Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Ready to App, Suggestions?

tag
SoCalBound
Contributor

Re: Finally Ready to App, Suggestions?

@jamie123 wrote:

You definitely need to wait until your UTI is updated then I would start with the prime banks first and work your way down the list.

And only one store card. Walmart for the free TU FICO score every month.

How old are your current cards and have you ever called for CLI?

I wasnt going to put in any further apps until equifax and transunion utility updated.  Hopefully my EQ wont be so sad looking.  They both should be anyday now since Experian updated yesterday.

My current cards are:

BoA - 3 years 2 months

Orchard Bank - 2 years

Capital One - 2 years

I have never initiated a CLI on any of those cards.  Capital One... well... it's a starter capital one.  Orchard Bank, they always gave me auto CLI and I wimped out with 2 customer initiated requests due to being afraid of a HP.  It's the same story with BoA.  The BoA card I tended to use the least and let the balances sit since it had a low limit, gave no rewards and had a low interest rate.  Meanwhile the card with no chance of a CLI I would run money like mad through and pay it off repeatedly monthly.

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 11 of 25
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Congrats on Amex approvals, no surprise considering you had no inq's on Amex and they pull Ex most of the time.  Have you considered Wal Mart card from GE? They offer a free TU fico score with online statement enrollment.  Maybe Citi Forward or Chase Amazon as well.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 12 of 25
SoCalBound
Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

Do you know what your  limit on the BCP is? If not, call & ask.

I could be wrong about this but if you're on Chase's blacklist they'll just kick ur app back & won't even bother running your credit. For such a measly amount it might be a smart idea to just pay it & clear it up with them. Chase closed a cheking acct I had with them with a negative balance last year & they still approved me from a Freedom card last month, so you might be ok.

You may want to look into Citi's cards as they seem to pretty generous w/ CL which would help you out with util. However, they base their CL in large part on income. Check out the Forward & the ThankYou cards. 

Btw, congrats on your double Amex approvals! I'm jealous of your BCP as I just got denied last week. 

Thank you, regarding the double Amex, it was actually a really big ego boost, even if the limits end up being small.  A little over 2 years ago I tried for a WFNNB backed card and got denied, it was confidence killer.  However while shopping at Victoria Secrets the other day I saw I was preapproved for $750 (didnt take it) but it gave me the confidence to try Amex.  I do not know the limit for BCP, the offices were closed when I tried to call.

Im trying to determine if taking the double AAoA and waiting several months will be more beneficial than trying to start relationships with other lenders at this point.  I really do want to fix my relationship with Chase, the amount is small, but it's been one of those out of sight out of mind things.

I was looking into Citi last night.  There are a couple cards that would be useful.  So I will keep them in mind

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Message 13 of 25
SoCalBound
Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

Congrats on Amex approvals, no surprise considering you had no inq's on Amex and they pull Ex most of the time.  Have you considered Wal Mart card from GE? They offer a free TU fico score with online statement enrollment.  Maybe Citi Forward or Chase Amazon as well.

I have thought about it, but I dont think I would use it for anything but the credit limit to be added to my utilization and the fico score, which I guess is what a lot of other people use it for.

Message 14 of 25
etothejomegan
Valued Member

I also think you should wait before applying for Cash+. US Bank is extremely unlikely to go beyond matching people's existing highest limit. You should get a card with a limit of at least $6000 before applying or else you most likely will be getting a lower tier card that they automatically consider you for if you don't qualify for Cash+ (since it's a VISA Signature and needs at least $5000 limit).

Message 15 of 25
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I would try calling for a CLI on your BoA card. You need to get that CL up a bit. That's a card that should grow with you. I can't beleive you are at $500 after 3 years I would be complaining to a CSR.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 16 of 25
SoCalBound
Contributor

Yeah, I wasnt going to apply for CSP or Us Bank Cash+, they are just current goal cards.

As for BCP, I called in this morning and was approved for $2000, which matches my current high limit.  I'm happy about that.

Message 17 of 25
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@SoCalBound wrote:

Yeah, I wasnt going to apply for CSP or Us Bank Cash+, they are just current goal cards.

As for BCP, I called in this morning and was approved for $2000, which matches my current high limit.  I'm happy about that.

Congrats!!

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 18 of 25
SoCalBound
Contributor

Oh it gets better, I hit up Chase Bank for a Amazon and Freedom today for 3000 and 3500.  I think these were all Experian pulls, Freedom required a recon.  Sadly I didnt even get to apply GE backed card or Discover.

To go from no credit file 3 years ago... to  2 years ago feeling worthless creditwise... to these three cards is amazing.  I'm holding myself back from buying a new camera at Amazon for my upcoming vacation, but it's tough! 

And I'm thankful, I wasnt blacklisted from Chase for a $52 bank account overdraft. I will treat them very good as I will Amex, I want to be good friends for life.

Message 19 of 25
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Bill Me Later does not report to any of the CRAs.  If you have Bill Me Later associated with a Paypal account, you cannot apply for the Paypal Extras MC because you can't have both associated with your Paypal account together.  I know this because I wanted to app for the Paypal Extras MC last week and that is what it said.  I have a second Paypal account that I use for business purposes and don't use often, but apped on that account and got approved.  I should get the card in a couple of days. 

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.