Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping out a co worker

tag
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Helping out a co worker

I’ve got a coworker that has never had a credit card only auto loans, he’s got a repo that’s approximately 6 years old. I’m not sure what his best route to obtaining a card would be so I’m turning to you all in hopes of better help. I’m thinking discover might be a good idea since they tend to prefer thin profiles. He currently has 2 auto loans he’s paying on I assume with no issues. Any help is appreciated!

He doesn’t know his FICO’s either AFAIK

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Helping out a co worker

Have him pull his FICOs from Experian for a $1. Hard to give recommendations without knowing scores.
Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Just to be clear, your friend has nothing on his report other than the repo and the two open auto loans? How old are the open loans?

I think the main thing is that your friend should be able to start with an unsecured card. I think Discover would be a good choice.

Message 3 of 8
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

That’s all he’s had AFAIK he said he’s never wanted to get a credit card

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Have him pull his FICOs from Experian for a $1. Hard to give recommendations without knowing scores.

THIS!!!

Message 5 of 8
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Pending more information, I think Discover is likely to be the best next step. Check prequalification and get unsecured if possible, else secured.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@addicted_to_credit wrote:
I’ve got a coworker that has never had a credit card only auto loans, he’s got a repo that’s approximately 6 years old. I’m not sure what his best route to obtaining a card would be so I’m turning to you all in hopes of better help. I’m thinking discover might be a good idea since they tend to prefer thin profiles. He currently has 2 auto loans he’s paying on I assume with no issues. Any help is appreciated!

He doesn’t know his FICO’s either AFAIK
If your looking to just build up his credit score I got to ask who the guy banks with?  If it's a local credit union chances are good they will give him a credit card if he applies for one and that way he can avoid the unsecured card route and worrying about if he will get approved for the unsecured card or not.  
Message 7 of 8
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I would actually rather have a secured Discover than about half of all unsecured cards. And they unsecure after as little as seven months anyway. My credit union offers three unsecured cards (1: - 3/2/1 signature Visa rewards; 2: - 1% rewards; 3: - low interest rate, no rewards) and I would pick Discover secured over two of them without hesitation. That said, definitely investigate credit union options as well.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.