Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap Card

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Gap Card

Can anyone tell me the deal with getting a Gap Card?  I'm under the impression that Gap will give you a Visa if you qualify, but otherwise they would simply give you their store card.

How do they know if you qualify for the Visa?  Does the application result in a hard pull if you are qualified for the VIsa, and then 2 hard pulls if you don't qualify for the Visa and get just the store card?

Anyone with any recent experience?

Thanks in advance.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: Gap Card

The Gap card is a wonderful card to have. When I first applied, I was given the store card only with a CL of $200. I almost told them not to open it. To answer your question, you get one HP once you apply. Based on their criteria you will first be considered for the Visa if you don't qualify then you will be considered for the store version all in one HP. If you don't qualify for the store card you will then be denied. 

If you shop there a lot I say go for it. Here are a few things to consider: you earn 5% back on purchases with all sorts of special promotions and deal at all of their brands. The store card is not that bad since you can shop at several different stores with that card. You also get 10% any purchases all day on Tuesdays either online or in store. You might get the store card and not the Visa, but the are great about upgrading quickly. I started with the store card and had a CL of $200 then in 4 months a SP CLI was done taking me to $650. Before the next 4 months came around I had an offer to upgrade to Visa and was give $2000. I was then auto increased to $4800 recently because I use the card a lot as a Visa because they always give bonus point offers for using outside of the brand. The store card also upgrades to Gap Silver if you spend $800 per year in their stores which comes with all kinds of perks. The Visa also does this.

In all a great card. If you are in the market for a Gap card go for it and don't sweat it if you don't get Visa right away. To get the Visa you will need a FICO somewhere in the upper 600s and low UTL, hardly any inquiries, and other credit cards with good CLs. The store card is much less of a challenge credit wise to obtain.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 2 of 7
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for the help.  I have scores somewhere in the low 700s, though I have never pulled my actual FICO scores because I'm in the garden until January.  But one of the cashiers at Gap asked me if I wanted to open a card yesterday, and I said I wasn't looking for any inquiries.  He then mentioned it was only a soft pull, which I thought seemed odd.  I was hoping to be more informed before actually applying.  It makes sense that he would exaggerate given that they probably get some bonus for getting someone to open a card.  Either that or he was misinformed.

If anyone else here has had experience with Gap where the app didn't result in a HP, I would love to hear about it.  However, I have always been under the impression that opening a credit account results in a hard pull, as it should. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

Thanks so much for the help.  I have scores somewhere in the low 700s, though I have never pulled my actual FICO scores because I'm in the garden until January.  But one of the cashiers at Gap asked me if I wanted to open a card yesterday, and I said I wasn't looking for any inquiries.  He then mentioned it was only a soft pull, which I thought seemed odd.  I was hoping to be more informed before actually applying.  It makes sense that he would exaggerate given that they probably get some bonus for getting someone to open a card.  Either that or he was misinformed.

If anyone else here has had experience with Gap where the app didn't result in a HP, I would love to hear about it.  However, I have always been under the impression that opening a credit account results in a hard pull, as it should. 

Checking your own scores through myfico (or other fako services like credit karma, credit sesame, quizzle) will never result in a HP on your reports. 

Also, the only reason I could see for not getting a HP on your reports when applying for any card would be if you are blacklisted. Many lenders will simply kick back your app with an instant denial if you are blacklisted without even pulling your credit, others will pull despite your blacklist status and still deny you. 

The cashier was just trying to get you to apply for the card because I think they might get a little bonus for every card they get someone to open. It is a GECRB card, and they pull mostly TU, very good with CLIs and you can usually upgrade too the major version if you're given the store card. 

Message 4 of 7
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

Checking your own scores through myfico (or other fako services like credit karma, credit sesame, quizzle) will never result in a HP on your reports. 

Also, the only reason I could see for not getting a HP on your reports when applying for any card would be if you are blacklisted. Many lenders will simply kick back your app with an instant denial if you are blacklisted without even pulling your credit, others will pull despite your blacklist status and still deny you. 

The cashier was just trying to get you to apply for the card because I think they might get a little bonus for every card they get someone to open. It is a GECRB card, and they pull mostly TU, very good with CLIs and you can usually upgrade too the major version if you're given the store card. 

My thought process didn't come through very well in that previous post.  My point was I have no need to know my scores, because I'm not applying for new credit.  The last time I received a score in June I stood at 700 EQ, and I expect I would be approved for the Gap Visa if I wanted it.  I think I will stay away though, unless someone is able to substantiate the bizarre claim from the Gap rep.  I have other goals in mind for January.

I agree jsucool, I think they get a bonus for an opened card which led them to lie about the type of credit pull.

Message 5 of 7
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

I have the Gap card and it was definately a hard pull.  So I think the Customer Service Rep was pulling your leg just trying to get his/her bonus for signing someone up for the credit card.  I'm about to hit my 4th statement in October so I truly hope to get a CLI.  I am at $200 which is hard to use at Gap, but I manage! LOL! I use the card alot and just pay if off quickly.  Hopefully I will get a CLI to have more wiggle room in using it.  RIght now they are my lowest CL.   ALso getting the Gap Visa in the future would be awesome too!

Slowly building....
Message 6 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

Can anyone tell me the deal with getting a Gap Card?  I'm under the impression that Gap will give you a Visa if you qualify, but otherwise they would simply give you their store card.

How do they know if you qualify for the Visa?  Does the application result in a hard pull if you are qualified for the VIsa, and then 2 hard pulls if you don't qualify for the Visa and get just the store card?

Anyone with any recent experience?

Thanks in advance.

If your score is 680 and up, have decent file with no baddies they'll approve for Visa. When you initially apply, they'll try to approve you for the Visa, if no dice they'll try to approve for store card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.