Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Denial Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Denial Letter

On August 17, I went onto the HSBC site and did a preapproval application. It stated that I was eligible for an HSBC Platinum card. Wanting to be careful, I took the time to read all of the fine print and found where it stated that the maximum number of HSBC accounts allowed were two. So I hit apply and was denied. Today, I received this letter (keep in mind that I only have an Orchard Gold card from HSBC and no other accounts with them):

Reference Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear sleigh17,

We are writing to you regarding your application for a HSBC card account issued by HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A.

Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application due to the following reason(s).

YOU ALREADY HAVE THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF ACCOUNTS ALLOWED WITH HSBC

If you have any questions, please contact one of our Lending Services Representatives at 1-800-660-1767 or visit us online at www.hsbccreditcard.com. Please note that you will need the above reference number when you call.

Sincerely,

HSBC
Lending Services Department

Of course, by the time I had a chance to call, they are closed until Monday morning. Any of you that have 2, 3, 4, or more of HSBC/Orchard cards have any suggestions on what to say to these people who so obviously have lied about their policy?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I don't care about the card as much as I do the INQ on my report and the outright lie that they are using for the reason of denial. 

Thanks,
Sam
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC Denial Letter

Where are all the HSBC/Orchard customers? Someone must have a word of advice on how to confront them on their double standard.  
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

sleigh17 wrote:
Where are all the HSBC/Orchard customers? Someone must have a word of advice on how to confront them on their double standard.  

I've got 2 Orchard accounts. No  real advice, but I'd ask them to clarify their policy. Ask for the REAL reason you were denied, cause the 'only one account' excuse is bogus.

good luck
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any of their retail services card like Best Buy? I dont know how but I now have 3 cards with them.  Must have slipped under the radar.  I have the Paltinum with 2% cash back, the Best Buy Store Card and MasterCard. Got the MasterCard by accident while app'ing for the store card which probably explains why they didn't notice.

Message Edited by Brammy on 08-25-2007 11:06 AM
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:
Do you have any of their retail services card like Best Buy? I dont know how but I now have 3 cards with them.  Must have slipped under the radar.  I have the Paltinum with 2% cash back, the Best Buy Store Card and MasterCard. Got the MasterCard by accident while app'ing for the store card which probably explains why they didn't notice.

Brammy-
Is this the same Platinum I just got? 0% Promo, 12.9% after, 2% cash back. Pretty nice deal from Orchard.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anderson wrote:

Brammy wrote:

Brammy-
Is this the same Platinum I just got? 0% Promo, 12.9% after, 2% cash back. Pretty nice deal from Orchard.

Mine is not Orchard but the terms are the same. Are they giving high limits with the Orchard card? The one I have is the highest limit I have yet.

Message Edited by Brammy on 08-25-2007 11:17 AM
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:

No, I only have the one Orchard card. Started with Silver card with $300 CL 18 mos ago and now moved up to Gold with $400.00 CL. Nothing else from them. Although they do keep trying to get me to take out a new car loan. I supposedly have been "prequalified" on three different occasions. Everytime I call them, before I hang up, the rep always says, "By the way, you qualify for our new or refinance auto loan. Would you like to set that up today?" Of course, I consistently say "No".   
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

sleigh17 wrote:

Brammy wrote:

No, I only have the one Orchard card. Started with Silver card with $300 CL 18 mos ago and now moved up to Gold with $400.00 CL. Nothing else from them. Although they do keep trying to get me to take out a new car loan. I supposedly have been "prequalified" on three different occasions. Everytime I call them, before I hang up, the rep always says, "By the way, you qualify for our new or refinance auto loan. Would you like to set that up today?" Of course, I consistently say "No".   

Looks like the may still be counting the silver against you. I'd call.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:

Looks like the may still be counting the silver against you. I'd call.

Thanks Brammy,

I will call on Monday. The denial letter  gave me a number to call, but when I tried it last night, they were closed until Monday. Probably a good thing. I was pretty hot at that moment. Talking it out and cooling down before I call may go a long way to getting at the bottom of this thing. Thanks again.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anderson wrote:

sleigh17 wrote:

I've got 2 Orchard accounts. No  real advice, but I'd ask them to clarify their policy. Ask for the REAL reason you were denied, cause the 'only one account' excuse is bogus.

good luck

Called HSBC this morning and was told that I can only have one account. Read to them the terms and conditions that I had on screen and that I have printed hard copy. Then was told that second card had to be preselected through mail.

Then asked for supervisor who told me that the type of card that the preapproval process says I am qualified for cannot be issued unless you receive a preselectd letter by mail with a number that has to be entered on the application. No such place to enter this number.

Then told her that I was going to pursue legal action for false and misleading banking practices. She gave me the address and phone number of the "President". I am waiting until 8:00AM to call and start round three. I will probably end up losing the card I now have, but I don't care. Their policy is misleading and they openly lie in writing right on their website. It's time someone started jousting with this windmill! LOL Wish me luck!

BTW, I asked that the INQ be removed from my CR and was told that this cannot be done since it is considered a real application. Told her I wouldn't have applied if the website wasn't misleading, so I would take this point up in court also.

Message Edited by sleigh17 on 08-27-2007 07:46 AM
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.