Expanding. Which Cards, and Why?

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Expanding. Which Cards, and Why?

@Anonymous wrote:

Remedios,

Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this stuff, so I have a few follow-up questions...

1. "Second Disco"? Is that the name of a card or are you under the impression I already have a Discover card?
  2. What does the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited have that I'd benefit most from?
  3. What do you mean by "if under 5/24"?
  4. I'm renting with utils included, phone is on a family plan, so not sure about the Cash+.
  5. Does the Cash+ have decent categories? I couldn't find a list or any examples of their categories...

Saeren, I don't spend much yearly, so cards that offer first year or sign-up bonuses wouldn't benefit me very much. Especially when most of my expenditures would fall under amazon, gas, or dining. Speaking of dining, any reason you went with the Savor instead of the Uber card?

I've never used Apple Pay, but I do have an iPhone and Apple Watch; just never took the time to figure it out while checking out. 🤔

1) Your signature is still confusing her I think since I think she's seeing that as you already having the card

2) If you're not wanting to invest in the UR ecosystem then the Unlimited is a non-starter with your current DC, Freedom is in play since it'll give you a rotating 5% card. Check the past quarter categories to see if your spend works with them even if it is YMMV

3) 5/24 is a rule Chase has where you cannot apply for a Chase card if you have 5 or more open accounts in the past 24 months

4) Then keep a bookmark on it for now and perhaps your situation will change later to make it more palpable

5) Yes though it's subject to change.

Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

SouthJamaica,

Thanks for your response... I was intrigued, and looked into it a bit (please do correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm horrible at math), but looking at the Citi Premier site; it mentions 60,000 points are redeemable for $750 in airfairs or $600 in giftcards. When buying gas, you get 3 points for every dollar spent... so in a best case scenario, assuming you spent $20,000 on gas to obtain 60,000 (20000 * 3) points, it'd be equivilant to about 3.75% (750 / 20000) cash back on airfairs or 3% (600 / 20000) back on giftcards. Worst case, getting 1 point per dollar, you'd get about 1.25% (750 / 60000) if spent on an airfair or 1% (600 / 60000) on giftcards.

Considering you're paying $95 annually, the Uber card gives 3% back on hotels and airfairs, and my other cards give 2% back on other purchases... I'm not sure it'd be the best fit for me unless I were spending a lot travel, hotels, etc. on a yearly basis. 😕

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

if i was you i would go after cards with the toughest UW first since youve been gardening a while. us bank, umb, fnbo, chase, etc. its easy to get a discover or something else afterwards. and then maybe look into cu cards.

Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I applied for the Cash+ and think I was instantly approved with a ~$6k SL, but the email then said it's subject to additional verifcation. Which general use travel card is good? I was looking at the Wells Fargo Propel... any other suggestions I should consider?

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

travel reward cards have an AF, i think most people prefer chase's reward system. also look into amex gold/plat, and capitalOne venture. if you don't like AF's theres a few cards without it but then you probably won't be earning enough points to use for anything.

Message 15 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

travel reward cards have an AF, i think most people prefer chase's reward system. also look into amex gold/plat, and capitalOne venture. if you don't like AF's theres a few cards without it but then you probably won't be earning enough points to use for anything.

I think here in recent months there has been several heavy hitters now leaning more towards Amex.   Chase has lost some valued partners, and Amex has increased ways of earning MRs (e.g. ebates).   And with the Double Cash changes, some are excited about Citi's TYP.

But yes still a lot of Chase fans.

Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obvious choice would be freedom and/or IT, rotating 5% is probably the highest reward rate in cash back cards.

If you want to get into travel and points, and if you only want no AF cards, then only option is propel and wells fargo visa signature combo.

If you are willing to fork AF, which oftenly worth the cost, options will be chase system, amex system, citi system. To figure out which is the best for you, you will have to check your spending habit (how much you spend in each category), your travel habit (airline, airport, frequency, class).

Message 17 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied for the Cash+ and think I was instantly approved with a ~$6k SL, but the email then said it's subject to additional verifcation. Which general use travel card is good? I was looking at the Wells Fargo Propel... any other suggestions I should consider?

6K is good with USB considering I was autodenied for inq's, recon'd for 1K/ea and then again for a 10K/ea counteroffer. 

General Travel.... there really isn't one other than say CSP  / CSR with Chase or Gold / Platinum with Amex.  Propel is generic enough to pick up some cash on spend though.  

Travel is usually a little more specific in branding for getting the most beng for your spend.  If you're loyal to one chain or another then targeting a specific brand is ideal.  If you're more of a Priceline name your price sort of traveler w/o loyalty then there's actually a Priceline card through BArclay's that's 5% on purchases and you get a bonus on priceline redemptions on top of it.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/priceline-rewards-visa-card/

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only travel 1-2 times a year and tend to shop around on various sites to find the best prices at the most convenient times/locations. So I guess, aside from buying gas, I don't really spend much in terms of travel. I can hold off on getting a travel card... 

I'm on disability, so I have a limited income and am restricted to $2,000 in assets. My student loan accounts have recently closed, so my 3 cards are my only open accounts. I'm renting, so no mortgages or anything...  Trying to build credit while having these restrictions is a bit more challenging than normal. I was just looking for 2 more cards (so I have 5 accounts open), that aren't going to cost me (since my income is so limited), that I'd hopefully find useful and would never need to close them.

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I only travel 1-2 times a year and tend to shop around on various sites to find the best prices at the most convenient times/locations. So I guess, aside from buying gas, I don't really spend much in terms of travel. I can hold off on getting a travel card... 

I'm on disability, so I have a limited income and am restricted to $2,000 in assets. My student loan accounts have recently closed, so my 3 cards are my only open accounts. I'm renting, so no mortgages or anything...  Trying to build credit while having these restrictions is a bit more challenging than normal. I was just looking for 2 more cards (so I have 5 accounts open), that aren't going to cost me (since my income is so limited), that I'd hopefully find useful and would never need to close them.

I'm actually in a similar situation with the $2K asset limit because of Medicaid and I'm on SSDI which is why I don't have any cards that have an AF. 

I don't travel but if I had any travel, the Propel would be the card I would go to for travel cash back with no AF. 

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.