cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Does It Take for a Bill Pay From CapOne Checking to CapOne Card to Show Up?

tag
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

How Long Does It Take for a Bill Pay From CapOne Checking to CapOne Card to Show Up?

My BF used his bill pay Capital One 360 Checking account to make a payment on his Capital One Quicksilver account (there are some pending charges and he wants to make sure it reports $0.00 - statement closes today). He was curious of two things:

1. If it says deliver on 20 September, does that mean it will show up on the account 20th, or just that they will initiate the payment on the 20th?
  2. If it shows up on the account today, will it post as of today (so that it would zero any pending charges)?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
captainwesman

Re: How Long Does It Take for a Bill Pay From CapOne Checking to CapOne Card to Show Up?

Mine always post same-day. YMMV.

Message 2 of 13
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Re: How Long Does It Take for a Bill Pay From CapOne Checking to CapOne Card to Show Up?

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

My BF used his bill pay Capital One 360 Checking account to make a payment on his Capital One Quicksilver account (there are some pending charges and he wants to make sure it reports $0.00 - statement closes today). He was curious of two things:

1. If it says deliver on 20 September, does that mean it will show up on the account 20th, or just that they will initiate the payment on the 20th?
  2. If it shows up on the account today, will it post as of today (so that it would zero any pending charges)?

YMMV, but it should post the next day or so. If a charge is "pending" when the statement cuts it should not be part of the statement balance when it turns over, but I have had it happen a few times. If his statement end date is the 20th, than any charges that are posted, and not paid by midnight tonight will be considered part of the statement balance and they will report that number.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 3 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's initiated/credited today, but it may not actually post today, especially if the statement closes today. YMMV.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 13
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

I have 2 cap 1 cards. when i pay via my checking account that amount instantly becomes available for use however the actual payment is completed in 1 or 2 days. the payment counts on the day i make it. I receive an email from cap 1 after the payment officially posts.

EDIT - I always pull the payment from my checking, i never pushed a payment.

Its a breeze if you pull from your cc page rather than push from checking bill pay.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 13
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I have 2 cap 1 cards. when i pay via my checking account that amount instantly becomes available for use however the actual payment is completed in 1 or 2 days. the payment counts on the day i make it. I receive an email from cap 1 after the payment officially posts.

EDIT - I always pull the payment from my checking, i never pushed a payment.

Its a breeze if you pull from your cc page rather than push from checking bill pay.

He always pulls for the posted balance. He only uses Bill Pay when he wants to pay over the current balance owed.

The payment shows up on his account now, have to check to see if it posts tonight and when the other pending charges get posted.

Message 6 of 13
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

Next datapoint: As was also true with his Bank of America account, the card now shows a balance of -$850, but still shows processing. The pending charges have not yet posted, but total $300 less than that, so if this means that it will show up as paid today, it does not matter if the pending charges post or not. :-)

I guess we will know when the new statement prints.

Message 7 of 13
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

The payment posted, but all the pending charges have not. That leaves him with -$836 as his balance, so it did process the same day bill pay push. I expect all the other charges will process tomorrow, but given that the balance more than covers them, it should be fine.

Message 8 of 13
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

The payment posted, but all the pending charges have not. That leaves him with -$836 as his balance, so it did process the same day bill pay push. I expect all the other charges will process tomorrow, but given that the balance more than covers them, it should be fine.

I guess im old school, i just wait the extra day or so until all the pending charges post. It makes life easy, no stress.

I guess to each his own but in my case i avoid the angst, whats a day or two? I usually pay well in advance of the due date.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 13
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I guess im old school, i just wait the extra day or so until all the pending charges post. It makes life easy, no stress.

I guess to each his own but in my case i avoid the angst, whats a day or two? I usually pay well in advance of the due date.

Cannot wait until charges post if one wants to make sure that one has a zero balance when the card reports. As I noted, the charges were mistakenly charged by Hyatt, and although refunded, there was (and still it) no way of knowing if the refund would hit before the charges post.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.