Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC question

I've read on this forum that once you are approved for 1 of HSBC cards you can not apply for their other products for a certain period of time... Is this true? what if I get HSBC Platinum and then apply for Bst Buy store card? will I get turned down for having an HSBC card already?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
VEEVEE
Regular Contributor

Re: HSBC question

I don't know the time frame for applying for another card, but you can have at least two cards with them.  I currently have HSBC Platinum Mastercard and I also have a Sears Soultion Mastercard and that is with HSBC as well. Their pretty stingy with CLI's though. I have had the HSBC Platinum for 3 years and only received a twenty dollar increase and I have had the Sears Solutions Mastercard for 2years and never received a CLI. I pay both cards on time,  and more often than not I pay in full. 
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody else knows?

Message 3 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've read on this forum that once you are approved for 1 of HSBC cards you can not apply for their other products for a certain period of time... Is this true? what if I get HSBC Platinum and then apply for Bst Buy store card? will I get turned down for having an HSBC card already?

NO! (This has been asked/answered many times.)

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

what if I get denied? can I apply for another HSBC product then?
Message 5 of 11
KG
Valued Member

I have four HSBC cards: 2 HSBC mastercards with small credit limits, 1 Priscilla's store card and 1 Best Buy card. If there's a limit, it's news to me. For the record, the 2 mastercards were applied for about 3 years apart (and I would like to combine them). I got the Priscilla's card in January '09 and just applied with Best Buy last week so those two were about 8 months apart in age.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I app'd for and received HSBC Orchard 12/08.  I then pre-approved (probably about 5/09) on the HSBC site for a platinum card, hit the button to apply, and received a message saying that my app was denied because I had recently opened an HSBC card, and that they like 18 months between new cards.

So evidently there's no limit on number of HSBC cards, but HSBC did publish a policy of 18 months between apps.  Based on previous post, maybe you'd have better luck apping for HSBC first, and then Best Buy 2nd - maybe that would get around the HSBC policy - store cards (even though serviced by HSBC) may not have the same policy.  I received my message apping for a straight-up HSBC card.  Hope that helps.

Good luck with your credit hunting!

Message Edited by beamMEup on 08-21-2009 07:40 AM
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much. Now I know
Message 8 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I do not believe the 18 month policy applies to the Best Buy store card.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I do not believe the 18 month policy applies to the Best Buy store card.

Yeah- I'm a thinkin' it may only apply to the HSBC card - therefore might be best to apply HSBC first - then HSBC store cards.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.