M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: FNBO CLD

@difringe wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@difringe wrote:

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

So I call up FNBO bc I hit the 4 months mark and wanted to try for a CLI. They said no bc my account was just CLD. HUH?? I have never had a cld on any account ever and I have no missed payments or late payments on their acct or any other. No changes to my credit which sit around 765 and I'm seriously baffled. I opened the card 10 months ago. I'm carrying a 0% balance of about 3k of 16,500 limit. They slashed my limit to 3150. So balance chased? But why?? So, paid off that card and I'm closing it today. I am pretty mad bc they did this right at statement cut and now it shows I have a card at 95% utilization. Should I let one more statement generate (with a zero balance) or just close it now? I really want to close it now but I want what's best for my fico ... Thanks. 

Btw, similar thing happened to me today. I got the FNBO Evergreen card back in Dec 2021, had an increase some time this year to $16,500. I paid off the initial balance transfer (and purchases) that I made on the card (I had like $9k on it because of the 0%), but since purchases are 0% for a year, I put $2k on this card over the past couple of months. Statement cut yesterday with the $2k on the card and showing the limit of $16,500, but today I got an Experian alert that the card was CLD to $2400.  Similar to OP, I'm just going to pay it off next month and not use the card again, that's no way to keep a customer IMO. 

FICO scores have remained in the same range (720s) as has my total overall balance (around 20% utilization). I have no card reporting as over 88% usage except this card (if they report with the new limit).  Been in the garden since December 2021, so no new inquiries or accounts. Very strange behavior.

Edit: If you check their reviews on WalletHub, there are plenty of people reporting similar behavior, so I guess this is just how FNBO rolls. Will keep that in mind if in the future they have another FOTM card.

You're right, I looked at Wallet Hub FNBO reviews and most of the ones I saw dealt with similar instances of balance-chasing CLD's.  What the heck is going on?

@SouthJamaica, Just use the card as you normally would.

We have NO idea the people's profiles or any other things that would cause AA.

Not going to say we are exempt, so far my (3) cards are untouched.

Not changing anything. If they want to CLD, then so be it.

As of this post, nothing has changed when I log in.

I am NOT going to change my spending patterns in hopes of anything.

ETA: Current Balance on biz card

Current Balance:
$12,509.99

Has been between $12-$55K ..since the card was opened and Auto-increased..

i agree that if the relationship is working for you, you probably shouldn't change anything, but i'll say in my case, they literally cld me after i let a balance report, but only after i had paid off a much larger balance. i say that to say that you don't necessarily know what behavior could trigger it (you yourself said you don't even use the personal card and you haven't had a cld, whereas someone else got one seemingly for non-use)

since we don't have access to their black box, and we don't know each other's finances in their entirety, obviously ymmv on this stuff. judging from your approvals, i imagine you earn quite a bit. it could be that income is more important than we know. it could be that since you just weren't using the card at all, they don't see you as a risk (although i wonder how they consider you profitable on the personal card side lol). "maybe if you started using the personal card and let a balance report they'd cld you, maybe they wouldn't." as you note, that'd be a different pattern of usage for you. 

obviously we're all rooting for each other to not have cld at any point, just noting that fnbo might possibly be changing how they do things

@difringe, Again sorry for your CLD.

"maybe if you started using the personal card and let a balance report they'd cld you, maybe they wouldn't."as you note, that'd be a different pattern of usage for you."

I <raises hand> for the Guinea pig science test, from non-use to a fair amount, so we''ll see about that theory?

I will post back, if they take any AA.

(Click image to enlarge)(Click image to enlarge)

Message 71 of 315
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@difringe wrote:

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

So I call up FNBO bc I hit the 4 months mark and wanted to try for a CLI. They said no bc my account was just CLD. HUH?? I have never had a cld on any account ever and I have no missed payments or late payments on their acct or any other. No changes to my credit which sit around 765 and I'm seriously baffled. I opened the card 10 months ago. I'm carrying a 0% balance of about 3k of 16,500 limit. They slashed my limit to 3150. So balance chased? But why?? So, paid off that card and I'm closing it today. I am pretty mad bc they did this right at statement cut and now it shows I have a card at 95% utilization. Should I let one more statement generate (with a zero balance) or just close it now? I really want to close it now but I want what's best for my fico ... Thanks. 

Btw, similar thing happened to me today. I got the FNBO Evergreen card back in Dec 2021, had an increase some time this year to $16,500. I paid off the initial balance transfer (and purchases) that I made on the card (I had like $9k on it because of the 0%), but since purchases are 0% for a year, I put $2k on this card over the past couple of months. Statement cut yesterday with the $2k on the card and showing the limit of $16,500, but today I got an Experian alert that the card was CLD to $2400.  Similar to OP, I'm just going to pay it off next month and not use the card again, that's no way to keep a customer IMO. 

FICO scores have remained in the same range (720s) as has my total overall balance (around 20% utilization). I have no card reporting as over 88% usage except this card (if they report with the new limit).  Been in the garden since December 2021, so no new inquiries or accounts. Very strange behavior.

Edit: If you check their reviews on WalletHub, there are plenty of people reporting similar behavior, so I guess this is just how FNBO rolls. Will keep that in mind if in the future they have another FOTM card.

You're right, I looked at Wallet Hub FNBO reviews and most of the ones I saw dealt with similar instances of balance-chasing CLD's.  What the heck is going on?

@SouthJamaica, Just use the card as you normally would.

We have NO idea the people's profiles or any other things that would cause AA.

Not going to say we are exempt, so far my (3) cards are untouched.

Not changing anything. If they want to CLD, then so be it.

As of this post, nothing has changed when I log in.

I am NOT going to change my spending patterns in hopes of anything.

ETA: Current Balance on biz card

Current Balance:
$12,509.99

Has been between $12-$55K ..since the card was opened and Auto-increased..

Agreed but it would be nice to know why FNBO does this, so one could avoid it. In my case it wouldn't be a big deal, because utilization is not a thing in business cards, so if the card got balance chased it wouldn't affect anything. But still I'd rather avoid such things.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 72 of 315
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@lgtwriter wrote:

@SouthJamaica I know you read my thread about my FNBO closure because you kudo'ed it lol. Smiley Happy I am posting the link here in case anyone else is interested. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/FNBO-massive-credit-line-decrease/m-p/6593671#M1828708

There are some comments on the FNBO threads calling the FNBO closures "Adverse Actions" based on credit risks, but I don't think that is the case in a lot of these recent FNBO closures. At least in my case,  I always paid the card in full, never used it for anything over $50, and only did that twice. My fico was 791 and my utilization is 2% across all my cards (or less). My income is over 200k which while not a mega-salary, is definitely enough to support my credit usage.

My card was closed for nonuse.

I think other cards are being closed for not using the card much except for balance transfers. That seems to be the trend of the closures from what I have read so far.

My FNBO evergreen card was being used as a daily driver, so there were lots of swipe fees. But I never used more than 10% of my 15k limit in a month and always paid it off right away or most of it off right away. I never had a balance for more than 2 months in a row. That card has the credit limit intact. So far.

I think that FNBO wants swipes without risk, ie a lot of activity on the card that is paid off right away.

I fit the "paid off right away" but I don't fit the "a lot of activity", even on the Evergreen card.

I plan on sock-drawering or closing the card when I pay it off the $500 balance next week.

My usage has been pretty much the same. Lots of swipes, after the promo period utilization at 10% or less, haven't carried a balance since the promo period. So maybe I'm giving them what they want.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 73 of 315
difringe
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007  you're a mensch, i look forward to the results!

the cld didn't harm me other than the balance-chased card reporting maxed out now, just an irritance. one of my favorite things about this place is ppl's willingness to share information, so thought i'd do my part. 

Message 74 of 315
Kforce
Valued Contributor

My point of view.

It is maybe an 8 on a 10 scale.

A few nice things and a few not so perfect attributes. (Just like me)

Not going to change the way I use my card.

The card is not on the SallieMae, AOD, or USAlliant level, it is just a card.

Lots of other 2% fish

Message 75 of 315
marmoset

Well, I guess my wife can join the FNBO AA party.  They apparently just closed her Evergreen Card (haven't got the letter yet) without notice or any solid reason.  We were traveling and it got declined so she called up customer service expecting just to have to clear a fraud alert, but they said her account was under review and didn't know anything else.  Online access and everything were completely blocked for 2 weeks during which time she did not even have access to statements or online payment.  Then today the online account came back with everything apparently normal except available credit is zero although it still shows the full $18,000 credit limit.  I assume the account is closed but waiting for the letter.  For added irony, since she just got back into her online account today, which is her birthday, there is a banner saying "Happy Birthday, _______. Best wishes on your birthday!"

Her FICO Bankcard 9 score strait from FNBO is 769.  Utilization under 1% with all accounts PIF. The FNBO Evergreen card was being used heavily, ~$1,000 monthly and PIF.  She did pay before the statement cut a few times so it showed zero balance.  Nothing bad anywhere in her credit reports.  Literally a week before they shut her card off, they gave her a $3000 CLI from $15,000 to $18,000.

As to speculation about what spooked them????   Her inquiries are high at 8.  Only two of those were after FNBO gave her the card, but who knows.   The month before they closed the card she was traveling overseas and then domestically in two different regions of the country so it would not have surprised us at all if her usage triggered a fraud alert but that should be easily cleared. She has a newish credit file on her own but decades old AU cards.  Our income is over $200k and up quite a bit from when she opened the card.  Overall, everything else about her credit profile is improved from where it was when she got the card.

I think this is going to be a case of different departments using very different standards and methodology.

We have no intention of trying to get them to reconsider.  We have determined FMBO to be flaky and unreliable.  Very annoyed that they blocked online access for two weeks without notice.  Luckily, she had just redeemed her points for $400 but there are another $25 worth of points locked up and probably gone. Cash out your points often if you have this card.

Message 76 of 315
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@marmoset wrote:

Well, I guess my wife can join the FNBO AA party.  They apparently just closed her Evergreen Card (haven't got the letter yet) without notice or any solid reason.  We were traveling and it got declined so she called up customer service expecting just to have to clear a fraud alert, but they said her account was under review and didn't know anything else.  Online access and everything were completely blocked for 2 weeks during which time she did not even have access to statements or online payment.  Then today the online account came back with everything apparently normal except available credit is zero although it still shows the full $18,000 credit limit.  I assume the account is closed but waiting for the letter.  For added irony, since she just got back into her online account today, which is her birthday, there is a banner saying "Happy Birthday, _______. Best wishes on your birthday!"

Her FICO Bankcard 9 score strait from FNBO is 769.  Utilization under 1% with all accounts PIF. The FNBO Evergreen card was being used heavily, ~$1,000 monthly and PIF.  She did pay before the statement cut a few times so it showed zero balance.  Nothing bad anywhere in her credit reports.  Literally a week before they shut her card off, they gave her a $3000 CLI from $15,000 to $18,000.

As to speculation about what spooked them????   Her inquiries are high at 8.  Only two of those were after FNBO gave her the card, but who knows.   The month before they closed the card she was traveling overseas and then domestically in two different regions of the country so it would not have surprised us at all if her usage triggered a fraud alert but that should be easily cleared. She has a newish credit file on her own but decades old AU cards.  Our income is over $200k and up quite a bit from when she opened the card.  Overall, everything else about her credit profile is improved from where it was when she got the card.

I think this is going to be a case of different departments using very different standards and methodology.

We have no intention of trying to get them to reconsider.  We have determined FMBO to be flaky and unreliable.  Very annoyed that they blocked online access for two weeks without notice.  Luckily, she had just redeemed her points for $400 but there are another $25 worth of points locked up and probably gone. Cash out your points often if you have this card.

FNBO is a conservative lender, they were never known for this kind of activity however, over the past 5-6 years they have been really expanding their credit card offers outside their normal banking footprint. I do believe they may have overextended themselves in issuing cards and large credit lines. In todays market place Im pretty sure its all the travel that spooked them especially the overseas travel. The number of inquries may have factored into it they would have the total number of them across all CRAs as they use Sagestream as well as the normal CRAs, her new credit probably played into it as well, even though there may be decades old AUs banks tend to discount these as a basis when one is being reviewed for something. As her file ages with her own accounts then this kind of thing tends to diminish.

Message 77 of 315
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

@marmoset wrote:

Wow, I moved earlier this year and tried applying for the EverGreen before my address was updated with the bureaus, so they declined me. I was upset then but sounds like I dodged a bullet. 

Them giving your wife a CLI shortly before closing her account entirely is especially weird. If the WalletHub reviews are any indication, it looks like this unpredictable behavior is becoming commonplace. I wonder what they're thinking with this type of behavior. I get a lender mitigating risk, but their behavior seems nonsensical for that goal. 

Message 78 of 315
difringe
Established Contributor

Wow, I moved earlier this year and tried applying for the EverGreen before my address was updated with the bureaus, so they declined me. I was upset then but sounds like I dodged a bullet. 

Them giving your wife a CLI shortly before closing her account entirely is especially weird. If the WalletHub reviews are any indication, it looks like this unpredictable behavior is becoming commonplace. I wonder what they're thinking with this type of behavior. I get a lender mitigating risk, but their behavior seems nonsensical for that goal. 

i think one of the things to remember is that ostensibly the people experiencing these clds are in the small minority of fnbo card-holders. i imagine the vast majority are at least satisfied. as stated earlier, fnbo is a conservative lender, so their risk appetite is lower than others. for them, it's better to mitigate the risk of users possibly maxing out their cards and not paying them off (by issuing clds) than to appease those users and let that available credit sit out there to be used.

Message 79 of 315
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@difringe I wouldn't assume that the credit line decreases are "in the small minority". There is no data to support that. It is just as likely that the credit line increases we read about are in the small minority. I hope no one loses their FNBO credit line that truly needs and wants it.

What concerned me about my massive credit line decrease was that I had absolutely no risk factors.

1. I have 2% utilization or under and only have that because I can't keep track of closing dates on my cards sometimes so a balance reports now and then.

2. I never use more than 10% of my available credit on any card and pay them all off each month. 

3. I am single, live in a low-cost-of-living state, and make over 200k (not counting my yearly stock grants)

4. My fico is 791 to 795 on all three bureaus

I concluded that my card was closed for non-use as stated earlier in the thread. But why not give me a warning or cut the limit slowly? to go from 15k to 500 dollars just makes me never want to deal with FNBO again, and now that they did that with the Getaway card, I have stopped using the Evergreen card as a daily driver. I don't mind being bribed with incentives to use a particular card, but I will not allow myself to be blackmailed by a bank to use their card.  "Use it or lose it" is fine. I just make sure I don't keep large balances on any card so that if I "lose it" I won't suffer a decreased fico score.  YMMV.

Message 80 of 315
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.