cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Use 8 Cards Systematically?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Can I Use 8 Cards Systematically?

You got bad "professional advice", 3 cards is enough to build a solid 800+ profile, anything more than that should be based on earning rewards to reduce the cost of living, unless you're a CC churner. Opening so many new accounts in such short period of time can also invite negative and unwanted attention from your current and new lenders which can lead to AA (Adverse Action), something we read about often on this board.

And if those were the cards the said adviser recommended, I would post here for advice instead next time.

Message 11 of 25
Caught750
Valued Contributor

This! While I'm not sure about financial advisors at a CU that's neither here nor there. I also added a base of cards to overload the negatives on my reports and the last several have been cards I really wanted and will benefit from the most. Now I'm gardening for one or two more keeper, extremely beneficial, cards.

I'd agree with IT for categories, BCE for groceries, and DC for everything else as well.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

What particular goals are you trying to acheive?

Message 13 of 25
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Slight detour. I use one card for all out of pocket medical/dental expenses. Much easier to get things organized at tax time. I chose my oldest card to keep some spend on it. It's not the greatest rewards card but I want to keep that oldie active.

Message 14 of 25
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

Slight detour. I use one card for all out of pocket medical/dental expenses. Much easier to get things organized at tax time. I chose my oldest card to keep some spend on it. It's not the greatest rewards card but I want to keep that oldie active.

EDIT: I should have wrote that one card is used for out of pocket med/dent exclusively. Nothing else on that card.

Message 15 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Do yourself a favor and never go back to that advisor. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. I dont know what kind of income you have, but most people would have a hard time spreading good use across 10+ cards. Oldman is right. After your 3rd card you no longer see any scoring benefits for adding card accounts. You would have to add an active installment loan for the last of the bonus points.

Seeing as how you're too young to drunk app, then you must be under 21. Here's some advice I wish I had gotten at that age. Save up $1500, more would be preferable, and go see an investor at Charles Schwab, or Vanguard, or whoever you like. If you have serious financial goals, that should have been your first stop. You can always rebuild a savings or your credit, but you can never get back that lost time for investing. Building your credit only makes incurring debt more accessible. Make your money work for you and do it early.

@Save-n-Invest

Message 16 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Sorry, wasnt trying to tag you save-n-invest

Message 17 of 25
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Here is a tip.

You don't have to worry about cards that will maximize your rewards because you will be using them all the time.

Now lets talk about sock drawer cards which are cards that don't earn as much as your go to cards. You need to use those cards at least once every 6 month. All you need to do is make a schedule and have it rotate across those cards. You can use one card every month or use them all every quarter but make a schedule. Now the thing is you don't really wanna put actual transactions on them because then you don't earn much on those transactions. So what you can do is go to Amazon.com and reload your gift card balance by $1/per useless card. Repeat this for all useless cards when it's their turn to be used and whenever you buy something from Amazon just pay using this gift card.

Thanks,

Message 18 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

When you go to use your cards ,if you are shooting for rewards just use the one you have that offers the most back for your spend. If at the moment its just a swipe, use the card every 3-6 months and you should be fineSmiley Happy. We dont really need 10 cards for most things in life but dorsnt mean we cant have them. Remember here on this forum the majority here are all about rewards, and thats cool, but at the end of the day , only you can decide what works for you. Enjoy your new cards, learn their benefits and you will find the best way to make them growSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Others have already given this advice, but I'll just reiterate what they've said: Discover It for the 5% categories (which usually include things like restaurants, groceries, and gas...which most every human being can use), AmEx BCE for groceries (when it's not a Discover category), and Citi Double Cash for everything else. This will maximize your rewards, and these are three good "keeper" cards that also keep your history growing with three different lenders. 

You have three CapOne cards, so if you're interested in keeping a good relationship with them, maybe put Netflix or something on the most valuable of those cards and set it to autopay. 

I'm not sure what the motivation was for the Venture One, but it's essentially a travel card, so any points you earn on that one must be redeemed for travel. It comes with a 20,000 point sign-up bonus after $1,000 spend in the first three months too, which equals $212.50 that you can spend on travel. So my suggestion is that when you get this card, use it for everything until you meet the $1,000 minimum spend requirement to receive the sign-up bonus. Then you can go back to using Discover, AmEx, and Citi DC. 

I had one card for most of my life up until 2016 when I discovered how useful these things can be, and that I had excellent credit and could basically get any card I wanted. I had a vacation coming up, and I apped with the goal in mind of helping pay for that vacation. I'm not sure of the exact count now, because I've opened and already closed some of those cards, but I think I opened 15 cards in a year. Many of them got used for their sign-up bonus and stuffed in the sock drawer. Some of those I've closed myself since, some are just sitting their until they get closed by the cc company. I don't want the headache of keeping up with that many different cards, and I have/had them with every major cc issuer (AmEx, BOA, Barclays, CapOne, Chase, Citi, Discover). Having 5 or fewer valuable rewards cards that all serve their specific purpose is much more to my taste. I have 8 cards right now that never get any spend, 1 that gets Netflix and Spotify on it just to keep it active, and three that are always in my purse and get used for all of my spending. It makes it much easier than trying to juggle 12 cards and remember which ones I'm using for what and when. 

My advice is to be a little more particular in the future about what cards you pick up. I got some that I should never have gotten, which wasted inquiries (which ding your credit) and now are chunked in a drawer doing absolutely nothing aside from boosting my available credit. I'd rather boost that number by having useful cards with high credit lines, and am culling and growing appropriately to make that happen. I'd strongly suggest not falling into the same mistakes I made for your future apps. 

Congrats though! It always feels nice to be "accepted" for a new card. In fact, I think it can be downright addictive. So be careful of that too. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.