Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Gameplan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help With Gameplan

Since my bankruptcy in September 2014 I have been approved for two Cap1 QS1 and have since received cli (requested and credit steps) on both.  Within six months of getting those cards I have been approved for a Kohl's card, Amazon and Barclay Rewards.  

My intention was to garden for six months at which point I have no idea what I was wanting to apply for other than Walmart (mainly for the free FICO).  I know that with a recent bk, my options are limited.  The other day I was pre approved for a Cap1 Venture and Quicksilver Visa.  I decided to go ahead and app for the Venture next month once my spending goes up for the summer (school clothes, etc.) so I can make sure I reach the $3,000 spend to get the bonus miles.  

Unless I'm missing something, I guess I'll be retiring to the garden until my bk and accounts age to where I can qualify for prime cards.  Is there anything else I can add to my plan?  What about another Barclay card?  How long would I have to wait to even consider a sallie mae or should I app for a Apple Visa in the mean time?  Or should I just sit tight?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Help With Gameplan

@Anonymous wrote:

Since my bankruptcy in September 2014 I have been approved for two Cap1 QS1 and have since received cli (requested and credit steps) on both.  Within six months of getting those cards I have been approved for a Kohl's card, Amazon and Barclay Rewards.  

My intention was to garden for six months at which point I have no idea what I was wanting to apply for other than Walmart (mainly for the free FICO).  I know that with a recent bk, my options are limited.  The other day I was pre approved for a Cap1 Venture and Quicksilver Visa.  I decided to go ahead and app for the Venture next month once my spending goes up for the summer (school clothes, etc.) so I can make sure I reach the $3,000 spend to get the bonus miles.  

Unless I'm missing something, I guess I'll be retiring to the garden until my bk and accounts age to where I can qualify for prime cards.  Is there anything else I can add to my plan?  What about another Barclay card?  How long would I have to wait to even consider a sallie mae or should I app for a Apple Visa in the mean time?  Or should I just sit tight?

Well, I think you have more than enough to rebuild with for now. If you WANT more cards, you can get them but I would give at least 6 months (the longer the better) before applying for Sallie Mae and showing some responsible usage with Rewards. Barclays is more conservative and may want to see you use Rewards well before issuing you another card. 

At this point, I would look into what cards you want to work towards (your long term goals) and what you need to do to get those cards (gardening is probably going to be the path). 

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help With Gameplan

My first thought was six months for Sallie Mae, but I think I'm going to go a full year.  That is the card I WANT... In addition to Discover.  I know I won't be able to get in with Chase (burned them big), Citibank or Amex for a long long time.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.