. are not part of the fare itself.  Seat selection fees will generally sub-code as "additional collection" purchases on airlines with their own MCCs, and who actually charge for that.

Message 2 of 6
LovinChicago
Established Member

Re: Does using AMEX for seats nullify benefits from the card used to purchase flights?

Thanks, @K-in-Boston !

Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Not addressing the question of how trip insurance works, but I don't think the purchase of a seat upgrade using an AMEX Platinum nor AMEX Hilton Aspire will trigger the airline fee reimbursement. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

Not addressing the question of how trip insurance works, but I don't think the purchase of a seat upgrade using an AMEX Platinum nor AMEX Hilton Aspire will trigger the airline fee reimbursement. 

Paid upgrades do not, as that is just a difference in fares.  Fees to choose "more preferable" seat selections (closer to front, exit row) or to even choose an advance seat assignment for some airlines would be covered as incidentals as long as they are charged separately from the ticket purchase.  My understanding was that OP was planning to pay a seat fee separately and not upgrade to a higher fare code.

Message 5 of 6
LovinChicago
Established Member

Yes, that's correct. Thank you both for your info!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.