Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with building credit for 18 year old

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Help with building credit for 18 year old

I'm trying to help an 18 year old relative of mine establish credit. Aside from opening checking/savings accounts and making him an authorized user on an credit card account or two, what else can I do?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with building credit for 18 year old

Just make sure to pick the right cards.

Your advice is even more important.  Is he/she going to college and working at all?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 25
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

What do you mean by right cards? All my cards are prime and I have a few retail cards. Yes, financial literacy is surely apart of the plan, thanks!

Message 3 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I believe Crashem thought he/she was applying for cards. So, 'pick' the right cards. If you are adding him as an AU only that would be a non-issue.

To help him/her build credit if you have an Amex-start there IMO. Can't go wrong with backdating, monitoring of CL's etc.
Message 4 of 25
blondy250
Established Contributor

At that age making him an AU on Amex card, would be the best thing you could do for him. Plus explaining/teaching him about financial reposibility and to live within your means would be great.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 5 of 25
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 25
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

She will begin college early next year. She does have  apart-time job but of course it's paltry pay.

Message 7 of 25
kstmommy
New Contributor

I'm helping my 19 yr old daughter start too. If he/she is working, have them try to get a secured card to start off. Mine got Cap 1, $49 deposit $200 limit. What I do is log in to the account and check due dates, making sure she's paying on time, etc. Her 3rd statement just cut and after 6 mos of history, she'll get a FICO. She recently got approved for NFCU unsecured $500 Visa, but I'm not letting her touch it for now. She also apped (without talking to me) for Kays, she got $400, but she's only to use $40 of it at a time, if at all. Once she shows responsibility with this, I'll help her grow. Once she gets to the point where she can get big girl cards, we'll prob close the secured, or try and pc to unsecured.

Message 8 of 25
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

The only real way for her to learn is for her to take charge of her accounts. 

Message 9 of 25
kstmommy
New Contributor

I agree Omni, in part. As an adult with credit difficulties now because of not learning right when I was her age, I'd much rather her learn with me in partial control. I think at 18, you still don't have the mentality that you do at 21 or 25. I'm going to be on her every credit move until I feel like she's good to go on her own. She's still learning and agreeable, so I think it's the best move a parent can make. This way, if she does make mistakes, I can help her learn from them quickly, as opposed to her not knowing what she did wrong and suffering for it later.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.