Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Buypower WEMC does do Credit Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GM Buypower WEMC does do Credit Steps

When researching Cap1's GM Buypower card, I noticed no definitive answer on whether it does Credit Steps like actual Cap1 cards. I can confirm it does. There was a little flyer in the welcome packet that said make 5 payments and your limit could increase. This is noteworthy since they HP on manual CLIs unlike real Cap1 cards. FYI.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: GM Buypower WEMC does do Credit Steps

Yup, hubby and I both got the steps on our cards
Message 2 of 10
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Oh I thought that was pretty well known...

Also, I've had my card for 15 months; have only received the steps increase. I've hit the CLI request button times and never got a HP. I have been declined each time though Smiley LOL

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I received a letter in the mail about a week after I received my card last month about that. After 5 payments they will do an auto CLI from $2000 to a whopping $2500!

What a joke. Cap1 gave me a Venture card with a starting limit of $15k in March which is now at $21,500 and 2% utilization and they only approved me for $2000 last month on the GM Buypower Card. I put one charge on it and will split that into 5 payments and sock drawer it.

"WORLD ELITE" LMAO

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I received a letter in the mail about a week after I received my card last month about that. After 5 payments they will do an auto CLI from $2000 to a whopping $2500!

What a joke. Cap1 gave me a Venture card with a starting limit of $15k in March which is now at $21,500 and 2% utilization and they only approved me for $2000 last month on the GM Buypower Card. I put one charge on it and will split that into 5 payments and sock drawer it.

"WORLD ELITE" LMAO

Well aren't you just lucky. After my credit steps, I went from $300 to a grand total of $500! I'm only keeping the card for the 0% APR for 12 months, which is up in a couple months! SD!

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just because one gets 15k on one card doesnt mean youll get that on another card . Plenty of people get a high limit on one card while other card is lower be it Cap One, Chase Amex. Each card is different as is your internal limit. Lots of factors play into ones cl.
Message 6 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Current status, before my May statement cuts.... I use this card for tolls, car insurance and XM radio subscription, it adds up....

GMCard.JPG

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe much different underwriting criteria on the GM Buypower than the Cap1 flagship cards. I figured i would app and get even a low SL, but they denied me on past BK.

They have sent me mailers in the past with suggesting to app, but they weren't prequal mailers. I was rather disappointed in this as i figured a low SL and the credit steps, but to no avail. It's a card i do see personal benefits in, so i will give it a few months and spin the wheel again.

Message 8 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I started at $5000 and currently have a $13500 limit.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been offered this card several times by mail and I shred it each time. Not worth the trouble only to get a crap limit and two-three black eyes to show for it.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.