Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

tag
jg1983
Regular Contributor

Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

Here is the situation. My car needs a new engine which will cost about $3000. It has been at the dealership for a few months now while I was trying to figure out how to come up with the money. The dealership told me today if I don't have the money by Monday I need to make arrangements to pick up my car. I am in the process of applying for a loan through Rise but it has been a week and they keep asking me for different documents and haven't given me a decision yet. On top of that the interest might be extremely high. If they approve me I will probably have no choice but to accept. However if I am not approved or don't get an answer in time I only have one other option and that is to max out the 2 credit cards i was just approved for. One is a DCU card with a $1000 limit and the other one is a NFCU card with a $1600 limit. I really don't want to resort to that because I have been working hard to clean up my credit and I want to keep my utilization around 10%.

If I do have to max out my cards how badly will this hurt my credit and how quickly can I recover if I pay the balances down over a few months? Also DCU has a 0% balance transfer deal going right now. Would it be a good idea to charge $1000 to the NFCU card then balance transfer it to the DCU card then go ahead and max out the NFCU card? That way the interest wont totally kill me. Like I said I don't want to max out my cards but I might not have a choice. Those cards were meant solely for building my credit but now I am in a no win situation. If I do get the Rise loan hopefully I can build my credit enough to get a personal loan from DCU in a few months to pay it off and bring the interest down. Neither DCU or NFCU will approve me for a personal loan right now but DCU said maybe after a couple months of on time credit card payments. Any input is greatly appreciated.

74 REPLIES 74
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

Fico's scores have no memory so everytime you pay down your balance then when statement cuts it will report and your scores will go back up each time.  Rinse and repeat until paid off if you are going the CC route.  Yes your scores will tank if you max out those two cards, but can recover when you pay them down/off.

I doubt either NFCU or DCU will take AA of any sort with those low CL's so you really have nothing to lose if you aren't applying for new credit during that time.  Just make sure you pay them off ASAP so you don't get slammed with interest.  Just my advise

Message 2 of 75
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Fico's scores have no memory so everytime you pay down your balance then when statement cuts it will report and your scores will go back up each time.  Rinse and repeat until paid off if you are going the CC route.  Yes your scores will tank if you max out those two cards, but can recover when you pay them down/off.

I doubt either NFCU or DCU will take AA of any sort with those low CL's so you really have nothing to lose if you aren't applying for new credit during that time.  Just make sure you pay them off ASAP so you don't get slammed with interest.  Just my advise

Just wondering, have you tried for a $5K CLOC with NFCU? I know that you mentioned that you couldnt get a personal loan from them, but, maybe that would be a possibility?

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 75
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

OP - also, is your car at a repair shop, or the dealership? Have you called other shops for a price? There could easily be a 500-800 dollar difference... You might be able to make this work somehow.... Smiley Happy

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Message 4 of 75
jg1983
Regular Contributor

Is it possible to get a CLOC with NFCU if I don't qualify for a personal loan and don't have direct deposit through them or am I just wasting an inquiry if I try?

As far as the dealership goes they are giving me $2000 towards the repairs but they have to do the work. I got an invoice from them and the engine was a little more than expected so I'm now up to $4500 I need so maxing out my cards wont even cover it all. I hope I can get something from Rise. Also the dealership told me if I don't have repairs started by Feb. 3rd they can no longer put $2000 towards it so time isn't on my side here.

Message 5 of 75
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

As has been stated, the utilization aspect of your score has no memory so as soon as you pay the balance down and your card(s) report your score will rebound to the appropriate level. A far more important credit concern is that you don't have any late/missed payments, which certainly might be more likely to occur if you're maxed out and having trouble.

Instead, my main advice/questions to consider aren't directly credit related. You stated that the car's been at the dealership for a few months, implying that you haven't used it for a few months and have somehow been making due without it. My advice would be to put off the repairs indefinitely and keep doing what you've been doing. Do you have somewhere you can just park it indefinitely? Arranging the cost of a tow to that location would be much less expensive and possibly free depending on your situation (maybe a friend or relative who can tow it for you? AAA membership or something?) If you don't have somewhere you can park it indefinitely, you might also consider temporarily storing it. I've actualy done this exact thing. I used a self storage facility that also had parking facilities. It was completely secure and cost me around $65 a month. Of course this isn't the best option and if you can just take it home and park it somewhere, or find a friend/family member who will let you leave it on their property that's much better. Alternatively, you could of course sell it/scrap it and be done with it altogether.

Bottom line: It sounds like you've been making do without the car and you don't really have the money to pay for repairs - so don't.

Best of luck with whatever you decide though!

Message 6 of 75
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Do you have checking, or just savings with NFCU?

They are so strange and all over the place with approvals, I have no idea what the outcome would be... it is possible I guess..

@jg1983 wrote:

Is it possible to get a CLOC with NFCU if I don't qualify for a personal loan and don't have direct deposit through them or am I just wasting an inquiry if I try?

As far as the dealership goes they are giving me $2000 towards the repairs but they have to do the work. I got an invoice from them and the engine was a little more than expected so I'm now up to $4500 I need so maxing out my cards wont even cover it all. I hope I can get something from Rise. Also the dealership told me if I don't have repairs started by Feb. 3rd they can no longer put $2000 towards it so time isn't on my side here.

Message 7 of 75
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

What kind of car are we talking about here?  Usually replacing an engine is code for trade it in unless there's a significant value for the vehicle.  The whole $2000 towards the repair is a gimmick to keep your business there.  You can usually find a rebuilt or pullled engine in the neighborhood of 2500-3000 on your own so, that negates the whole "discount".  What are they going to charge you for labor on the install??  $50/hr @ 8 hours is another $400, misc parts / wiring, spark plugs, oil/filer, air filter, etc. 

It would be much easier to swap the vehicle and get an auto loan than to play the shuffle game and deal with poachers to cover the expenses.

Message 8 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you said you just got those cards recently, but you could contact both creditors and request a CLI simply stating that you would like to make a purchase that your current limit won't cover. You may get denied, but with 2 creditors you have twice the chances... And it can't hurt to ask.

I agree though with the person above that suggested waiting a while in order to save up some of the funds. If you have a friend or family member that owns a home perhaps they'd let you park your car there for a few months free of charge. I'd also get an estimate on another engine from 1-2 other places, including installation. How old is the car? If it isn't very new, perhaps a used engine would be a smarter option?
Message 9 of 75
jg1983
Regular Contributor

As far as me being able to make it without my car that is not true at all. I have a $300 beater currently and drive 70 miles one way to work and I am lucky that car hasn't left me stranded on the side of the road yet (in a Wisconsin winter storm) so I really do need my car back asap. The other thing is like I said if I don't move on this by Feb. 3rd they will no longer put $2000 towards the repairs. Also the dealership is about 100 miles away so towing arrangements will not be cheap. I have AAA but I don't know if I can use it in this situation or not.

As far as having a checking account with NFCU goes I do. I have my direct deposit with DCU though because I just refinanced my car loan through them. I sent some documents to Rise and I am waiting to get an answer from them. Anyone ever dealt with them or know what their qualifications are? I have heard their interest is very high so I might be ebtter off maxing out the cards and use them just for the remaining balance. I figured I would have a month or 2 to sort this all out and could build my credit in the mean time for a personal loan but the dealership blind sided ,e today and said I have until Monday to pay half the costs and Feb. 3rd to pay the rest. If Rise doesn't approve me and I can't find a loan of at least $2000 by Monday I will be in a bad situation.

Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.