cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed for BCP / AMEX app(UPDATE WITH RESULTS )

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Help needed for BCP / AMEX app(UPDATE WITH RESULTS )

Hi guys, I just started building my credit, just got approved for Chase Freedom $600 and Discover It $500 dollars with thin files just before Thanksgiving. My goal for 2014 is to join the AMEX club, is it possible to achieve that?

Currently I am a engineering grad student and will graduate May 2014.

After lurking around a few weeks, I know the AMEX is not in favour of students,

but I really want to join the AMEX club next year, May I have some advice about that? 

I also need to improve my single card CL to 2000 dollars at least,  and I do shop a lot of groceries around 400-500 dollars per month just for myself. So my wish card would be a BCP, if BCP will be hard to get for me, any other alternatives?

Thanks guys!

Smiley Happy

UPDATE: ON Dec 20, 2013, just after my Chase freedom with 1 dollar balance reported to EX, DIscover still not reported as new TL to EX, I applied for AMEX GREEN and BCP,

both instantly approved and BCP with 2000 CL(AND REALLY ONLY 1 HP FOR 2 cards! Thank you guys!), only 25 days since I got my first two credit cards here in US~ now I am with the AMEX! THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Advice needed for Fast CLI or BCP

You could try applying for a charge card now, and then try your luck again for the BCP in the coming year. Once you are an Amex member, its sp if declined, hp if approved for future Amex apps. Your member since date will also reflect 2013 for future cards. Most importantly, it's also a good way to get your foot into the door.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 24
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
You could try applying for a charge card now, and then try your luck again for the BCP in the coming year. Once you are an Amex member, its sp if declined, hp if approved for future Amex apps. Your member since date will also reflect 2013 for future cards. Most importantly, it's also a good way to get your foot into the door.

+1...charge card would be the way to go first IMHO

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 24
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

I forgot to mention, I perhaps accidently had about 5-6 HP since my first try to apply for CC on April or May this year,and very recently I think there may be 4, I heard AMEX is quite INQ senstive, And I just try to pull my EX report, but even the FICO can not generate a score yet, do I stand a chance to AMEX? If I don't have a score now, Were my previous HP filed? 

Message 4 of 24
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: Help needed for BCP / AMEX app

For what it's worth, I'm a graduate student, and I have an Amex BCE. But I also got my first credit card in high school, and was just approved for my BCE in June. Would you believe that I applied to Amex thinking that I could get it as my first card back in 2008? You live and learn.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 5 of 24
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

inqs only count on FICO for the first 12 months...i would sit on the cards you have now and develop a good history with each...then maybe mid to fall next year try for amex charge card...it's a great way to get yourself in the door w amex

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 24
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

But before thanksgiving I applied for Cap 1, Chase Freedom, DIscover It, and got denied for Cap, approval for other two, And a few days ago I accidently fall in the trap of Paypal Bill Me later and Perhaps generate a HP, should I give amex green a try now?

Message 7 of 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 24
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@DavidZeng wrote:

But before thanksgiving I applied for Cap 1, Chase Freedom, DIscover It, and got denied for Cap, approval for other two, And a few days ago I accidently fall in the trap of Paypal Bill Me later and Perhaps generate a HP, should I give amex green a try now?

you can try...it is your HP Smiley Happy personally i would develop history first...amex likes to see history

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 9 of 24
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Acutally I can not tell from the reports, since all three agencies can not even generate a score now, but according to my count, it is probabily 2 inqs on April 2013, 2inqs Sep 2013, 3 before thanks giving. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.