cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Negative To Cancel Card Within First Year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Negative To Cancel Card Within First Year?

I'm thinking of the same, except with the Amex PRG because 50k MR is a solid deal but I won't cover anywhere near the $195 if I keep it. @MrDisco aren't you still avoiding the fee and so, possibly subject to the adverse action or does that apply only if cancelled within a year
Message 11 of 19
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@I'm thinking of the same, except with the Amex PRG because 50k MR is a solid deal but I won't cover anywhere near the $195 if I keep it. @MrDisco aren't you still avoiding the fee and so, possibly subject to the adverse action or does that apply only if cancelled within a year

I have no idea how they will interpret my request to cancel next year.  Keeping the card for that long would seem to make a pretty good case that I gave the card a shot, though.  Especially if I continued to use it during that time.  I guess we'll find out then.

I think the ones they're really after are the ones who sign up for Plat, snag the bonus and $400 of Delta gift cards, and cancel early to get a prorated refund of the first year AF.  That's kinda shady.  I don't think they're really concerned with someone like me who's enjoying a card that they decided to make free for the first year.  I'm still going to keep it that long just in case, though.  It won't cost me anything to take that precaution.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the OP was looking for responses geared toward potential AA, not responses with respect to age of accounts.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@I'm thinking of the same, except with the Amex PRG because 50k MR is a solid deal but I won't cover anywhere near the $195 if I keep it. @MrDisco aren't you still avoiding the fee and so, possibly subject to the adverse action or does that apply only if cancelled within a year

I have no idea how they will interpret my request to cancel next year.  Keeping the card for that long would seem to make a pretty good case that I gave the card a shot, though.  Especially if I continued to use it during that time.  I guess we'll find out then.

I think the ones they're really after are the ones who sign up for Plat, snag the bonus and $400 of Delta gift cards, and cancel early to get a prorated refund of the first year AF.  That's kinda shady.  I don't think they're really concerned with someone like me who's enjoying a card that they decided to make free for the first year.  I'm still going to keep it that long just in case, though.  It won't cost me anything to take that precaution.

That's totally up to you. If it's ok with you to keep it longer keep it it. Either way I don't think it would hurt. Like others have said it will stay on you file up to 10 yrs as a good account.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like some already said - If it is becaue of the bonus DO NOT close it as you will get your account reviewed and card freeze...and even all your AMEX cards.

I got an offer on my AMEX Delta Platinum and the small print is there warning you not to do this.  Pay the annual and keep it for another year.  This is why we always say to only apply for a card that you will actually use/need.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got an offer on my AMEX Delta Platinum and the small print is there warning you not to do this.  Pay the annual and keep it for another year.  This is why we always say to only apply for a card that you will actually use/need.

Good luck Smiley Happy

This is not always true.  Sometimes you want to try out different cards to explore the benefits.  But you can certainly change your mind after a while if the new cards just do not fit your needs.

Look at all your credit cards in your wallet, in your draw, your closet and your shoeboxes.  How many cards do you have and how many cards do you use reguarly.  People say do not keep more than 5 CCs with active usage of balances.  Many people here have 20+ credit cards.  Some may have 50 of the cards.

Message 16 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think both AmEx PRG and SPG have the first year AFs waived because it wants to give people a chance to try the card benefits.  AmEx would be ok if you cancell it early and tell them this card does not fit your needs.  

But if you did it before and there is a pattern of abuse, AmEx may not like this and your account can be flagged.  I just do not have the data point to back it up.  I'm thinking this should be ok for once in every two years.  But not once a year.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck Smiley Happy

This is not always true.  You're right, not alway true...but do you want to find out the hard way? Sometimes you want to try out different cards to explore the benefits. 

But you can certainly change your mind after a while if the new cards just do not fit your needs. Yes, but on AMEX's eyes, how convenient it is to close it before the AF hits...they know people do this all the time and say they wanted to try etc and walk away with bonunes.  Not saying that you are, you probably were trying the card and it really doesn't fit you, but AMEX sometimes will think otherwise, that is why they have these new rules.

Look at all your credit cards in your wallet, in your draw, your closet and your shoeboxes.  How many cards do you have and how many cards do you use reguarly.  People say do not keep more than 5 CCs with active usage of balances.  Many people here have 20+ credit cards.  Some may have 50 of the cards.  People say this and that, there is no right amount of CCs to have.  Everything you see in my signature is all i have.  I did get some of cards for the bonuses and do keep them because i actually use them.  Some cards i only get to increase my CL but have no AF.

Message 18 of 19
Hex
Valued Contributor

Even if you close it it will be still be considered into your AAA's. Closed accounts still continue to age while they sit on your report for ten years. So you want lose any points for ten years. That's with FICO Scores FACO Scores only count open accounts so your FACOs will drop but that doesn't really matter.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.