Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Amex NPSL to Amex CLI

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

From Amex NPSL to Amex CLI

I would love some advice around this. I currently have the Amex Gold Card. But honestly, the rewards for Amex isn’t like how it used to be. I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, which has a pretty hefty annual fee ($450). I have no problem paying this annual fee because I travel pretty often. So the benefits outweigh the annual fee. But I wanted to switch my Amex Gold Card to maybe a Amex BCE or something that doesn’t have an annual fee. I don’t want pay two expensive annual fee cards. Especially if I’m only really using one on a consistent basis. Is this going to be a HP on my credit if I did that? And does Amex consider that a new product so will my average age of accounts be impacted too?

Thanks for any advice!
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From Amex NPSL to Amex CLI

From my understanding Amex won't convert a charge account into a revolver. Especially if the reward structure is different. They may however counter you with a good retention offer

Message 2 of 5
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I see. So if I were to apply for a revolving card, would that count as a HP? And would they backdate my card to when I opened my gold card?
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@zeusta20 wrote:
I see. So if I were to apply for a revolving card, would that count as a HP? And would they backdate my card to when I opened my gold card?

Lately (last year or so) existing Amex cardholders have reported adding a new Amex account with no HP, but it's not 'guaranteed'... many here will say "expect a HP and be pleased if there's not one".  That said, it's been a while since I've read of an existing cardholder getting HP'd for a new account, so I would say your chances are good.  Smiley Happy

Regarding backdating, Amex stopped doing that back in March 2015.  Any new account will report being opened on the actual date it is approved. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can not PC from AMEX PRG to ED or BCE...you could downgrade to AMEX green ($95 AF). I did this, but then i just closed it yesterday as i was not using it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.