cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double and Triple pulls by Chase and Amex?

tag
Bluedog23
Regular Contributor

Double and Triple pulls by Chase and Amex?

I've read on here that double and sometimes triple pulls happen with Chase and Amex.Does anyone know what precipitates such measures-- what are they looking for? Or is this just something they do to random applicants?

Also, who are the folks most likely to get instant approvals?
EX 805 FICO, EQ Fico 762; TU. 768Discover)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Double and Triple pulses by Chase and Amex?

I think they double/triple pull people who are considered borderline. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 17
Exonumist
Established Contributor

They can pull all three credit bureaus if the application is borderline approval. AMEX did it to me when got my Green. As far as instant approvals go you will generally get them if you have good credit and they don't need to verify your identity or anything. 

Edited to put spaces between words. Not sure what happened there lol.

Message 3 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

If they pull multiple reports will they disclose that to you?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 17
Bluedog23
Regular Contributor

Oops. Sorry. Meant "pulls" not pulses!
Message 5 of 17
Bluedog23
Regular Contributor

Probably only find out through my credit monitoring alerts. Way too late then.
Message 6 of 17
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

If they pull multiple reports will they disclose that to you?

No you will find out either from a credit monitoring service or when you look at your reports. 

Message 7 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Borderline approvals. Chase has been doing this more and more it seems.
Message 8 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Double and Triple pulls by Chase and Amex?

@Bluedog23 wrote:
I've read on here that double and sometimes triple pulls happen with Chase and Amex.Does anyone know what precipitates such measures-- what are they looking for? Or is this just something they do to random applicants?

folks who are most likely to get instant approvals are usually people who have an established credit history with no major derogs on file.

if you're borderline approval, chances are they will triple pull you.

Chase seems to be double pulling people a lot, even in cases where people were approved instantly with >10k CLs. I wish I know why.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Double and Triple pulls by Chase and Amex?

@enharu wrote:

@Bluedog23 wrote:

folks who are most likely to get instant approvals are usually people who have an established credit history with no major derogs on file.

if you're borderline approval, chances are they will triple pull you.

Chase seems to be double pulling people a lot, even in cases where people were approved instantly with >10k CLs. I wish I know why.

Yes, I don't think that double pulls are just for borderline apps these days, Chase and Citi each did this to me, while giving instant approvals above $15K.  But others have reported still getting single pulls, so we just don't know.

And it might be the same for triple pulls.

I could imagine it would be useful research for a bank, take x % of apps and double pull them, to get some idea what they miss by single pulls, but that is probably not the reason!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.