Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Aspire vs Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Hilton Aspire vs Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant

I do two long (17 days each) road trips a year across USA. and few short road trips to Washington & California since I live in Portland, Oregon. I do have Hilton Honors Card, have 172000 points plus other points with Choice, Radisson , IHG, no points with Marriot and Hyatt. Non Hilton Hotels I use my American Express Green Card for booking, I do have Platinum & Gold cards. Are any of these cards worth getting it, I am authorized user on my wife's Marriott Bonvoy Bold & IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card. I am not eligible for any Chase credit cards since I am far over 5/24 :-(

Note: I can use the monthly dining credit Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant easily, as I do with $10 monthly dining credit with American Express Gold card.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Hilton Aspire vs Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant

I mean are you having dissatisfaction with Hilton and your stays? If you don't I do not see the point of moving away from them unless you're wanting to maybe do a trial run of Marriott stays to see if you like their rooms/service more. Might make more sense to apply for the Aspire or see if you have maybe perhaps have an upgrade offer so you can keep your current card and not take a new account hit; you won't get the whole signup bonus this way just as a heads up

Message 2 of 19
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I mean are you having dissatisfaction with Hilton and your stays? If you don't I do not see the point of moving away from them unless you're wanting to maybe do a trial run of Marriott stays to see if you like their rooms/service more. Might make more sense to apply for the Aspire or see if you have maybe perhaps have an upgrade offer so you can keep your current card and not take a new account hit; you won't get the whole signup bonus this way just as a heads up

My stays with the Hilton brand hotels have been good, my main priority is a clean room and shower, never hurts to be in upscale hotel with a great sale on rooms.

Message 3 of 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

My stays with the Hilton brand hotels have been good, my main priority is a clean room and shower, never hurts to be in upscale hotel with a great sale on rooms.

I would stick with Hilton especially if their services and prices are to your liking, upgrade/apply for the Aspire if you feel like you will take advantage of the benefits for the card especially considering the annual fee. Even if it is just for the SUB it might be worth regardless

Message 4 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I think this is a question like Honda vs Toyota, Kia vs Hyundi or Ford vs GM.  I do not expect clear answer.

I still stick with Marriott.  No love with Hilton since I've not stayed with them for years.  Just do not have the need.  But if you are familiar with Hilton and want to stick around with it, it is just fine.

Message 5 of 19
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Well $300 monthly dining credits or $250 airline credit you can use all at once ?

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 19
mrskitty
Valued Member

Great question because I have been thinking about these two cards. I decided that I will go with Hilton because of the $250 airline credit. I do like Marriot though. 

USAALimitless- $18750
Capital One Quicksilver One- $3560
Navy Fed Flagship- $25000
Chase Sapphire Reserve- $24000
Hilton Aspire- $24000
Venture X- $20,000
Hilton Business- $10,000
AMEX Blue Business Plus- $10,000
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Gold
AMEX Green
Message 7 of 19
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Will this trigger Hard Pull or Soft Pull/Amex Hilton Surpass 150K SUB/Chrome/Incognito

Message 8 of 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Will this trigger Hard Pull or Soft Pull/Amex Hilton Surpass 150K SUB/Chrome/Incognito

While it's not a guarantee that you will be SP'd for the app the odds are in your favor that it will be as a cardholder already. We have had reports of the occasional HP even for those that have been customers with AMEX for years. In other words it should be a SP but don't be surprised if you're the unlucky contestant at a HP either

Message 9 of 19
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will this trigger Hard Pull or Soft Pull/Amex Hilton Surpass 150K SUB/Chrome/Incognito

@simplynoir wrote:

While it's not a guarantee that you will be SP'd for the app the odds are in your favor that it will be as a cardholder already. We have had reports of the occasional HP even for those that have been customers with AMEX for years. In other words it should be a SP but don't be surprised if you're the unlucky contestant at a HP either

I did apply for Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express Card on Friday, approved and will be delivered today. I have the feeling a Pop Up Jail will show up if I apply for the card today. It is odd that Aspire $450 Annual Fee has the same 150K SUB as Surpass $95 Annual Fee.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.