Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do Auto-CLIs Happen?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

How Do Auto-CLIs Happen?

Does anyone know how auto-CLIs happen? If we try to initiate an increase over the phone, we call in. talk to a person, they ask questions, look over our credit report and then it's either yes or no.  But for an auto increase, are their computers programmed to bump the limit up after "x" amount of time if there are no missed payments or are their other factors? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: How Do Auto-CLIs Happen?

It all depends on the issuer.  Some will auto-CLI after 6 months with some use and good history, others will never do it.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

There are factors involved. But as long as you use their card. Keep your reports clean. Pay on time and pif. Depending on what company it is. 

ive received them from a couple different companies but yeah.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 13
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

I believe the computer systems include some formula with : Time as an account holder, payment and usage history, etc. I really wish I knew what would make Discover and Citi give Auto-CLIs as I can't seem to find the right formula with them. Any one willing to share their pattern with any of these 2 banks? 

Message 4 of 13
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Most of the time, i guess used your card heavy and paid it as soon as possible.

75% they increase limit for heavy user.....i might be wrong ;-(

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Discover seems to like people carrying and paying down balances, at least they like it when my boyfriend does it!!! Hasn't had the card for a year (opened May 2012) and they've bumped him twice from $1250 to $1500 to most recently $1900! High balance was around $900+ now down to mid $700s...go figure...my brother has an account as well and they haven't done anything for him, polar opposite of boyfriend, makes small purchases then PIF, has had account since June 2012, still at $5000

Then again, I could be comparing apples to oranges...brother received preselected mailing for Open Road Student (?) (Discover account does not list it as a Student Open Road, however), while boyfriend applied for the More, was denied, but offered the $1250 card instead, not sure what kind of rewards, if any, it has, or what card it actually is.

Message 6 of 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Use the cards, pay your bills, Doesn't have to be paid in full I  have recieved in Auto-CLI's in cases where I have paid in full, and in cases where I have balances showing in fact most of the time I have been given auto-CLI's  it has been when I have been carrying a balance. The exception is AMEX who apparently doesn't like you to carry a balance for long periods even on there revolvers. 

Amazon (GE)  - Auto-CLI with a balance showing, and requested CLI's in both cases. 

First National Bank Omaha - Auto-CLI with a balance showing about 30% UTL on the card, I got the card for the 12 months 0% interest deal

Walmart (GE)  - no Auto-CLI yet, I just ask and every 4 months they say yes and give me a CLI. 

While Auto-CLI's are nice to get the reality is, if you want a higher credit limit on your cards ask for them. If you have been a good customer and paid all your other bills, with no recent baddies, and have the necessary income it will probably be granted. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Do everything right, and then get lucky.

Please note that the lender's criteria of what's right changes on average 18.465 times every day while the lunar phase is waxing, and on average 19.948 times every day while it's waning.  On new and full moons, auto-CLI's don't happen.

Tongue-in-cheek notwithstanding, with many lenders you may as well use a Oujia board to predict it.  Personally I don't count on any auto CLI ever happening to me; if it does, then I'll simply be very pleasantly surprised. 

        
Message 8 of 13
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Do everything right, and then get lucky.

Please note that the lender's criteria of what's right changes on average 18.465 times every day while the lunar phase is waxing, and on average 19.948 times every day while it's waning.  On new and full moons, auto-CLI's don't happen.

Tongue-in-cheek notwithstanding, with many lenders you may as well use a Oujia board to predict it.  Personally I don't count on any auto CLI ever happening to me; if it does, then I'll simply be very pleasantly surprised. 

So PIF or keep balances low and you should be a shoe-in for a CLI? Is that what you were trying to say?

Message 9 of 13
TJDgator

daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Discover seems to like people carrying and paying down balances, at least they like it when my boyfriend does it!!! Hasn't had the card for a year (opened May 2012) and they've bumped him twice from $1250 to $1500 to most recently $1900! High balance was around $900+ now down to mid $700s...go figure...my brother has an account as well and they haven't done anything for him, polar opposite of boyfriend, makes small purchases then PIF, has had account since June 2012, still at $5000

Then again, I could be comparing apples to oranges...brother received preselected mailing for Open Road Student (?) (Discover account does not list it as a Student Open Road, however), while boyfriend applied for the More, was denied, but offered the $1250 card instead, not sure what kind of rewards, if any, it has, or what card it actually is.

I agree with this as well, when I first got my discover I payed it in full for the first couple months. Since I was still in the 0% phase I decided to carry a balance and once the statement cut I receieved an auto-cli.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.