Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC MC denial with diff scoring

tag
youngmark5
Established Member

HSBC MC denial with diff scoring

Against my better judgment, I went ahead and applied online for the Acceptourcard MC issued by HSBC (soon to be Cap One). I got a "pre-selected" come-on from them in the mail.

I applied online. I was hit with a denial in a bout 20 seconds. They used TransUnion. Then, I noticed that there was a disclosure at the bottom of the denial. It said "see what other offers from HSBC you quailify for...". I didn't want to waste the inquiry, so I clicked on it. However, it had an electronic "time out" and the window closed.

The interesting part was the 100 to 600 score range on the denial notice. It read that I scored 413 out of a score range between 100 and 600.

Have any of you guys seen that before?

Experian (lender pull) 680

Eq FICO (also lender pull) 680

(both within the last 2-1/2 weeks)

have gone on a inquiry spree (3 in last 5months)

FYI - Things that are hurting my credit right now: no real estate loan(s), high utiliaztion (70%, but varies form 35-70%), some of my accounts are new. My oldest credit that is still on my report is 18-years old d shows paid as agreed, in full.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: HSBC MC denial with diff scoring

@youngmark5 wrote:

Against my better judgment, I went ahead and applied online for the Acceptourcard MC issued by HSBC (soon to be Cap One). I got a "pre-selected" come-on from them in the mail.

I applied online. I was hit with a denial in a bout 20 seconds. They used TransUnion. Then, I noticed that there was a disclosure at the bottom of the denial. It said "see what other offers from HSBC you quailify for...". I didn't want to waste the inquiry, so I clicked on it. However, it had an electronic "time out" and the window closed.

The interesting part was the 100 to 600 score range on the denial notice. It read that I scored 413 out of a score range between 100 and 600.

FYI - Things that are hurting my credit right now: no real estate loan(s), high utiliaztion (70%, but varies form 35-70%), some of my accounts are new. My oldest credit that is still on my report is 18-years old d shows paid as agreed, in full.

Thanks

The scoring range you seen from HSBC is not a FICO score. This is an "in-house" score from HSBC. High util. more than likely played a part in your denial of the card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 7
youngmark5
Established Member

@LS2982 wrote:

@youngmark5 wrote:

I applied online. I was hit with a denial in a bout 20 seconds. They used TransUnion. Then, I noticed that there was a disclosure at the bottom of the denial. It said "see what other offers from HSBC you qualify for...". I didn't want to waste the inquiry, so I clicked on it. However, it had an electronic "time out" and the window closed.

FYI - Things that are hurting my credit right now: no real estate loan(s), high utilization (70%, but varies form 35-70%), some of my accounts are new. My oldest credit that is still on my report is 18-years old d shows paid as agreed, in full.

Thanks

The scoring range you seen from HSBC is not a FICO score. This is an "in-house" score from HSBC. High util. more than likely played a part in your denial of the card.

Thanks. I knew it wasn't a FICO. I was just wondering if anyone had seen it before. i think you are right, I do have high utilization and I think that it played the largest role in the DENIAL. I only have (1) 30-day late on my report that is from when I traded in my truck and bought a new one about a year ago. The bank that carried the old loan reported it late even though they received the pay-off as requested by the requested date. They even told me that I did not need to make the scheduled payment because it would change the payoff and it was only a difference of a couple of days (from 30 days).

The scheduled payment was late, but it was only a few dollars because I overpaid each scheduled payment. I should have gone with my gut instinct. I was a little distracted at the time dealing with some difficult personal family issues.

I don't have a way to bring down my util % until next month. Do you think it is worth trying a recon?

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@youngmark5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@youngmark5 wrote:

I applied online. I was hit with a denial in a bout 20 seconds. They used TransUnion. Then, I noticed that there was a disclosure at the bottom of the denial. It said "see what other offers from HSBC you qualify for...". I didn't want to waste the inquiry, so I clicked on it. However, it had an electronic "time out" and the window closed.

FYI - Things that are hurting my credit right now: no real estate loan(s), high utilization (70%, but varies form 35-70%), some of my accounts are new. My oldest credit that is still on my report is 18-years old d shows paid as agreed, in full.

Thanks

Thanks. I knew it wasn't a FICO. I was just wondering if anyone had seen it before. i think you are right, I do have high utilization and I think that it played the largest role in the DENIAL. I only have (1) 30-day late on my report that is from when I traded in my truck and bought a new one about a year ago. The bank that carried the old loan reported it late even though they received the pay-off as requested by the requested date. They even told me that I did not need to make the scheduled payment because it would change the payoff and it was only a difference of a couple of days (from 30 days).

The scheduled payment was late, but it was only a few dollars because I overpaid each scheduled payment. I should have gone with my gut instinct. I was a little distracted at the time dealing with some difficult personal family issues.

I don't have a way to bring down my util % until next month. Do you think it is worth trying a recon?

Thanks

AFAIK HBBC does not d orecons, but YMMV. I haeven't seen any successful ones here that I can recall. But its worth a shot!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 7
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@youngmark5 wrote:

Thanks

I've gotten two "pre-selected" offers within a week of each other...one for a MasterCard and the other for a Visa. Applied for the MasterCard (which was issued by Household Bank) and was approved. I thought I'd maybe try my luck (bad idea in hindsight, really) and applied for the Visa offer which was issued by Orchard Bank. I figured I'd get declined since I had gotten approved for the other one (the general rule being you cannot have more than one HSBC Nevada account) and was expecting it to say just that.

I instead got that same scoring model being 390 out of 600. They pulled Equifax...I was a little confused but then realized it wasn't even a FICO score.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 7
ready13
New Contributor

Yes anything in the 400's is really not going to be able to do much but your other two scores are great out of the 5's!!Smiley Wink if you correct any info on the transition maybe it will raise it some because transunion is usually the credit bureau that's the most favorable when it comes to scoring and is usually the one they use to do the auto loans since it's relating to the zen and that's both karma as well as the vantage scoring for auto loans
Message 6 of 7
ready13
New Contributor

You cannot ever go by what they tell you when you know you owe money that has to be paid at the minimal at an every 30 day period and it is not ever going to be told to you that you will have that put on your record and are not trying to deal with you as a parent and/or friend you just have to know and figure and balance out your payments and do them at a consistent timely manner all the time and you will be fine that's all that you need to know. They won't threaten you just stick you on your credit report no nothing to tell you anymore. They are going above your head to begin with, they are not trying to bother by going out of their way to go and remind you of what you signed for yourself all the red tape and fine print was already done, and you agreed and that's all they really needed to know to make it a binding contract in writing with proof to back themselves up continuously. They have to look out for their best interest at all times are already giving you a chance to prove yourself and are already giving or loaning you the car basically what else could you want as a sign of good faith? I think it's best to pay or even things out with the companies first so you wipe your slate and don't have to worry about anyone or anything wanting any of your new credit to take a nose dive because of your past decisions which will always truly and progressively impact all and everything you do now and in the future good luck Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.