Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNBO credit line decrease

tag
BlueSea
New Contributor

FNBO credit line decrease

Hello. First post here. 2 months ago i paid my home improvement contractor over $13 000 with my FNBO visa credit card. At first i received a bunch of calls to see if the transaction was legit. 10 days later right before the statement i paid it off. After the statement cut i saw that my credit limit was decreased from $14650 to $1000.  I called them a few times and sent a couple of faxes. Nothing. Recently they told me it'd be a HP to see if they can raise it again. My credit is spotless with no bad stuff.  CK score 726-737.  Fico 9 is around 765. Why would i waste a HP when next month they may lower it again? Anyone experienced something like that? I was happy with the bank until this.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: FNBO credit line decrease

Well that wasn't cool! Nothing else changed on your CRs in a negative way? That reminds me of what Barclays does to some customers.

I'd look at joining some solid CUs. Those that aren't easily frightened by you using your CCs and PIF.

I also suggest, gunning for a higher limit. That way it doesn't look like your maxing out the card.
Message 2 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of this behavior from FNBO on this forum... think they would like you charging and paying that big amount...  As other poster posted make sure nothing else has showed up on your CR?  What time of faxes did they request or were they just requests by you to get your CL back such as a letter?

Message 3 of 12
BlueSea
New Contributor

I had been using their 5.99% offer for over a year. Since the high utilization my score was around 600. But it didn't bother them back then. 

Message 4 of 12
BlueSea
New Contributor

When i called them they told me it's system generated but gave me a run around. The first fax i sent was to disputes. They replied i had to send it to management. I did. No one replied. Today almost 2 months later i sent a message via the online portal. I'll see what will happen. I guess nothing. They are weird though. I have another card with them the Travelite. While on one of my calls about the issue they increased its limit from $2300 to $4800 very easily with a SP. Go figure. 

Message 5 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I would not waste any more time sending SMs and calling customer support but would instead send a polite letter addressed directly to the CEO.   Odds are that he wouldn't read it himself personally,  but one of his direct staff will.

Mod note:  We can't put contact info in forum posts.  --UB

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

I would not waste any more time sending SMs and calling customer support but would instead send a polite letter addressed directly to the CEO.   Odds are that he wouldn't read it himself personally,  but one of his direct staff will.

Mod note:  We can't put contact info in forum posts.  --UB

Agree with this poster ... in my past I wrote a letter directly to the Vice President who managed the FNBO Bank Cards Portfolio and they would not budge on my request (which was different). They removed the previous VP for things that got the FDIC down their back for violations of law related to the sale of credit card insurance. So ... write directly to the owner/chair (nothing ventured nothing gained). Have been a customer of their's in the past and they never behaved this way! In fact, their rewards were not the best in the old days but, the credit limits and auto increases were many and great. Since they went on a risk mangement diet around August 1, 2015 when they removed all NPSL (Flexible Credit Spending Limits) from their credit cards, they may have changed their risk tolerance (just speculating). Smiley Frustrated Holding out hope as this could happen to others of us.

Message 7 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Well well this is the first I have heard from this bank and I have had them for over  6 years now. I have been carrying a balance for 2 years now at 5.99% on my Amex (originally a Discover) with them and recently received an auto CLI and never once have I made a purchase charge on it. I no longer receive any offers of BT from them once I went past 6 months carrying on the 5.99%, dont care have plenty of good offers from other creditors. Limit on the Amex is 17.5K and I have their Bucksback Visa as well at 15.5K. I think their computer didnt like the low Fico score and that is why the CLD happened. 

Message 8 of 12
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@BlueSea wrote:

Hello. First post here. 2 months ago i paid my home improvement contractor over $13 000 with my FNBO visa credit card. At first i received a bunch of call to see if the transaction was legit. 10 days later right before the statement i paid it off. After the statement cut i saw that my credit limit was decreased from $14650 to $1000.  I called them a few times and sent a couple of faxes. Nothing. Recently they told me it'd be a HP to see if they can raise it again. My credit is spotless with no bad stuff.  CK score 726-737.  Fico 9 is around 765. Why would i waste a HP when next month they may lower it again? Anyone experienced something like that? I was happy with the bank until this.

Some banks are spooked by very large payments--especially if a large payment is a high % of your reported monthly income or exceeds your monthly income. I often wonder if some banks prepare a SAR in such cases or in the case of payments in excess of $10K as they do for checking/savings account deposits made of $10K+.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 9 of 12
kugel
Valued Contributor

Very not nice and nasty this behavior
I know Barclays and Bofa does it also
We should put together a data list of the banks that does it so we all know not to app for thier cards
Are cu really better in this behavior?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.