Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me find a Mastercard

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Help me find a Mastercard

I currently have a Citi Dividend World Mastercard filling my MC slot, but after calling Citi and getting someone in another country on a very fuzzy line, I'm thinking about switching to someone who would give me a little better customer service and closing the Citi account.  Any recommendations?  The card is essentially a backup to my Amex and won't get much use other than places that don't accept Amex. 

FICO scores are in my sig, but should be going up drastically soon as I drop my utilization from 35% down to the 1-9% range.  No baddies or anything and an AAoA of 2+ years.  Have 2 hard pulls on TU, 0 on Experian, and 6 on Equifax (4 in the last year).  The Chase Sapphire caught my eye, but I need something that will report my CL for utilization purposes since my only other credit card will be my Forward (keeping for 5x back at restaurants and Amazon despite CS).

Thanks everyone!

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me find a Mastercard

Have you looked at the Chase Freedom Mastercard? To get the Mastercard version, go through the mastercard site and find the freedom.

Message 2 of 16
ajh5408
Contributor

In addition to the Freedom, Chase also offers the Sapphire in a Mastercard flavor. A brief search didn't turn up any applications, but you could always call and inquire about it... Mastercard's website does list an application for the Preferred version of the card, though it has an annual fee. Both, however, provide excellent customer service.

Also, Sapphire does report your CL and appropriate utilization to the bureaus.

Message 3 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you looked at the Chase Freedom Mastercard? To get the Mastercard version, go through the mastercard site and find the freedom.

I agree, I have the MC version myself.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Barclaycard Ring MasterCard
Message 5 of 16
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I have looked at the Freedom, but like the benefits of the Sapphire over the rewards structure of the Freedom.  So if the Mastercard, non-preferred version reports a credit limit, I think that's the one I'll be going after.

So for the regular Sapphire, are my current scores high enough to go ahead and apply, or do I need to wait a month or two to get my utilization down?  And how hard will I be knocked for opening a new account and closing my current one (open since 11/11).  Right now my Amex will not show up as my first statement hasn't cut, and I have 2 Citi cards, with $4k and $4.2k limits. If income plays a factor for this card, I make $55/year.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I have looked at the Freedom, but like the benefits of the Sapphire over the rewards structure of the Freedom.  So if the Mastercard, non-preferred version reports a credit limit, I think that's the one I'll be going after.

So for the regular Sapphire, are my current scores high enough to go ahead and apply, or do I need to wait a month or two to get my utilization down?  And how hard will I be knocked for opening a new account and closing my current one (open since 11/11).  Right now my Amex will not show up as my first statement hasn't cut, and I have 2 Citi cards, with $4k and $4.2k limits. If income plays a factor for this card, I make $55/year.

I didn't recommend the Sapphire bc you mentioned you use your Forward card at 5% CB at restaurants, then the Sapphire will only give you 1pt per dollar on all other stuff. But, the Sapphire has a better CS experience than the Freedom from a few posts I have read in the past. The good thing about Sapphire is the minimum CL they will give out is at least 5k so it should sit above all your other cards CL-wise. Like I said, just make sure you apply though the mastercard site, otherwise it will probably default to visa and you will have to change it to mastercard later.

Message 7 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My mom has the freedom mastercard
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for your scores and comparing them to whogavemecredit, it seems you are in the approval area. The only thing, is that Chase seems to like to "match" CL's. Since none of your current CL's are above 5k (yes they are close) that is the only thing I could see maybe being an issue. You might want to get your utilization down a bit.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

I can understand that, while rewards are important, so is customer service.  It wouldn't hurt to wait until your utilization comes down, but depending on your overall credit report it might not matter that much.  Chase does like to see experience with higher limits, but it's not a deal breaker in-and-of-itself and $4K and $4.2K are pretty close to $5K.  Your income is also certainly sufficient.  I think you stand a good chance of approval.  Do make sure that if you want the MasterCard version that you apply through the MasterCard website, as they seem to default to Visa.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.