Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEMB CLI ?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

GEMB CLI ?

I have an Old Navy card w/$200 limit I got in Mar '11. I've read here that GEMB will give CLI after 4 months and have a couple of questions:

#1, Will GEMB do a hard or soft pull for CLI?

#2, Is the CLI automatic, or do I have to ask for it? (If I ask for it, will they then do a hard pull?)

#3, I have really only used the card once, for my original purchase. The ONLY reason why I would want a CLI is to help my score. From what I've read here, higher CLs help w/our util%. But I've also read that for best score, we should only carry a bal on one CC, which should report at <9%. So, if I need to have ONLY one CC rept at ,9% of that CCs CL, then how does it help me to have a higher limit on another card? I hope that  makes sense. I think I'm experiencing brain fog here, and can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: GEMB CLI ?

I have 3 GEMB cards jcpenny, walmart, new card lowe's opened last month, and with GEMB you can request a cli after every fourth statement cuts and it is a soft pull

although with some of their cards like walmart they give small cli's, but I have been getting them like clockwork every 4 months, with the card you have I do not know how generous gemb will be maybe someone will chime in who actually has this card, so if you have had 4 statements generated, you can hit the luv button.  Good Luck to you

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 11
smc733
Valued Contributor

^This.

They will sometimes even also Auto-CLI on the first 4th statement.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you. Do you use them a lot? I'm not sure what kind of CLI I'd get since I'm not really using the card. I may have to go into the store to pickup something small just to have activity on the card.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it. In the big picture, will a large CL on this CC help me get better cards and/or help my score?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

^This.

They will sometimes even also Auto-CLI on the first 4th statement.

That would be *really* nice. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had three GEMB cards (still have one open) and they have always granted a CLI on request - if four statements have cut since the last CLI or opening.

In 2 years, I've yet to get an automatic CLI on a GEMB.  Smiley Sad  The customer initiated CLI's  have always been soft pulls, however.  Smiley Happy

bichonmom- FICO looks at overall utilization and individual utilization.

Increased CL on a card may not matter as long as you follow the one card reporting <9% with the remaining cards reporting 0.

I like to increase my CL's because it's just easier to manage the utilization thingy.  And on cards I plan on keeping open for a long time, it's handy - they're just much easier to use than a low CL card.  Increased store card CL's may or may not influence other CL's.  In my case, they haven't.  Their CL's are still smaller than my CU or bank cards.

Message 6 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thatnk you, BeamMEup. Helpful info. I guess the CLI would make it easier to shop at that particular store, but it sounds like it probably wouldn't help with my util% very much, if at all.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

And, depending on the store (they seem to have their own "typical" amount on CLI's) 3 CLI's a year at say $300 (what I typically get on my Dillard's) is almost a grand a year.  That adds up over time.  Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 11
slarano
Frequent Contributor

I have several GEMB-backed accounts and all of my CLI requests have been soft pulls. They are very good about that, and are also very good about periodic CLI's on their own.  I know a fair amount of people on these boards don't like them, but I've never had a problem and will continue to have their accounts even after I one day go past 750+. Smiley Wink

ImageImageImage

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have an Old Navy card in which I opened around Mar. Limit was $200. After 4th statement cut I was given a $300 increase. So now $500. So I would expect for you to see an increase on yours as well. I usally spend $30 to $60 every month. I can also add I had a balance of $130 on it when I was given the CLI. Bought some shoes through piperlime. They too have pretty good sales. Top notch sneakers.

So Good Luck!!! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.