cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Amex Gold-Should I apply for Hilton or SPG or Hyatt Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have Amex Gold-Should I apply for Hilton or SPG or Hyatt Card?

I am invested in the Amex MR ecosystem, not Chase UR (yet). I am considering applying for a hotel card. Although overall value of the card and sub is always a consideration that’s really not what I’m asking about here. Basically, does it make more sense for me to focus on Hilton or Marriott/SPG since they are part of the MR ecosystem and I can stack benefits and rewards?  Or is it not totally a bonehead move to apply for Hyatt card?  Again, I prefer not to focus on value of the cards or numbers of properties, etc.  This is more of a “should I stay within MR partners when looking at cards or or is it ok to look at non-partners like Hyatt...maybe to give me more exposure and rewards/sub to properties outside of MR partners”.

Thanks. And of course happy to hear some editorializing about value of hotel cards and rewards programs in addition to my main question. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: Have Amex Gold-Should I apply for Hilton or SPG or Hyatt Card?

Depends on if you ever plan on transferring MR to the hotel program.  I am invested in the Honors program from Hilton but don't see any reason I would transfer MR into that, even at 1:2.  Much better value to me transferring to airlines, using that to fly places and paying for the hotel with the Hilton card.  SPG might be different, I have no idea how their program works.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Are there hotels you frequent, or plan to use regularly in the future? That is a first question. Each of the three hotel cards has good benefits with that chain, best used by staying at that chain.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Depends on if you ever plan on transferring MR to the hotel program.  I am invested in the Honors program from Hilton but don't see any reason I would transfer MR into that, even at 1:2.  Much better value to me transferring to airlines, using that to fly places and paying for the hotel with the Hilton card.  SPG might be different, I have no idea how their program works.

You can get good value out of MRs by transferring to a hotel program although YMMV. I was able to get 2c a point by transferring 30k MR to Hilton for a room that woulda cost me 600$ a night otherwise. 

I think the sweet spot for hotel redemptions are using MRs during peak times. With that being said, the Hilton probably pairs better with the Gold due to transfer ratio.

Message 4 of 5
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I have Hilton Aspire and SPG Luxury, with that being said they both have their own unique advantages, but it all depends on what you are after. I was fortunate enough to be Lifetime Platinum member with Marriott and Diamond with Hilton.

If u do not have ANY status and will not be able to hit any status with either hotels I would either recommend the Hilton Ascend for Gold status or the Aspire for the Diamond status. Marriott card will not give you the automatic Platinum status but will give you Gold with the SPG Luxury.

If your going to spend a $450 Annual Fee I go with the Hilton Aspire for the Diamond status ALL DAY LONG vs the SPG Luxury for Gold.
If you don’t want to spend the $450 go for the Ascend which will give you Hilton Gold status.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.