cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!! I just pre-qualified for Chase!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help!!! I just pre-qualified for Chase!!!!

@sjt wrote:

I think it depends if you were pre-qualed as a Chase customer or pre-qualed as a non customer.

So you're suggesting that if you're a current Chase customer, possibly 5/24 is less meaningful?

MyLoFICO, you were approved when you were at 27/24.  Where you an existing Chase customer at the time or was that your first app with them?  Were you pre-qualed for cards with them or did you app without pre-quals?

Message 31 of 50
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I think we've pretty much confirmed that with current customers who have offers in their online account, 5/24 seems to not be the case (I am an example). No idea on other scenarios, though.
Message 32 of 50
wilmer007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh shoot!  24 means months, right? All my cards I've received starting the spring of 2015 and it's more than 5.

that is why you get all the chase cards you want first and then once you have them you move onto the other cards and banks because Chase is only one that has the 5/24 rule. so don't apply for any cards until the last 5 cards you got hit 24 months. i'm already at 5/24 so i have to wait until May 2018 to get Chase Freedom, CSP, and CFU (my current CFU was PC from slate).

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 33 of 50
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@wilmer007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh shoot!  24 means months, right? All my cards I've received starting the spring of 2015 and it's more than 5.

that is why you get all the chase cards you want first and then once you have them you move onto the other cards and banks because Chase is only one that has the 5/24 rule. so don't apply for any cards until the last 5 cards you got hit 24 months. i'm already at 5/24 so i have to wait until May 2018 to get Chase Freedom, CSP, and CFU (my current CFU was PC from slate).

5/18 is a long wait, if you want another chase and you have 6 cuts on your last chase card you might try a branch for an offer.  not 100% but right up there.  I was 5/24 when I got my csr and there is a 50K csp offer showing for me now at a branch, just waiting for a 70k offer and for my scores to swing up a bit.  I see that you put some points to your csr as well, pretty much my idea for the csp app

Message 34 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wilmer007 wrote:

that is why you get all the chase cards you want first and then once you have them you move onto the other cards and banks because Chase is only one that has the 5/24 rule.

Or, you just apply for 1 Chase card relatively early on and treat it well.  Then that already established positive relationship seemingly makes the 5/24 "rule" moot and one can apply for another Chase card or cards and be approved regardless of being > 5/24.

Message 35 of 50
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

It's my understanding that

(a) Chase prequalss are solid

(b) the 5/24 rule is inapplicable to prequals

(c) the Sapphire is just good if you use the travel rewards

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 36 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm most of the data points relating to 5/24. I threw a hail mary online app at the CSR in December and was denied for 5/24. Asked in branch (on a trip to NYC, no Chase branches here) for prequals and was approved with the 100k offer in January. 

Message 37 of 50
elim
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok now that I think about it I could come up with $4000 and if I don't no harm done?

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

hum easy does it and back away from the return key...this looks like an offer from a chase portal, is it?  if yes forget it.  go to their site for a pre-qual

The offer came from here: https://www.chase.com/prequalified

well great then, how much more spend do you have to go on the prg?

If don't spend $4000 no harm done?  I haven't started with the prg cause the card just arrived.

You have yet to start on the spend for a PRG? No, don't get any of the Chase cards. AMEX bonus spend is hard enough to get through. Don't add the multiple card burden.

And yes, there is harm done if you don't get a bonus. It means a wasted app cycle, in the case of AMEX, for the once per lifetime cycle, for the Chase, once per few years at least. 

Congrats on the prequal, but it will be there later, and more likely to get it if you are well under 5/24.

+1   Lately... When I have a large spend or purchase, I grab a bonus. No need to get in trouble apping early. The cards will be there when you are ready.

and congrats on the Slate!    :]

Message 38 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1   Lately... When I have a large spend or purchase, I grab a bonus. No need to get in trouble apping early. The cards will be there when you are ready.

and congrats on the Slate!    :]

Thanks elim!

Message 39 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

(b) the 5/24 rule is inapplicable to prequals

Question about Chase pre-quals.  When your pre-quals come up, does anyone ever see more than 3 offers?  Any time I've ever checked I either got 0 offers (back when you profile was weaker) or 3 offers.  Never 1 or 2.  Never 4+.  Anyone else see the same thing here?

That said, my pre-qualified offers from Chase are always Freedom, Slate and Sapphire Preferred.  One of their other cards, the Freedom Unlimited for example, is never in my pre-qual list.  Now, if I'm > 5/24 and receiving these 3 pre-qual offers, I can be fairly confident in approval for these 3 products despite being > 5/24.  However, what if I were to apply for the FU card that's not in my pre-qualified offers?  I'm wondering if since it's not in my list that I'd be denied, OR is it simply that the list can only show 3 products and that's the only reason why I'm not seeing the FU, so I would potentially be approved?  Hopefully this makes sense.

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.