Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Credit Card

Hello,

I have just recently turned 18 and I would like to get my first credit card. My credit score, upon turning 18, was 773 (I have been an authorized user on my parents' accounts since I was born).

I applied for: Apple Card & Chase Freedom Unlimited, and got rejected to both (even though my credit score is high, my income level was too low, ~$12,000 yearly).

I am looking for a first credit card that has rewards (cashback or points) and no annual fee. Any suggestions of which ones would approve me?

Thank you!

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Credit Card

Discover would be an excellent place to start. Capital One would be my second choice, but it's hard to beat the Discover It card for a first card.

Message 2 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous hi and welcome 

Normally you'd start with either secured card, or student's card if still in school.

Depending on what you're spending your money on, there are several good secured cards that have potential to become unsecured in time. 

Discover is one of the better ones, followed by Citi, US Bank and Capital One Platinum, in no particular order. 

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios I was interested in the Citi Double Cash Back Card - would I get approved?

Even with my credit score, I have to start with a secured card?

Thank you for responding!

Message 4 of 34
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Discover and Capital One tend to be good for low income and new credit. With Cap One, you would most likely be looking at the Platinum, which has no rewards but is VERY good for people with bad/no credit. You MIGHT be able to get the Quicksilver or QS1, but the Platinum would be more likely in my opinion. 

Discover is another good one, but check the prequal site first. 

Good luck!!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 34
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

Definitely try the Discover secured card. It offers cash back too. Here is the link:

https://www.discovercard.com/application/website/prequal

Good luck!

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not everyone starts with a secured card but it may be a helpful option. I was able when I was younger to become an AU on my parents accounts like you and was able to jump wight into having an unsecured card. I certainly wouldn't start with the double cash. You need to be very thoughtful about which card you go for because with each denial and subsequent inquiry, it may become harder and harder. Check out the Discover prequalified site and start there. If you're not prequalified for a discover or cap one card, you may need to try for secured. How recent were your last two denials? 

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with upthread. I would try Discover or Cap1. We can only guess if you'll be approved. Most creditors such as the ones mentioned have prequalify tools on their websites, so you can see if you're prequalified for one of their cards. Good luck!

Message 8 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios I was interested in the Citi Double Cash Back Card - would I get approved?

Even with my credit score, I have to start with a secured card?

Thank you for responding!

Where are you seeing your score and what is it from (student loan, maybe?)

Citi is not particularly friendly to those with young and thin files. If you apply for Citi as your first unsecured card, you'd probably get denied. 

Their secured card can be product changed to DC after it "graduates" though. 

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there military affiliation in your family? If so, I would start with NFCU and see if they'll approve you for the cashRewards and if not, go for their nRewards secured card. NFCU is worth the work because they're amazing to grow with.

Otherwise I would try Capital One's Platinum if you don't want a secured card or Discover's secured card. It doesn't really get much better for people who are building credit than those two when it comes to major bank cards. It also doesn't hurt to get both if you can so they can grow together. 

It's worth noting that if you have banked somewhere for awhile, you might check with them and see if they will offer you a card. This can be a decent avenue as well. 

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.