cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Cash, Better Balance Rewards or It?

tag
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

Re: Double Cash, Better Balance Rewards or It?

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@IFtkkdx428 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IFtkkdx428

I didn't want to quote your ginormous reply, lol. Smiley LOL But you are most welcome. I am so glad I downloaded the app myself. I don't have a lot of reward cards (yet) but when I add more at the end of the year, I will be definitely using it daily. And I love sharing my knowledge to help others. Hope you got enough replies to make a choice? Have you decided yet? I'd love to know which one you go with.

I haven't decided yet. Everyone has given a mix of opinions, which typically there all one sided. All opinions are excellent with valid points. Usually if I realize I have a need for another card, I don't wait around this long to make a decision. However, I'm not acting with as much haste this time around. I suppose I'll sleep on it a little longer and decide. I'll be sure to PM you to the link of the approval thread when I do though. Speaking of opinions, you never gave me yours, haha!

HHHMMM, my opinion.  I don't relish more than one 5% rotator.  The better app would be a second Sallie Mae.  Need about six months or more with current one.  If the Sallie Mae wasn't an instant approval online, then might have hard time getting second.  To me, quicksilver is as good as double cash (though my latest offer was 18 month 0%, 14.99 after).  Need to get Cap One EO to match that one.  I Personally wouldn't have both discover and freedom, and there does become a point in time where discover acceptance is an issue.

So, if not ready for second Sallie Mae, then go for BBR.  No need to take hits for HP's and AAoA for cards that kinda duplicate what you already have.  Another consideration, if not getting second Sallie Mae, and you are maxing out the categories, consider upgrading your BCE to BCP.

Above I talked about why I'm currently hitting Barclay's Sallie Mae cap. However, I believe I won't hit it once I change that habit. So for the time being, another Sallie Mae or BCP upgrade is out of the question. 

Message 31 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IFtkkdx428 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IFtkkdx428

I didn't want to quote your ginormous reply, lol. Smiley LOL But you are most welcome. I am so glad I downloaded the app myself. I don't have a lot of reward cards (yet) but when I add more at the end of the year, I will be definitely using it daily. And I love sharing my knowledge to help others. Hope you got enough replies to make a choice? Have you decided yet? I'd love to know which one you go with.

I haven't decided yet. Everyone has given a mix of opinions, which typically there all one sided. All opinions are excellent with valid points. Usually if I realize I have a need for another card, I don't wait around this long to make a decision. However, I'm not acting with as much haste this time around. I suppose I'll sleep on it a little longer and decide. I'll be sure to PM you to the link of the approval thread when I do though. Speaking of opinions, you never gave me yours, haha!

Haha, oh right. The whole point of your thread. Sorry. Smiley LOL

I am looking into each of those as well (also, keep in mind I have no experience with any of them, had a Discover card a long time ago, but no rewards I don't think). I would probably go with the BBR or the It. The BBR is easy to get the reward if you do a BT to the card or put one of your high expenses on it (I'd probably put my cable/internet bill on it, ~$100) and then just make more than the minimum payment. I plan on doing an app "spree" of about 3 cards towards the end of this year. I am looking to do the AmEx BCP, the Discover It and a Barclays card. To have 1 HP on each of my reports and no more. I would definitely use the It's rotating categories and I think I want the It before I get the BBR. I still have a long ways to go before I get to the lineup of cards where I will be happy. The DC is nice but I want more than 2% on my most used spend categories and currently there are plenty of cards that can do that for me and plus I have a QS (so the DC is only +0.5% more) so I will not look into a DC until a year or more after my app spree this fall/winter.

Hope this was helpful. Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IFtkkdx428 - my denial has nothing to do with my advice. i applied without thinking it through, and after thinking on it a day or two, i realized it would be basically pointless. so, i stated i wouldn't do both upon MY thoughts and reasonings when i evaluated the situation. i was kind of glad they didn't approve it because i figured i wouldn't use it much and it would be pointless.
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.