Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening now or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gardening now or not?

I got 7 cards ( 5 store cards and one amex from usaa and Credit One card) in December 2015 and I was wondering if I should garden for a year? I was planning on in May/June seeing if I could get a USAA Rewards card since I only have the classic and usaa told me to wait 6 months since December. I want as many VISA's and MC's and possibly amex's as possible. I want to stray away from store cards. So what should I do? 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gardening now or not?

From the updated scores on your sig I would garden for at least 6 months. Make sure to get your utilization as low as possible before applying for a new round of cards in the coming months. 

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes will do for sure, my rate of debt to credit ratio is only like 9.5-10 percent combined in all my cards, when should I apply for that upgraded USAA card? 6 months for that or if I do a round of cards?

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually not very familiar with USAA. So I'm not sure how their process works in terms of PCs. Maybe you can get away with no hard pull. If you are planning for a churn, I would plan and prioritize hard pulls based on what you absolutely want first. Use this site as a tool https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?app=creditpulls 

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got 7 cards ( 5 store cards and one amex from usaa and Credit One card) in December 2015 and I was wondering if I should garden for a year? I was planning on in May/June seeing if I could get a USAA Rewards card since I only have the classic and usaa told me to wait 6 months since December. I want as many VISA's and MC's and possibly amex's as possible. I want to stray away from store cards. So what should I do? 

Well I would say this and this is just my opinion those who know can chime in as well. Since you are with Amex that is a big plus...And USAA is for military if I am not mistaken from what I do hear it will grow on you. So use that often and PIF. I would get rid of FP and Credit One they are worthless a lot of bank don't like to see much of those on your file. Walmart and Amazon are great since they are backed by Sync will grow super faster. Depending on how long you have had them and used them I'd give Credit Solution a call in the backdoor number for Synchrony its a soft pull so don't be afraid to ask for a credit limit increase ask for 5k if they do not counter and approve for it call back later and ask for 10k worse they will say no and you will receieve a letter in the mail. Like I said with Synchrony your credit journey will begin once they start liking you because those big increases will help you sustain a better UTI and build your credit up faster. Garden for 6 Months no more apps and ask for Increases. As for Carecredit and Carecarone they are also back by Synchrony bank and also will grow fast BUT they do HP for each CLI so unless you really use it and need it then go for it. I hope my advice helps. Also as for store card don't bother at the moment once your TU goes up above 700 and you haven't apped and gardened then apply for EBates Visa by Synchrony the cash back is so worth it with that card depending on the stores what the current % cash it is on their site you get an additional 3% cash back by using the card so well worth it when you get that big fat check in the mail Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I would say this and this is just my opinion those who know can chime in as well. Since you are with Amex that is a big plus...And USAA is for military if I am not mistaken from what I do hear it will grow on you. So use that often and PIF. I would get rid of FP and Credit One they are worthless a lot of bank don't like to see much of those on your file. Walmart and Amazon are great since they are backed by Sync will grow super faster. Depending on how long you have had them and used them I'd give Credit Solution a call in the backdoor number for Synchrony its a soft pull so don't be afraid to ask for a credit limit increase ask for 5k if they do not counter and approve for it call back later and ask for 10k worse they will say no and you will receieve a letter in the mail. Like I said with Synchrony your credit journey will begin once they start liking you because those big increases will help you sustain a better UTI and build your credit up faster. Garden for 6 Months no more apps and ask for Increases. As for Carecredit and Carecarone they are also back by Synchrony bank and also will grow fast BUT they do HP for each CLI so unless you really use it and need it then go for it. I hope my advice helps. Also as for store card don't bother at the moment once your TU goes up above 700 and you haven't apped and gardened then apply for EBates Visa by Synchrony the cash back is so worth it with that card depending on the stores what the current % cash it is on their site you get an additional 3% cash back by using the card so well worth it when you get that big fat check in the mail Smiley Happy

I am a veteran and i have the classic which i was told that it does not increase i need to get another card, since classic amex/visa cant cash advance nor CLI. So that is why I was wondering. CareCredit is for my two dogs, one of them is getting trained for to be my fiancee's service dog ( she is a veteran also) both of us battle with PTSD, CarCareOne is for tires or whatever, since living in the country the roads are crappy. Credit One I just got a increase last night of 200 dollars and no fees attached to it. First Premier I am planning on closing once its first year is up. I just also got a car loan from Ally Auto, Financed at $27,130 after intreset I will be paying 34,870. 

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well then carecredit and carcareone call for CLI with your TU score I'm sure you will most likely get close to 5k. That is if you want to take on the extra Hard Pull. But I'm sure you use carecredit a lot so I'd go for that one first. Well if its the classic then wait after 6 months and try for Another amex card like BCE or AED. 

Message 7 of 29
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well then carecredit and carcareone call for CLI with your TU score I'm sure you will most likely get close to 5k. That is if you want to take on the extra Hard Pull. But I'm sure you use carecredit a lot so I'd go for that one first. Well if its the classic then wait after 6 months and try for Another amex card like BCE or AED. 

Keep in mind the OP's AMEX is not a true AMEX, his current scores are a bit low to be recommending cold apping AMEX it self.

Message 8 of 29
_NERD
Established Contributor

The correct answer is always: Garden

We're waiting for you in the Garden. Soda pop & brewskies on tap. If you don't drink soda or brew, we have a garden hose for you to drink water from.

Don't forget to plant your seed in your sig. See you soon.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@_NERD wrote:
The correct answer is always: Garden

We're waiting for you in the Garden. Soda pop & brewskies on tap. If you don't drink soda or brew, we have a garden hose for you to drink water from.

Don't forget to plant your seed in your sig. See you soon.

Might need to take out a personal loan to get a business started, so I dont know if Ill be in the garden as of yet

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.