Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with BofA issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with BofA issue

I have a BofA card that just unsecured and I've been told by BofA that I can not remove the annual fee and if I wanted a non annual fee card I would have to apply for a new one. The annual fee comes around in Jan.

The whole reason I got in with BofA was for the BBR card so its not the end of the world to apply for a BBR in Jan, but I want to know If I can transfer the Credit line from my current card ($1800) to my hopefully new BBR.

If I can't transfer it I'm going to call one more time and say if you cant remove the annual fee close it. then in jan-Feb I'll apply for the BBR.

I have 700TU FICO 8 and I also have a checking account with BofA that has direct deposit which is why the BBR would be nice for the 30 dollars per quarter. Never had any bad history with BofA either.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Help with BofA issue

Yes you can get your annual fee removed. Many of us here have. Call a senior analyst at 866-618-4585. You can also combine limits with the BBR you plan to app.

Message 2 of 13
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I don't have any personal experience with the annual fee, but I have moved limits around with BOA. I transferred my limit from Fidelity to BBR last year and closed out the Fidelity. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 3 of 13
bk510
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Yes you can get your annual fee removed. Many of us here have. Call a senior analyst at 866-618-4585. You can also combine limits with the BBR you plan to app.

I understand its the luck of the draw as far as talking to a right analyst......But so far the only thing I'm gettin' out of these folks is " your fee is tied with the account ", so basically app for unsecured card. Mine is due next July......So we'll see. Might just close it. It'll be almost 3yrs by then.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 4 of 13
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I started out with a secured card from BofA too (but I had cash rewards, not BBR). Somwhere after one year they automatically sent me a letter saying they were removing my annual fee permanently. Now I am not a big spender, I probably put $50-100 on that card each month so my spending habits didn't trigger the letter. YMMV but give it a month or 2 and then call

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 5 of 13
bk510
Valued Contributor

@wmweeza wrote:

I started out with a secured card from BofA too (but I had cash rewards, not BBR). Somwhere after one year they automatically sent me a letter saying they were removing my annual fee permanently. Now I am not a big spender, I probably put $50-100 on that card each month so my spending habits didn't trigger the letter. YMMV but give it a month or 2 and then call

I did get a letter as well, except without the mention of removing AF. Exactly after 12 months, it became unsecure but still paying AF.

Had the account since mid-2014. Current limit 1.8K.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 6 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a BofA card that just unsecured and I've been told by BofA that I can not remove the annual fee and if I wanted a non annual fee card I would have to apply for a new one. The annual fee comes around in Jan.

The whole reason I got in with BofA was for the BBR card so its not the end of the world to apply for a BBR in Jan, but I want to know If I can transfer the Credit line from my current card ($1800) to my hopefully new BBR.

If I can't transfer it I'm going to call one more time and say if you cant remove the annual fee close it. then in jan-Feb I'll apply for the BBR.

I have 700TU FICO 8 and I also have a checking account with BofA that has direct deposit which is why the BBR would be nice for the 30 dollars per quarter. Never had any bad history with BofA either.

OP, how much is the annual fee?

In rebuilding, sometimes you have to pay for credit access.

I would not close out the card right away, but rather go ahead and pay the annual fee, keep the account active, then app the BBR when you are ready in early 2017 to transition your BofA relationship to that card.

Then later in 2017, if they still won't waive the fee (it is possible their view might change after you get another card) close the card before the AF comes around again.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

+1 This. My first card after the Chapter 13 was a secured one. In less than a year Bank of America unsecured it and removed the fee. I later closed it when I opened another account and combined the credit lines. I agree with baller to call and speak to a senior analyst. Good luck to you.

Message 8 of 13
happypill
Valued Contributor

It may be worth calling in to try to get a different analyst (or even try a different number to get to a different department).

My BBR card started as secured.  I actually had to recon to get it approved, even though it was 100% secured.  I was able to get it unsecured after about 10 months and they did in fact remove the AF at that time.  About 4-5 months later I called to see if it could be converted to a BBR and was successful.

One interesting factor is that I was never able to the 3-2-1 rewards added to my card before it was converted to BBR.  I think many people here at myFICO were able to get the 3-2-1 rewards added, even while their card was still secured, but I was told that it isn't available to me.  When my card was unsecured I asked again and was again told no.  Ultimately, I got the BBR which was my target so everything worked out fine.

So, bottom line is that it is possible to get the AF removed and it is possible to get a card that started as secured converted to a BBR.  It's also possible to get 3-2-1 rewards added, but that wasn't available to me.  The question we can't answer is if it's tied to a particular card, or if it's based on your profile the time that you ask, or if it's just finding an analyst willing to push a few extra buttons.

Message 9 of 13
bk510
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

It may be worth calling in to try to get a different analyst (or even try a different number to get to a different department).

My BBR card started as secured.  I actually had to recon to get it approved, even though it was 100% secured.  I was able to get it unsecured after about 10 months and they did in fact remove the AF at that time.  About 4-5 months later I called to see if it could be converted to a BBR and was successful.

One interesting factor is that I was never able to the 3-2-1 rewards added to my card before it was converted to BBR.  I think many people here at myFICO were able to get the 3-2-1 rewards added, even while their card was still secured, but I was told that it isn't available to me.  When my card was unsecured I asked again and was again told no.  Ultimately, I got the BBR which was my target so everything worked out fine.

So, bottom line is that it is possible to get the AF removed and it is possible to get a card that started as secured converted to a BBR.  It's also possible to get 3-2-1 rewards added, but that wasn't available to me.  The question we can't answer is if it's tied to a particular card, or if it's based on your profile the time that you ask, or if it's just finding an analyst willing to push a few extra buttons.

My gut tells me this is what I believe in.......Well I got til next July to get it done, if not its adios.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.