Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Reducing Number Of Credit Cards

tag
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Help Reducing Number Of Credit Cards

@Remedios wrote:

You can safely close them, your utilization will not be affected. 

I am a little bit conflicted on closing Walmart card because of transition to Cap One. I would wait and see what happens with that, especially if your scores are rising and you're using the card. If not, close away. 

I dont think there is any harm in waiting on closing that one, there are no fees associated with it 

Congrats on your rebuilding progress so far

Hows your comment differs from what I said?

(Mod cut - reminder keep comments FSR - no exceptions) 

Message 11 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I am a little bit conflicted on closing Walmart card because of transition to Cap One. I would wait and see what happens with that, especially if your scores are rising and you're using the card. If not, close away. 

I dont think there is any harm in waiting on closing that one, there are no fees associated with it 

I believe @Remedios response to the OP was referring to "The Credit One Card, Reflex Card and Milestone Card all have monthly membership fee's that I really dont like paying...".

Message 12 of 16
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I believe @Remedios response to the OP was referring to "The Credit One Card, Reflex Card and Milestone Card all have monthly membership fee's that I really dont like paying...".

and others have also said "close them all. Close ANY cards you don’t want or use. "

SO why my similar respond is an issue in here? That need to be called out?!

Message 13 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

and others have also said "close them all. Close ANY cards you don’t want or use. "

SO why my similar respond is an issue in here? That need to be called out?!

It appears there's a bit of confusion here.  If you read closely, message #2 from @pinkandgrey, the comment states an action (past tense) with her profile.  Perhaps the part where it gets confusing is the bolded part in blue "close" which likely meant "closed".   She can clarify if need be.  The next sentence in her comments clearly displays "ANY" which doesn't overtly state "all".  She also provided some rationale for what and why she did it.  Her opinion, of course.

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I recently had the same “issue” lol. Here’s what I did: close them all. Close ANY cards you don’t want or use. AAoA won’t be affected until it doesn’t even matter anymore lol. As long as your utilization won’t climb up too high by closing them, don’t worry about it whatsoever. There will always be people that say to keep your oldest account, or to keep any that don’t have AFs, but I. LIKE. SIMPLE. If it’s not doing me any favors, I close it. I care way more about my own peace of mind than a number/score. 

Good luck! 

And, in reviewing the entire thread, no other posters have overtly stated to close all of the accounts.  Most of them appear to reference those accounts that have monthly fees and/or annual fees.

Hopefully, the above provides more clarity.

Message 14 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If it charges high fees and doesn't offer worthwhile rewards, get rid of it.

I've personally been a fan of small changes, so I'd wait a few months after closing the high-fee cards before deciding whether to close the no-fee semi-useful cards.

I agree with LTL that continual growth is not always necessary with CLs. I love big CLs, but only on cards where I might actually use them (CSR yes, Freedom no).
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@FinStar Sorry, I’m not sure what I did lol. Did something I said cause confusion? 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.