Did you mean: 

Help with C$R Decision

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with C$R Decision

@Aim_High wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

... I think we are going to be in for more than one bad year.  I'm planning to avoid cabs, rideshares, restaurants, airplanes, hotels, and overseas destinations until an effective vaccine has been developed and I have received it. 

Wow, that seems pretty extreme to me unless perhaps I were in a high-risk group, but we all have to do what we think is best for our situation.  I have believed that the majority of the public plans to be cautious to some degree, but I think we'll see a slow rebound particularly in domestic activities and travel.  And I agree that international travel may be a tougher nut to crack. 

I've continued to use my CSR even at home for carry-out food and have put a few hundred dollars a month on it.  Plus it magnifies my UR value on my INK Cash (5% > 7.5% on cellphone and home cable/internet monthly) and Freedom rotating categories (5% > 7.5%).   I'm still accumulating points for an eventual rebound.  But also, my work is "essential" so I have continued to travel and stay in hotels during the pandemic and dine away from home more often than I would if I were quarantined.   And I'm not averse to some limited personal travel or staying in hotels before the end of the year, unless the situation becomes much more grave and restrictions are not lifted.  It just probably won't be to anywhere experiencing a "hot spot" of coronavirus flareups.

I'm not sure if they will extend it but my CSR annual fee is due in May and Chase emailed me a few weeks ago to say they will be crediting my account $100 due to the recent fee increase and the coronavirus.  I believe they are doing it for all fees due in next couple of months.   That helped to keep me from cancellation thoughts, since I was already not happy with the new benefits versus the AF increase. 

Fortunately for the economy, I think your plans are by-far the most conservative return-to-normal scenario and I don't think the overall downturn will last until a vaccine has been widely dispersed.  If that were the case with everyone, this pandemic could lead to the worst economic disaster ever.    Does anyone else have thoughts on how long they will sit out all travel, restaurants, and hotels? 

Interesting info. Curious to see whether Chase would give the $100 credit to everyone who has had a $450 AF previously. This AF increase copied from AMEX is such a flop in that it has not only tipped the balance (of value & cost) for many but also happened at the worst time possible for a travel CC.

I'm closing the CSR regardless though despite having more than 180k pts on it. I already have other cards for priority pass, and don't care about the lyft/dd "benefits". As someone who signed up the first week CSR was released,  I should also be eligible for another SUB when I start to travel more in the future. Have some Citi points to burn (they expireSmiley Sad) in the mean time.

Message 21 of 23
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

... I think we are going to be in for more than one bad year.  I'm planning to avoid cabs, rideshares, restaurants, airplanes, hotels, and overseas destinations until an effective vaccine has been developed and I have received it. 

Wow, that seems pretty extreme to me unless perhaps I were in a high-risk group, but we all have to do what we think is best for our situation.  I have believed that the majority of the public plans to be cautious to some degree, but I think we'll see a slow rebound particularly in domestic activities and travel.  And I agree that international travel may be a tougher nut to crack. 

I've continued to use my CSR even at home for carry-out food and have put a few hundred dollars a month on it.  Plus it magnifies my UR value on my INK Cash (5% > 7.5% on cellphone and home cable/internet monthly) and Freedom rotating categories (5% > 7.5%).   I'm still accumulating points for an eventual rebound.  But also, my work is "essential" so I have continued to travel and stay in hotels during the pandemic and dine away from home more often than I would if I were quarantined.   And I'm not averse to some limited personal travel or staying in hotels before the end of the year, unless the situation becomes much more grave and restrictions are not lifted.  It just probably won't be to anywhere experiencing a "hot spot" of coronavirus flareups.

I'm not sure if they will extend it but my CSR annual fee is due in May and Chase emailed me a few weeks ago to say they will be crediting my account $100 due to the recent fee increase and the coronavirus.  I believe they are doing it for all fees due in next couple of months.   That helped to keep me from cancellation thoughts, since I was already not happy with the new benefits versus the AF increase. 

Fortunately for the economy, I think your plans are by-far the most conservative return-to-normal scenario and I don't think the overall downturn will last until a vaccine has been widely dispersed.  If that were the case with everyone, this pandemic could lead to the worst economic disaster ever.    Does anyone else have thoughts on how long they will sit out all travel, restaurants, and hotels? 

Interesting info. Curious to see whether Chase would give the $100 credit to everyone who has had a $450 AF previously. This AF increase copied from AMEX is such a flop in that it has not only tipped the balance (of value & cost) for many but also happened at the worst time possible for a travel CC.

I'm closing the CSR regardless though despite having more than 180k pts on it. I already have other cards for priority pass, and don't care about the lyft/dd "benefits". As someone who signed up the first week CSR was released,  I should also be eligible for another SUB when I start to travel more in the future. Have some Citi points to burn (they expireSmiley Sad) in the mean time.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing with your points?

[2/2019]
Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbkiang wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing with your points?

Move all to freedom card and till I get CSR later down the road (not sure would that be 2021 or 2022 though).

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.