Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting subs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting subs

Tragically? even though I've gotten many cards despite thin file, have only gotten sub once lol, for CFF, easy peasy and at least thanks for that(Cap 1 is worst, not giving sub for good version; I was in fact tricked in this regards apping from Nerdwallet), used it to book free round trip to Florida last winter. Disco CB, I don't particularly regard it as a sub, which typically requires certain spend in certain timeframe. And Citi DC has it NOW Smiley Mad not then Smiley Sad

I'm a meagre spender so generally sub chasing is a no-go for me lol, and it can be only justified for paying for upcoming trips; and in THAT regard as well, was bone-headed, just paying with existing cards lol(so methinks if you want to get sub for upcoming trips, gotta app like 6 months before those trips?! For example to get those miles deposited, which might take time), but maybe I was just too impatient and wanted to score cheaper fare, booking and prepaying early.

The reason I went for WF Bilt and Barclays Hawaiian was that either they had no sub OR it was so easy to achieve lol. And now, I have opportunity for 3 subs, an uncharted territory for me! Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

Citi MileUp 1k spend/3 months for 20k miles

PenFed PCR 1500 spend for 100 back

Banc of California EMP spend 500 for 150 back(stmt credit?)

I simply can't get all 3, I don't do manufactured spend and for example I've bought all I could till last winter, now I have 5 Kindles and 4 Kindle Fires Smiley LOL Literally gazillions of books(including Birding guides for all over the world from Princeton UP) and DVDs(all those Criterion Collections and not only from Amazon, also buying massively at Big Lots lol, at SD FINALLY got to use CFF for 5%? back on 3 DVDs Smiley LOL ). No mas! 

Thought even achieving sub for AA would be kinda tricky lol but I got EMP to consider too! So not even thinking of getting sub for PenFed Smiley Sad  Amex is tempting in this regard, extended period to 6 months and in fact Citi too(DC and CC, but not Rewards+, that's still 3 months).

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting subs

Well if you got the cash available and unless those cards forbid this I know that Amex does not like purchase of visa giftcards. Just look for fee free visa giftcards I usually follow doctor of credit for this info

also, don't you have bills like utilities(cell service, water, electricity) 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tragically? even though I've gotten many cards despite thin file, have only gotten sub once lol, for CFF, easy peasy and at least thanks for that(Cap 1 is worst, not giving sub for good version; I was in fact tricked in this regards apping from Nerdwallet), used it to book free round trip to Florida last winter. Disco CB, I don't particularly regard it as a sub, which typically requires certain spend in certain timeframe. And Citi DC has it NOW Smiley Mad not then Smiley Sad

I'm a meagre spender so generally sub chasing is a no-go for me lol, and it can be only justified for paying for upcoming trips; and in THAT regard as well, was bone-headed, just paying with existing cards lol(so methinks if you want to get sub for upcoming trips, gotta app like 6 months before those trips?! For example to get those miles deposited, which might take time), but maybe I was just too impatient and wanted to score cheaper fare, booking and prepaying early.

The reason I went for WF Bilt and Barclays Hawaiian was that either they had no sub OR it was so easy to achieve lol. And now, I have opportunity for 3 subs, an uncharted territory for me! Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

Citi MileUp 1k spend/3 months for 20k miles

PenFed PCR 1500 spend for 100 back

Banc of California EMP spend 500 for 150 back(stmt credit?)

I simply can't get all 3, I don't do manufactured spend and for example I've bought all I could till last winter, now I have 5 Kindles and 4 Kindle Fires Smiley LOL Literally gazillions of books(including Birding guides for all over the world from Princeton UP) and DVDs(not only from Amazon, also buying massively at Big Lots lol, at SD FINALLY got to use CFF for 5%? back on 3 DVDs Smiley LOL ). No mas! 

Thought even achieving sub for AA would be kinda tricky lol but I got EMP to consider too! So not even thinking of getting sub for PenFed Smiley Sad  Amex is tempting in this regard, extended period to 6 months and in fact Citi too(DC and CC, but not Rewards+, that's still 3 months).

To my mind, the anwer is simple. Don't apply for a new credit card until you have a big enough spend coming up.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

1. Stop applying for new cards for a bit.

2. Don't get a new card until you've finished minimum spend on the last one.

3. Maybe make some estimated tax payments or prepay some utilities or other expenses to meet minimum spend?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 6
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Honestly confused.

Am I correct that based from your post (and more so from the three replies)  that you're asking how to best meet the spending for a SUB?

Message 5 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Honestly confused.

Am I correct that based from your post (and more so from the three replies)  that you're asking how to best meet the spending for a SUB?

Or is it that and/or: which of these three cards should I bother chasing the SUB on.

That last seems pretty simple, the $150 for $500 spend is a great return and needs only a small spend.   Then look at the other ideas to spend the $500.  (A utility may, and a tax payment will, have an associated fee, but as a percentage of $500 it will be much less than $150!)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.