Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First progress credit card

tag
razzy116
Established Contributor

First progress credit card

I have a First progress secured credit card that i putt a $200.00 deposit that i want to close, i have Amex Delta Gold card $1000.00 credit limit, Capitalone Quicksilver $500.00 credit limit hoping to get an increase in sept, Merrick credit card $1000.00 credit limit, Target credit card $500.00 credit limit, Bank of America credit card $500.00 credit limit, do you think i should close the First progress credit card? Thank you and be safe. 

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: c669
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: First progress credit card

If you paid annual fees, I would wait until you use that benefit. Or call them and see if they would refund unused AF. If not keep it open until the renewal for AF and then close it. You'll add few months of active account to your report.

Message 2 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

If you paid annual fees, I would wait until you use that benefit. Or call them and see if they would refund unused AF. If not keep it open until the renewal for AF and then close it. You'll add few months of active account to your report.

"To the extent not prohibited by law the Annual Fee is non-refundable except if we close your Account for a reason other than at your request and other than for your Default, in which case you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund of the portion of your Annual Fee which corresponds to the remaining portion of the annual period for which the Annual Fee was imposed. Your payment of the Annual Fee does not affect our right to close your Account or to limit your ability to make transactions on your Account.*"

OP, I'd still close it. You have a few good cards in place and $200 of total CL isn't a big share of the total.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 7
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

"To the extent not prohibited by law the Annual Fee is non-refundable except if we close your Account for a reason other than at your request and other than for your Default, in which case you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund of the portion of your Annual Fee which corresponds to the remaining portion of the annual period for which the Annual Fee was imposed. Your payment of the Annual Fee does not affect our right to close your Account or to limit your ability to make transactions on your Account.*"

OP, I'd still close it. You have a few good cards in place and $200 of total CL isn't a big share of the total.

This^

I started in the beginning, "Oh no, never close an account with a thin and new profile" but ended with "but you already have 5 other cards, TRASH THAT SECURED CARD!"

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am also thinking of closing this card. thank you.

@razzy116 wrote:

I have a First progress secured credit card that i putt a $200.00 deposit that i want to close, i have Amex Delta Gold card $1000.00 credit limit, Capitalone Quicksilver $500.00 credit limit hoping to get an increase in sept, Merrick credit card $1000.00 credit limit, Target credit card $500.00 credit limit, Bank of America credit card $500.00 credit limit, do you think i should close the First progress credit card? Thank you and be safe. 

Message 5 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes, you have at

@razzy116 wrote:

yes you have at least 3 prime cards now. You dont need this card

Message 6 of 7
razzy116
Established Contributor

Closed the First progress secured credit card on 8/19/20, getting the $200.00 plus interest back. Thank you every one for your advice. Thank you and be safe.

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: c669
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.