Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on Discover - twist ending

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Fraud on Discover - twist ending

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios look what I just got.  Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent

That's CSR, which has never been linked to my Amazon account.

Charge your phone, you bum. 

Message 31 of 57
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Hmmm.  Just to muddy the waters a bit, DW had a recurring fraudulent Amazon Prime charge showing up on an unused Wells Fargo Platinum card.   Card had never been used on Amazon or anywhere else... never swiped it.  It was a one time BT use card.  

Several months ago, Amazon Prime charges starting showing up on it... she disputed them, Wells Fargo removed them, rinse and repeat...  

After three months, DW moved the credit line to another Wells Fargo card and closed the Platinum card.

I have  no idea how who got the card information as it had never been used.

09/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 800, TU 779.
Fico 9: EX 772 07/14/24, EQ 789 07/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 32 of 57
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

No, it's not rhetorical question.  

I've just had this nagging idea for a while now about inside job fraud and Amazon. 

So far, it's happened a couple of times where I'll get fraudulent charges in darn batches, like one after another for a short period of time, then it stops once cards are replaced. 

Now that it's happened several times, I've noticed that cards not in my Amazon account were never part of these "batches". 

Not a single one. 

So, I thought maybe removing some of the payment methods would be useful, albeit very inconvenient.  

There is always a chance I just need to take off my tinfoil -lite hat and consider various ways fraud occurs, but still... 🤷‍♀️ 

This has been discussed on the forum before.  I know, because I stopped allowing the passive storage of cards on my Amazon account that I don't really use. I think I have three right now and may trim down at least one more. Thanks for the reminder!

Message 33 of 57
Remedios
Credit Mentor

New card updated in Samsung Wallet, delivery scheduled for today.  

I feel like conspiracy theorist because I've removed all payment methods from Amazon other than Amazon Prime card.

Probably stupid move given all the breaches and various methods card number can be "acquired", but it made me feel better, so whatever. 

I get the part "you ain't responsible for fraudulent charges" but I'm sure as kakapoopoodoodoo responsible for dealing with fraud charges, might as well pretend I can somehow prevent some of it (I don't mind lying to myself, it's a victimless crime). 

Message 34 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

(I don't mind lying to myself, it's a victimless crime). 

Only when you keep it to yourself.  Once you start posting about it, well......

As for taking action to prevent fraud to be in control do as I do:

Change SSN once a week, or more often if fraud is detected, move house and change jobs at least once a month, and major plastic surgery at least once a year. And if you have to purchase something  because it's too hard to take, use only stolen cards or stolen cash.  And never reveal the true secrets of your trade on the internet.

Yes, a bit of work, but the peace of mind can be worth it.

Message 35 of 57
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Change SSN once a week, or more often if fraud is detected, move house and change jobs at least once a month, and major plastic surgery at least once a year. And if you have to purchase something  because it's too hard to take, use only stolen cards or stolen cash.  And never reveal the true secrets of your trade on the internet.

Are you hiring? Surely Bank Of LLT could use a stellar personality like me. 

As far as changing SS, given my dyslexia, I do it whenever someone asks. I could transpose a single digit, that's my super secret superpower. 

Message 36 of 57
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Change SSN once a week, or more often if fraud is detected,

I find that if I keep 4-5 different SSNs active, cycle among them and cancel the oldest every third month it is more effective.

move house

A really good option is squatting in a vacant mansion for at least one month out of three. It breaks the trail (as there is no payment). It is also helpful for staying in shape, as so many have gyms and pools

change jobs at least once a month, and major plastic surgery at least once a year.

An alternative is maintain a job for 4-5 months and then do not work at all, for two months while living in the vacant mansions. Again, breaks the trail. During those months only pay with Crypto taken from hacked accounts.

And if you have to purchase something  because it's too hard to take, use only stolen cards or stolen cash.  And never reveal the true secrets of your trade on the internet.

As I mentioned, crypto taken from hacked accounts is also great, as it is harder to trace.

It is important to keep your FICO scores and active cards up to date on here.

Message 37 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

It is important to keep your FICO scores and active cards up to date on here.

Good point.    I love those that post full details (date they got the card, APR, SL, current CL).  Indicates that they are ripe for a social engineering attack.   Not that I would.  @ThomasJNewton, I live in Newton, what a coincidence!  What's your SSN?

Message 38 of 57
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Amazon doesn't require the CVV code to add a card which makes it easier for things like this happen.

Message 39 of 57
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Amazon doesn't require the CVV code to add a card which makes it easier for things like this happen.

I cannot add a card without it 

Screenshot_20220812-110844_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Message 40 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.